All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

A nice way to end a practice session

Paul

Following on from a previous posting about having fun. As a novice, i too practice scales and try to concentrate on being technically as good as i can be, at the level i am at.
But just recently i have been ending a session by taking off my glasses turning the lights out and just enjoying the sounds of the instrument. It dosn't matter what you do, or what sounds you make, but it is very theraputic and a really nice way to end a session.Just go with the flow for 10-15 mins
Paul

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
I've started playing in the dark recently, too. There's something about shutting out visual distractions that makes it so peaceful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamesmac

I play in the dark even when the lights on.

I had to laugh when I read this:) But it's not uncommon. Many years ago I was fortunate to take some lessons with Donald Westlake, then principal Clarinet of the Sydney Sym. he described in a lesson how imagining yourself playing in a closed type of bubble helps your concentration. I think it was in ref to myself getting nervous wham playing a solo in public.
jamesmac

trimmy

One day i will...
It's a good idea what Artylady suggests (which i also do) i also put the radio on (smooth fm/jazz fm) and try to play along to the tracks being played. A lot of the times badly !

Mike

I sit in the dark and only imagine I'm playing the sax....I usually sound better!

altissimo

"just enjoying the sounds of the instrument. It dosn't matter what you do, or what sounds you make"

"just play anything that comes into my mind, relax and enjoy it"

there's more wisdom in those 2 sentences than you may think...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
I've started playing in the dark recently, too. There's something about shutting out visual distractions that makes it so peaceful.
It's also a really good way to encourage focussing on your sound- my old teacher used to recommend practicing tone excercises in the dark .. whcih made good sense to me....

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Does it count if you trip over your sax in the dark, then make a sound?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom