All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

A new exercise

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
Found a new exercise yesterday and have been working on it today - It's from Marcel Mule and I found it in a reference from an interview with Eric Marienthal - I'll quote to save typing:

Q. Within your practice time, what would be your usual routine?
EM. It involved mostly the Marcel Mule etude books. Actually, at the time I would start off with a warm-up exercise that is a chromatic scale where every note comes back to the tonic (like low Bb, B, Bb, C, Bb, C#, Bb, D, etc.). Start on low Bb, do that one twice, then B natural, go all the way up then all the way back down. It takes about fifteen minutes.

I like the last sentence: "It takes about fifteen minutes." o_O
I spent a couple of hours on it and didn't even get half way - I'm Knackaraiyed.

He goes on to say:

EM: And then there’s a Jean-Marie Londeix book that’s only nine pages long. It has these four-note motifs, about fifty per page, that you repeat eight times each. They are technically challenging. That ended up being an hour warm-up. Then I would go into the three Marcel Mule books. I tell you, I almost got addicted to all these books. I didn’t do the exact same ones every day, but in a four-hour period I could do the chromatic thing, then the Londeix book and then maybe one of the other books: I’d try to make it all the way through successfully.

Ouch ! gruss - spike

Jamesmac

I found the Chromatic Ex Interesting, as I do them the other way around.
ie. Bb. A. Bb. Ab. etc.:)
PS. Has a sort of water disappearing down the plug hole effect.

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Is that the same interview where Eric says sometimes he feels like throwing his sax out the window?:w00t:

I read that particular interview and thought it happens to him as well...:rofl:

Greg S.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
EM. It involved mostly the Marcel Mule etude books. Actually, at the time I would start off with a warm-up exercise that is a chromatic scale where every note comes back to the tonic (like low Bb, B, Bb, C, Bb, C#, Bb, D, etc.). Start on low Bb, do that one twice, then B natural, go all the way up then all the way back down. It takes about fifteen minutes.

My tutor suggested that to me I did it on D maj scale tongued and slurred, it does take some concentration. :)

Jx

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom