support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

A new beginning

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
I stopped my lessons a year ago as I didn't feel I was progressing and I wanted to concentrate on my grade 5 theory exam. Since then I've changed jobs and moved house and playing has really taken a back seat.

Tomorrow I have my first lesson with a new tutor, hoping to get back into some serious practice and see some progress!

Wish me luck!

Jx

Good luck !!!!!!!!!!! Have fun again !!!!!!!!! I just finished my first mouthpiece reface . I opened up an ancient Riffault mouthpiece .... and I feel like I’m the king of the universe..... sometimes changes and resets in out playing give that extra boost ......
Thumbs up from Athens !

Great to hear, Jeanette!

Do you play in groups these days?For me, that's the main thing that (every now and then) motivates me to practice!

I can well imagine that your 'playing' has been on the backburner for a while.

I don't know whether this is relevant but in the past - and even now - I still feel that that I need to be 'relaxed enough'' to pick up my sax and play/practice. In my (real) life, this rarely happens. There's always something else going on that saps my time, energy, etc. This new (Big Band) season, ,I hope to play sax more as a form of of relaxation. So rather than think "I'm stressed out and have no time/energy/motivation to play/practice", I want to 're-frame' this into ''playing sax helps me relax and relieve stress" .This might sound stupid but for me, there is a distinction between playing sax just for fun/relaxation) and 'practicing specific pieces' which I feel obligated to practice and feel guilty if I don't.

I have absolutely no experience in this kind of stuff (and I have absolutely no insight into your musical/sax ambitions) but my gut feeling (just as a suggestion) is that you keep your sax playing light/playful/enjoyable, interesting, and emotionally rewarding..Whenever playing sax or studying become an "obligation" (perhaps based on a previous agreement), it's a warning sign to stop and take stock..

You contribute so very much to the cafe, Jeanette. I really do hope that you find new inspiration on sax

FWIW I think students need to 'click' (in whatever way) with a tutor, feel you're progressing and that she or he is really helping you do that. IHMO a good tutor helps you stay motivated too. For example by regularly letting you know where and how you're making progress (even if you don't realise it. I don't that you have to like each other personally. But just feel that 'this is someone who's competent and can help me develop'.

Just as an aside: between the ages of 10 and 17, one of my daughters studied classical ballet at quite a high level (a preparatory training for the Dutch National Ballet company). In her final school year, she switched to a more general dance/drama/vocal course in which she wanted to do her degree course (which she completed). At her school, the Dutch ballet teachers were relatively 'interpersonal' with students, knew their names, capabilities and limitations. Although at the end of year they 'culled' the student group of anyone who they felt had not made sufficient progress or had demonstrated insufficient talent to progress to the following year. To know that you each year run the risk of being thrown out of the ballet study group is hard for kids between the ages of 12 and 17. even harder for the 50% or more who at some stage were thrown out.!

For one year, my daughter's ballet group had a 'guest' Russian ballet teacher who had previously danced with either the Bolshoi or Kirov ballet and taught ballet in n Russia. Her teaching style'' was very different from the 'Dutch teaching style': impersonal, focussed on what individual students did (very slightly) wrongly ("corrections") and she as very authoritative. And yet, my daughter felt that the ballet group respected her more- and learned more from her - than the Dutch teachers.

Mike
I stopped my lessons a year ago as I didn't feel I was progressing and I wanted to concentrate on my grade 5 theory exam. Since then I've changed jobs and moved house and playing has really taken a back seat.

Tomorrow I have my first lesson with a new tutor, hoping to get back into some serious practice and see some progress!

Wish me luck!

Jx

Last edited:
I don't know whether this is relevant but in the past - and even now - I still feel that that I need to be 'relaxed enough'' to pick up my sax and play/practice. In my (real) life, this rarely happens. There's always something else going on that saps my time, energy, etc. This new (Big Band) season, ,I hope to play sax more as a form of of relaxation. So rather than think "I'm stressed out and have no time/energy/motivation to play/practice", I want to 're-frame' this into ''playing sax helps me relax and relieve stress" .This might sound stupid but for me, there is a distinction between playing sax just for fun/relaxation) and 'practicing specific pieces' which I feel obligated to practice and feel guilty if I don't.
I agree. For me, with a busy life outside music, playing is a hugely effective, energizing diversion.

Wish me luck!

Jx
Best luck!

Also, thank you for your work in support of the café.

Thanks all. I've continued to play with the café Septet during this period which I really love. It's the one group I am sufficiently relaxed and comfortable with to just have a go.

I stopped playing with the community group just before Christmas but will be going back to it in September, my new tutor takes one of the groups I'd like to join but felt was a bit beyond my capabilities so hopefully she can direct my teaching around that.

@MikeMorrell I've always found my sax sessions a great stress reliever even if I was focusing on something difficult. I've just lost that daily habit of playing, often I've just been too tired.

Jx