All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

A More Individual Title

Farmer_John

Hi,

I stumbled across Cafe Saxophone while trying to find out if the sheet music for 'Will You' by Wes McGoogan is available. I didn't find it, but this could prove to be just as useful!

Following advice, I've called this 'A More Individual Title', which is more than odd.

For myself, I'm based on a farm (hence the name) in mid-Wales and took up sax just over two years ago. Like many here, I'm also a late starter, probably later than most, and wish I'd done this a long time ago. On the other hand, I had a spell as a pro drummer and wouldn't swap that time in my life for anything.

I passed Grade 4 last year and am now working on Grade 6, but my sight reading is dragging its heels, being around Grade 2, if that!

Very much looking forward to chatting to other like-minded people - being 'in the sticks', I'm very much isolated sax-wise.

Cheers,

John

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Guess we'd better cut the drummer jokes, but at least you've seen the light... Tell us more - who you played with, what sax you have...

Most important, have fun here!

rhysonsax

Subscriber
Welcome Farmer John to the friendly Caff.

It sounds like you have made good progress with your grades - what board and jazz or classical ?

Rhys

PS If you would like my transcription of Will You ? then drop me a PM with your email address.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe John:)

Plenty of late starters here, hope you enjoy your sax journey.

Jx

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Farmer John.

The UK did better against Argentina than we did last Saturday :shocked:. Also beware of Farmer Giles >:).

ENJOY!​™

TomMapfumo

Hi John!

A Big Welcome from the Skabertawe Young Farmers Hot Five, down by yer in South Wales, mind! So where in Mid Wales are you?
Are you doing ABRSM grades? What sax are you playing at the moment?

Anyway I hope that you have a really good time here and I look forward to hearing how you develop over the coming weeks and months.

Kind regards
Tom

Zeus

Welcome John, your sax wise isolation has just ended, a whole new world has just opened, and it's fulfilling to be a part of!

Farmer_John

Hi Kevgermany,

Fire away with the drummer jokes - I think I've heard them all!

I played with a band in the North of Scotland called Mosaic, along with several others. Last band I played in was called the Instigators, in Oxfordshire/Berkshire. That was about 15 years ago. I recently bought a Roland electric kit, which is a dream to play, and it sees some action most weekends at jam sessions. Had I known how much fun it was being a drummer, yet being able to read and talk about music theory to guitarists, I'd have learned a long time ago! :)

I have an alto Yamaha YAS275 as the sax I mainly play, but I also have an elaborately engraved Dearman President. As I sit here, there is a Selmer VII next to me, but I'm taking it back tomorrow (guy's selling it, but I think it's over-priced). And I have a Yamaha something-or-other tenor sax which I haven't played yet.

I'm really glad I found this site - everyone seems so very friendly.

Farmer_John

Hi rhysonsax,

Thank you for the welcome!

I'm doing the grades with ABRSM, which is neither classical nor jazz, although I do prefer the former. I'm doing Rachmaninoff's 'Vocalise' for the Grade 6, but it shouldn't really be played on a sax (not the way I play, anyhow). The ABRSM book for music theory is one of the worst books it has ever been my misfortune to have to read, so if anyone can recommend a better source for self-teaching, I'd like to know about it.

Thank you for the kind offer of 'Will You' - as soon as I figure out how to pm you, I'll send my email address.

Cheers,

John

Farmer_John

The UK did better against Argentina than we did last Saturday :shocked:. Also beware of Farmer Giles >:).

Hi OG,

I assume you're referring to the rugby! I was at the match, which is more than can be said for most of the Welsh team. However, I'm actually Scottish, so wasn't too upset... until Sunday. NZ are just too good.

Thanks for the warning about Farmer Giles (the missing underscore shows he's from the dark side) - I'll watch my back. :)

John

Farmer_John

Welcome to the cafe John:)

Plenty of late starters here, hope you enjoy your sax journey.

Jx

Thank you, Jeanette. I've been enjoying it so far, but getting frustrated that my brain is 20x faster than my fingers these days. Looking on the bright side, it will be a damn site more frustrating when it's the other way around!

John

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Hi John,

From a farm at another end of the country! A braver person than me going for the exams...well done!

Enjoy life here.

Cheers,

Amanda

Farmer_John

Hi Tom,

I'm just outside Builth Wells, a couple of miles or so from the Royal Welsh Showground.

Yes, I'm doing ABRSM - grade 6 music and grade 5 theory. Winds me up that I have to sing bits and tap out beats (so singers and drummers have to play bits on the sax to pass their grades?). Just sayin'... :) I'm trying to rattle through the grades for two reasons: (i) my teacher is young and new, so could do with some students who are 'higher up'; and (ii) I need to get there quickly before arthritis stops me playing (although the Welsh National Anthem is nice and slow)!

If you're ever coming to the Royal Welsh Show, let me know and we can busk together next to the guy who, every year, assures us we're all doomed to hell. Now there's a thought.

Cheers,

John

Farmer_John

Hi John,

From a farm at another end of the country! A braver person than me going for the exams...well done!

Enjoy life here.

Cheers,

Amanda

Thank you, Amanda. I used to be in your part of the world and my kids were born in Elgin/Aberdeen respectively. If anyone you know can remember a band called Mosaic from the late 70s, I was the one at the back making all the noise.

I'm only doing the exams to help out my teacher, but it's a yardstick of sorts. Hardest part is sight-reading something you've never seen before - my eyes don't work like they used to and the music stand is never high enough! But I have to say I'm loving it.

Like me, I don't suppose you have any problem with neighbours! On the other hand, we have peacocks and they think a sax is something they can mate with.

Cheers,

John

Top Bottom