All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

A maligned instrument?!

Halfers

Finger Flapper
A normal Media type article, full of assumptions, stereotypes and errors! But at least a forum member gets a name check... No idea if any Country based blocks to the linked article apply.

Stephen Howard

I got as far as "the never-ending solo on Gerry Rafferty’s “Baker Street”. It was rock’s answer to Alan Partridge – naff and oblivious to its own ridiculousness." and stopped reading.

I mean, for a start, the solo wasn't even close to never ending. And, strictly speaking, it wasn't a solo either...it was a riff (the guitar got the solo). And it originally started off as a guitar riff.#

And since when was it "Music's most maligned instrument"? Looks like the usual clickbait guff turned out by bored hack with a deadline to meet.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Often you get a ludicrous headline and a relatively sensible article, but on this occasion the quality of both are pretty equal. @Jules were you aware you've made the big time?

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Often you get a ludicrous headline and a relatively sensible article, but on this occasion the quality of both are pretty equal. @Jules were you aware you've made the big time?
I did not- I remember the writer emailing me a while ago but had forgotten all about it.
"The Cheese sprinkled on middle of the road pop"- he's obviously never heard..er ... I've started this sentence but where to go next is so vast I'm not sure where to start- James, Chance, Stax and Daptone soul, most ska, Van der Graaf Generator, Colin Stetson, The Rolling Stones, The E street band, Los Lobos, etc etc...

Clivey

The thing about this article is that though being typically clickbaitesque in nature it is right about one thing and that is about the resurgence of horns in music made by "the youngers" just go to Bandcamp for evidence of all the great diversity albeit mainly derivative ( what music ain't?) There's great stuff out there and lots of bands with all kinds of once exotic instrumentation. only available to the wealthiest and community band and orchestra members
The availability of cheap Chinese musical instruments is making it's mark now and will continue to as more kids get the chance to lay their hands on the instrument of their dreams.
So we can look forward to seeing and hearing some great stuff rolling out in most popular and once popular genres.
The flip side is that recorded music is virtually financially valueless as a result of this ubiquity. Those of us here that record and publish will attest that their motives are more about the listens than most of the other stuff.
That's just a fact, couple this with an anticipated increase in the competition for lucrative live work and even busking pitches, Yerp. even they are becoming oversubscribed as more and more quality appears from the groundswell and it really does look like interesting times ahead.

I suspect that it's all going to come down to the love of it very soon.

Halfers

Finger Flapper
The thing about this article is that though being typically clickbaitesque in nature it is right about one thing and that is about the resurgence of horns in music made by "the youngers" just go to Bandcamp for evidence of all the great diversity albeit mainly derivative ( what music ain't?) There's great stuff out there and lots of bands with all kinds of once exotic instrumentation. only available to the wealthiest and community band and orchestra members
The availability of cheap Chinese musical instruments is making it's mark now and will continue to as more kids get the chance to lay their hands on the instrument of their dreams.
So we can look forward to seeing and hearing some great stuff rolling out in most popular and once popular genres.
The flip side is that recorded music is virtually financially valueless as a result of this ubiquity. Those of us here that record and publish will attest that their motives are more about the listens than most of the other stuff.
That's just a fact, couple this with an anticipated increase in the competition for lucrative live work and even busking pitches, Yerp. even they are becoming oversubscribed as more and more quality appears from the groundswell and it really does look like interesting times ahead.

I suspect that it's all going to come down to the love of it very soon.

Not that I'm ahead of the curve at all (in anything I do), but I remember posting a couple of Years back that it was refreshing to see quite a few of the Mercury Prize nominated Bands of that Year featured Saxophone as a predominant instrument ( I can't find the post, but I think it included Nadine Shah, Sons of Kemet and King Krule)

So, yes, I think the Saxophone is making a comeback in the temporary music scene. It's just the rest of the article that's the issue.

InWalkedBud

Agreed. Doesn't even come close to the banjo or the viola. Bagpipes must be a good candidate, too.
cartoon_harp_n_accordion.jpg

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Not that I'm ahead of the curve at all (in anything I do), but I remember posting a couple of Years back that it was refreshing to see quite a few of the Mercury Prize nominated Bands of that Year featured Saxophone as a predominant instrument ( I can't find the post, but I think it included Nadine Shah, Sons of Kemet and King Krule)
Where Have All the Saxophones Gone?

Jx

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom