All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

A little smooth Jazz

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Nice to hear "smooth jazz" without all those affected inflections. Makes it much more tolerable. Nice playing Sean.
Altissimo is still very rough and (IMHO) needs lots of work or should be left out. Ok for it to scream if a climax, but just doesn't fit as a harsh sound within what is otherwise a flow. Still not sure why you do this other than you somehow think it sounds OK. It doesn't. Like hot sauce: OK if you like it for your own consumption, but putting it all over what is served to others may not be as appropriate.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Nice to hear "smooth jazz" without all those affected inflections. Makes it much more tolerable. Nice playing Sean.
Altissimo is still very rough and (IMHO) needs lots of work or should be left out. Ok for it to scream if a climax, but just doesn't fit as a harsh sound within what is otherwise a flow. Still not sure why you do this other than you somehow think it sounds OK. It doesn't. Like hot sauce: OK if you like it for your own consumption, but putting it all over what is served to others may not be as appropriate.
Good to see you back Wade and in fine form.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Yep, still here and still a critical bastard. Have had family over from Norway for a few weeks so not had much time to listen or give anyone ****. Will post some of my own efforts soon so that everyone can strike back! Ha!

daveysaxboy

Yep, still here and still a critical bastard. Have had family over from Norway for a few weeks so not had much time to listen or give anyone ****. Will post some of my own efforts soon so that everyone can strike back! Ha!
I await your clips >:)

Mike

Really nice playing Sean! I enjoyed the listen!
You're getting better all the time!

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Hopefully Sean doesn't take my criticism as a brick in the face. I've been giving him straight info for many years. When he was still finding his way he would post a track that had growls all through it (he'd just learned how to growl). This is similar. The altissimo is overused and often inappropriate. Altissimo (IMHO) is just about more notes you can play and extending your range. To do this well requires control. Sean often plays his altissimo notes at volume and harshly within a passage where it distorts the flow and seems inappropriate. Altissimo does not always = screaming, or if used only that way, should be saved for just those climax moments instead of used continually. It's the saxophone equivalent to premature ejaculation. Sean is an aspiring pro and is progressing extremely well. This is a fairly obvious fault and becoming a bad habit. It distorts what is otherwise good control, flow and phrasing that gives continuity.

Maybe I’m taking this all too seriously? In my opinion this is a safe place for us to give constructive criticism. If all we do is complement each other it closes off an opportunity for growth. Opinions are subjective by nature, so the OP can take or leave them. As Sean has reminded me in the recent past that he’s a big boy now and can judge these comments for himself.

Mike

Well, so much for trying to get people to brave the elements and contribute their work...

I could just see some of these poor souls who peer into the window of the 'Your sound clips'
sub-forum wanting to contribute but can't get over the hump of having to deal with a Mr. Wade Cornell.

They say to themselves, with determination and vigor, as their reflected inversion indicates imagined strength....
Tomorrow is going to be the day..... I can handle Wade Cornell!!!

Alas,

Only to be confronted night after night enveloped in nighmarish depth................Upon awakening the next morning they wipe the sleep from their labored eyes when immersed in the throes of an overly active rapid eye movement. They wipe their perspired brow from their glistening forehead and breath a sigh of relief. They will continue to safely and peacefully peer through the window of the 'Your sound clips' Today is not the day after all!

Speaking for those who labor in their dreams that have their fantasies squashed while in the midst of theta waves dancing in their heads, they simply embrace the day knowing that their clandestine talents will remain unheeded and have to answer to no one, especially a one Mr Wade Cornell............

LOL.......

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Wade seems to have the rare ability to tailor his criticism to the level of the player. But one should always remember that it's his view, and others may be equally valid. Especially when one moves from the mechanics of playing, into style and interpretation. As long as it's constructive, I don't think anyone serious about improving will object.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I always thought it's because he's Australian?
If you want we can blame it on lots of nationalities. Born and lived in USA until 35. Moved to New Zealand (citizen) for 31 years. Living part time in Australia for past 7 years. Father Hungarian. Mother USA southerner. Wife English. Daughter Norwegian.

All are influences and all to blame. There is even a New York Connection to bring it back to your door Mike. It's all your fault.

I've since posted. This is Sean's post. Save the insults etc. and put on mine.

Mike

Okay, You''re right.....Damn, I knew I was the cause of this.......

Hey man, You knew I was kidding around with My post a few posts ago, right? I'm sensitive....lol

daveysaxboy

I just have to say in the end most of us are just messing about doing home recordings and regardless of ability of a player we can all have a view or opinion but in the end were not doing a cd at Abbey Road.At times i think things can get looked at atad to indepth.We need to remember there is some people who might not take a ruff time well and it could have a big downer effect on them in further learning.Back to Seans thread now.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
I just have to say in the end most of us are just messing about doing home recordings and regardless of ability of a player we can all have a view or opinion but in the end were not doing a cd at Abbey Road.At times i think things can get looked at atad to indepth.We need to remember there is some people who might not take a ruff time well and it could have a big downer effect on them in further learning.Back to Seans thread now.
[FONT=&amp]The intention is certainly not to discourage anyone. However I've considered this a learning site which gives opportunities for everyone ask questions and post tunes to show where they are at. Hopefully I haven't discouraged anyone by giving them honest feedback, which was hopefully always given and taken as CONSTRUCTIVE critiques. Conversely some may think this a social site where it's our obligation to avoid critical thought to ensure we keep some sort of social contract for everyone to only get pats on the back. There are a lot of shades of grey in between. Hopefully I've only given feedback to those who (I thought) wanted or needed a means by which to hear through other’s ears and possibly grow. That is what I seek in posting, so find it hard to imagine others don't do the same. A few posters are recognizable as in their own world and not necessarily wanting to grow or anything much except praise. I avoid commenting on those posts. Others can do the back patting just fine.

I have faith and appreciation for the moderators and their ability to see when and where there are problems and would certainly respect any advice given privately or publically for me to not give these sorts of critiques.

If all posts just receive compliments then compliments become meaningless. Everyone can improve, and I’d hope that a site like this is a safe and comfortable place in which to do this. Most of us will not be frequenting Abbey Road as Davy says, but I think the majority still want to improve and push forward. Is this, or is it not the right place? [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Being that Sean's thread became somewhat sidetracked, I would just like to say that I liked how Sean used the altissimo register. I believe that one part was intentionally meant to be dissonant.... He's a helluva lot better at it then me. Just a personal observation and no way a universal one.

Sure, everyone likes the good, but if we can equalize the good and bad of outside opinion then as a musician, we'll grow. It's human nature to become downtrodden when we think, or for a better approach, we KNOW we did a great job and then we post it and someone didn't like it. The key to this dilemma is to stop placing ourselves inside of another person's head. If we do, then we're bound to an illusion. That's the best advice I could give any musician, or anyone contributing to the arts.

If this is understood and practiced then we can weigh the results of good and bad on equal terms without getting off balance by bad reviews. There are 12 billion ears in the world.....
Good reviews are ridiculously easy to feel good about and don't present a challenge into what really makes us tick. It's the healthiest way I know to produce our own art form. They don't teach this in schools as in a psychological or a philosophical aspect in the arts. Our art form is profoundly personal and in the beginning, with the help of a good teacher, we need guidance. Once that guidance has played it's part in our development then it's time to approach our artform as a direct proponent of who we are and not who anyone else is.

Thinking in terms of "gee, I really wanted them to like what I did" is a bad way to question your creativity......

For example.....Possibly you're onto something with the potential to really be innovative, however, a few individuals didn't like it so you throw the concept out. Why? Obviously because you created an illusion of being in other people's heads instead of your own. I'm sure some great things that were cutting edge were discarded because others couldn't understand it and so the musician may not have trusted themselves. Thank God for musician's like Charlie Parker and John Coltrane who were ridiculed and persevered because they trusted their instincts! They only listened to their own ear!

How we'll be received is anyone's guess. Now after all that work and we find that we're playing from our heart, someone comes along and says that this shouldn't be done or that shouldn't be done. Well, are we going to get down on our progress because of that? You simply have to respect the fact that it came from someone who is not inside your head. They may mean the best for you and that's great. But it cannot deter us from a route we intuitively see before us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom