support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recipes A Few Simple Wild Garlic Recipes......!

TomMapfumo

I don't know about you but Wild Garlic is in abundance in all the parks etc. in my neck of the woods, and I use it quite a lot in my cooking. Here are three excellent ways of using it.

1. Soup of Wild Garlic & Blue Cheese.

Ingredients:

A few bunches of Wild Garlic - washed, and roughly chopped.
A few potatoes - 6/8 new potatoes or 2/3 ordinary, peeled and diced.
2/3 Onions - roughly chopped.
1.5 Litres of veg/chicken stock.
Some butter and oil for frying.
Salt and Black Pepper.
Piece of fresh lemon.
4oz milk.
3/4oz of any blue cheese.

Add oil and butter to pre heated saute pan. add diced potato and onion and cook at moderate heat until onion is soft. Add Wild Garlic and cook for a few minutes until wilted. Add stock and boil vigorously until potatoes are cooked. Use a liquidiser etc. to reduce to fine liquid, and add some milk. For best results sieve afterwards. Put in large saucepan, and cook further, adding seasoning as desired. Finally add cubes of Blue Cheese, and a twist of lemon,and cook until cheese is fully incorporated.

2. Wild Garlic sauce for Fish.

As above, substituting some cream/creme fraiche for the milk, and leaving out the Blue Cheese. Beautiful with Salmon, Mackerel and Trout particularly.

3. Wild Garlic & Peanut Pesto.

Ingredients:

Bunch of Wild Garlic - washed and finely chopped.
200g Dry Roasted Peanuts.
100g Mature Cheddar.
Olive Oil.
Lemon Juice.
Salt & Black Pepper.

Blitz the Peanuts briefly with some oil and the lemon juice. Add cheese and blitz briefly. Finally add Wild Garlic and sufficient oil to create an emulsion when blitzed. The pesto should not be too smooth Season to taste.
Ideal with Pasta, or as a dip.

Bon Appetit!:w00t:;}

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant recipes Tom, this is real "cut out 'n keep' stuff!

If you really want to push the 'wild foods' boat out, bung a couple of generous handfuls of chopped stinging nettle tops into the soup when you add the garlic. They have little flavour - but are packed with vitamins.
I always make a nettle soup around this time of year - the recipe is much that same as your soup but without the garlic, lemon and cheese...and with a drop of cream at the end. Unless you chop the tops up first you might want to whizz the soup in a blender briefly.
Kids love it, simply because they can't believe they're eating stinging nettles.

The tricky bit is picking them - there are no gloves that seem to completely stop your fingers from getting a little stung, so I use a pair of scissors and a well-placed collander.

Regards,

The tricky bit is picking them - there are no gloves that seem to completely stop your fingers from getting a little stung, so I use a pair of scissors and a well-placed collander.

Regards,

Try a couple of pairs of disposable nitrile gloves. I use them when working on my bike, and they're really tough (miles better than latex ones) but still leave your hands dextrous.

Cheers Steve!

Stinging nettles are not so rife in this part of Wales but will try to find some. Glad the recipes are being well received. The other one I regularly do is:

Peas with Onions and Wild Garlic.

Ingredients:

2 medium Brown Onions, finely sliced.
Bunch of Wild Garlic - washed and roughly chopped.
250g Frozen Peas.
Butter & Oil for cooking.
500ml vegetable stock.
Seasoning.

Saute onion in frying pan until soft.
Add wild garlic and wilt.
Add peas and cook on medium heat for 5 mins.
Add stock until mixture is covered and bring to medium boil. Cook for 15/20 mins
or so until liquid is virtually absorbed.
Add some butter and season with salt and Black Pepper.

Great as an accompaniment to Fish and Chips/Bangers and Mash and others.

Kind regards
Tom

Nettle stings always point upwards/outwards, so if you move your hand up/out, you can avoid being stung. I've used this method to strip nettle stems when making nettle cordage (a bushcraft thing). It does work, but you have to "grasp the nettle".

Having said that, given the choice, I'd always use gloves! :D

If I can add to this, wild garlic makes a great savoury bread:

Simply chop a bunch of wild garlic and add to the flour when you're making the dough. Great with savoury meals. Not so good for sweetbreads, though. (pun intended).

Supermarkets around here sell wild garlic in spring. Have to be careful where we harvest, as it's protected. Always a good idea to just take a couple leaves from each plant, helps keep the patch going.

Try a couple of pairs of disposable nitrile gloves. I use them when working on my bike, and they're really tough (miles better than latex ones) but still leave your hands dextrous.

I use them when I'm checking over new horns - and I tried them for nettle picking but they still let the odd sting through. Even Marigold household gloves seem to.
It's no big deal, but a couple of stings on your fingertips seem to take forever to go away - and it's not like it's a sharp pain...more of an itch that you simply can't scratch.

I did try the old trick of "Take a nettle by the hand and it will sting you for your pains, but grasp it like a man of 'mettle' and soft as silk remains" - but it didn't work that well. I'm obviously not a man of mettle...

Regards,

I use them when I'm checking over new horns - and I tried them for nettle picking but they still let the odd sting through. Even Marigold household gloves seem to.
It's no big deal, but a couple of stings on your fingertips seem to take forever to go away - and it's not like it's a sharp pain...more of an itch that you simply can't scratch.

I did try the old trick of "Take a nettle by the hand and it will sting you for your pains, but grasp it like a man of 'mettle' and soft as silk remains" - but it didn't work that well. I'm obviously not a man of mettle...

Regards,

Just stroke the hairs flat, then there's no problem.

They harvest nettles and put them in cheese here. Doesn't taste of anything except cheese though.

Back
Top Bottom