Tutorials

A bit (lot?)about me

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Well thanks to everybody that replied to my hello there seems to be a hardcore of you active members who always have your fingers on the pulse and show a great interest so thanks to you all again, my original thread was in fact much longer but when I submitted it I was told I hadn't logged on and being a bit (lot?) of a technophobe I lost it all.

I am the worst typist in the world so it had taken me a couple of hours to do ,so after ripping most of the remaining hair that I have out and biting my hand to stop me cursing I decided to just whizz a quick hello and see if it flew. So here is an attempt at a bit of a biography to let you know who I am.

I am 60 years young? and have always enjoyed the sound of the sax whenever I've heard it and always longed to be able to play one but never got round to diving in and actually doing it, then there comes a time when you think if I don't do it now that will be one more thing that I've never got to do.

Here's a little snippet you may all find interesting when I was little boy in short pants my dad brought home a Grafton sax that some one was throwing out it was complete with mpc but no reed if I remember correctly and I used to miether myther mither mythre (cant spell that one) to get a reed for it because I longed to play it, needless to say it never happened and it was just used as a toy it probably would of cost the earth to get it playing again I can understand now.

Maybe that longing stayed with me who knows? so 53 years later I walked into JOHNNY ROADHOUSE in Manchester determined to walk out carrying a sax of some kind.I feel that the salesman gave me some good advice which was basically that the alto might be a good starting instrument and not to go overboard on how much I spent you never know it might not work out (GREAT ADVICE).

He recommended I try an Elkhart series 2 and allowed me to mess with it I immediately got a note out of it and that was love then, and off I trotted with my new mistress (I'm 36 years married and wondered if it could survive the sax! it has). The elkhart has been a great buy and has never needed regulating playing perfectly the whole time I grab it every chance I get and love every moment I play and that is practically every day.

Now that may lead you to think that I am some mean player now unfortunately not,I'm now at the point where I'm using a 2.5 reed my tone has improved to an acceptable level ,I have learnt quite a few tunes that I can play to reasonable novice level, ie moon river, unchained melody, harlem nocturne, and now I'm trying to learn more complicated tunes like take 5, come as you are, nothings going to change my love for you,and many more and loving every blow.

Now the saxes!!! I now own 7 saxes,that's three alto's, three tenor's and one soprano, all bought reasonably cheaply on ebay the second sax I bought was a sop I just fancied trying one it's a stagg and I really like it but it's a bit clattery on the octave mechanism but it was cheap

The next was a yas 25 which was immaculate and had a lovely tone but I soon realised that it was a bit of a step backwards so after buying my next a yas 62 I sold it for what I paid for it, can't ebay be very exciting. The 62 is also immaculate and played like new straight out of the box with a great depth of tone but unfortunately I don't use it too much because I don't want to damage it just practising on it,

I leave my elkhart out on a stand all the time so I can pick t up any time I want.

Next came the vintage CONN alto every body talks about conns so I wanted one, it's only a student model brass with chrome keys doesn't play fully but it did have a nice tone and the key placement felt very nice and light I feel it would really suit a young player with small hands, it's in bits at the moment it was very dirty and smelly so it's getting sorted.

So that's it for the alto's, on to the tenor's, first up was a vintage LINDELL that I couldn't resist on ebay again, this turned out to be a stencil made by Alfonso Rampone in Italy (if you couldn't guess by the name).Although it seemed to play so! so! I'm only a novice don't forget and not so good at all on tenor's yet, it was very shabby with all sorts of messing about having been done to it, I decided it had history and deserved a second chance and it was my first tenor so I stripped it down and de-lacquered and polished it then I took it in to my local tech JOHN CLARK at THE WOODWIND WORKSHOP at johnny roadhouse in Manchester to have a complete overhaul done on it, so now it is in pristine condition or as near to it as could be expected of an instrument of this age.

My next folly was a vintage PAUL CAVOUR tenor, again I couldn't resist on ebay it had been re-lacquered at some time to a deep bronze colour but unfortunately it did not play at all and had very cheap pads in a terrible state so I have decided it needs a rebuild and so is work in progress at the moment.

Last but not least is a vintage DEARMAN tenor again a cheap buy on ebay I bought this because at the time I had two tenors but couldn't play either of them so I tried one more time to acquire a tenor sax that would play and that I could practice on till I got my LINDELL back and luckily although being in a tatty state it does play reasonably well despite the fact that there is loads of wear in the mechanism .

I believe the dearmans were made by a variety of manufacturers and this one was built in Germany and my tech tells me its a Whetlang, so that's about it so far, so you can all go and put your pants back on and continue with your lives if you've still got the will to live that is,and I promise I will never go on like this again.:w00t: Now to see if this tome will submit this time. GOODBYE FOR NOW John

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
:))):))) (Shame there isn't a smilie for "I need a lie down")
Now I see your interest in my old Dearman, could yours have been stenciled by Weltklang? I would be interested in seeing your Lindell, I'd like to compare it with my Dearman as that's a Rampone stencil. Anyway, interesting start to sax playing I recon. I bet you wish you still had that Grafton?
Welcome to the cafe, and when I need advice on my rebuild I'll add you to my list of experts! ;}

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
:))):))) (Shame there isn't a smilie for "I need a lie down")
Now I see your interest in my old Dearman, could yours have been stenciled by Weltklang? I would be interested in seeing your Lindell, I'd like to compare it with my Dearman as that's a Rampone stencil. Anyway, interesting start to sax playing I recon. I bet you wish you still had that Grafton?
Welcome to the cafe, and when I need advice on my rebuild I'll add you to my list of experts! ;}
Hi Pete yes that's it I was hoping you had got it finished and could offer some advice maybe on the rebuild repadding side of things from a novice point of view I'm thinking of doing the whole thing on the paul cavour I mentioned. I'd love to post some pics of the LINDELL if I ever figure out how to do it.TECNOPHOBE :( I tried to put a pic on my profile :confused: no joy I thought the grafton might of pricked a few ears up but apparently not. It was probably knackered any way I believe they were a nightmare to keep in tune but I would love to have it now WHAT A RARITY I've seen them go on ebay for about £1,400 in good nick BYE FOR NOW John

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Seven saxophones?
After a year or so some people can get hung up searching for the perfect mouthpiece or reed.
You do know they're sold seperately?

Rogerb

When I see a post like your first one, John....I usuallly go AAAARRGGHH! and move to the next. To me it is almost unreadable.....like trying to play "The Flight of The Bumblebee" without taking a breath :D

PLEASE use the carriage return/newline key occasionally, and some punctuation, to split your posts into more 'manageable' chunks.

Spacing it out a bit just gives the readers a chance to draw a (mental) breath.

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I know you are absolutely right, I'm totally ill at ease with a keyboard in front of me, but it's more chop sticks than flight of the bumble bee. I would take the latter as a compliment but having taken about 20 mins to type this I can assure you there's no speed involved at all. Perhaps at least it may make readers concentrate whilst reading and thereby gain even more from the experience. Maybe you could take my meagre piece and punctuate it for me I would really appreciate that especially as this forum is intended for every one to help one another. I'm not sure if you actually read it or not because you have not commented on the content at all,you may have found a clue to the situation in the first few lines. One thing I have noticed is that no matter how many spaces you leave between things as soon as you press the submit button they are all erased and everything gets scrunched up again. Thanks for your comments I will endeavour to persevere.:(

JOHN

OP
gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Seven saxophones?
After a year or so some people can get hung up searching for the perfect mouthpiece or reed.
You do know they're sold seperately?
Yes amazing isn't it,as far as mpc's go I think everybody knows there's no such thing as a perfect one just the one you like most.

When you get to my age you've learnt that no matter how many times you dip your toe in the water it's always cold so you might as well just dive straight in,I hope you found the slog through the ramblings worthwhile, and thanks for your interest.......John

Rogerb

Hi again, John ... I would be pleased to try to help :) I will PM you with my ideas.

(I hope you can see the difference?)

If you just start each sentence on a new line (press the Return key before you start to type .... the 'upside-down L-shaped' one at the r/h edge of the QWERTY keyboard.)

And press it twice to leave a blank line,

Finally I'd advise against even TRYING to type as much as you did in your first post.
Make one or two points, send 'em off and await replies before making the next one(s).

By the way, I am no typist, and take ages to compose some of my replies (including this one) !
(If it still 'scrunches-up' there is something wrong with your keyboard settings!)

Cheers
Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom