PPT mouthpieces

A ballad I like to hear and play

Andy Geiger

Locality
Port Angeles, Washington
John Coltrane favored a ballad written by Billy Eckstine called "I Want To Talk About You". I love to hear John Coltrane play it on various versions he recorded or played live. It is fun to play, even though I can't vaguely approach the master. Here is a take I did today.

(ADMIN EDIT: Dead media link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting it.
For ages I tried to imitate the first three notes from the Soultrane version. Great exercise for that specific voicing.

I dug the album out, beautiful. I guess even @kevgermany might like it (it is available on youtube)

I removed it because, as was pointed out, the intonation was terrible, and I am embarrassed to have posted it in the first place. Sorry to have done so poorly. Have tried to post a new one but it doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
I am afraid you misunderstood: mr. De Bear was subtly expressing his cronic inability to understand the beauty of those three John Coltrane notes from Soultrane. He thinks Mr. Trane plays out of tune.
He also thinks that the Joan D'Arc was an architect, by the way.

Good one, and great tone indeed.
Can we have back the soprano version too please? It sounded quite interesting.

Yes I was refering to the Coltrane version. It's very strange. First time hearing it grates on my ear and sounds out of tune. Play it the whole way through and by the end it sounds good. Second time through the start doesn't sound out of tune. Is that more about my ear than his playing?

Yes I was refering to the Coltrane version. It's very strange. First time hearing it grates on my ear and sounds out of tune. Play it the whole way through and by the end it sounds good. Second time through the start doesn't sound out of tune. Is that more about my ear than his playing?

Yes.
Your brain is accepting aspects of Coltranes' language and allow you to elaborate his tuning as part of it.
Also his specific voicing of those palm notes might at first sound unnatural to you, then you accept it.

A good example is that I have not liked Shorter for decades, because of his sound and tuning were alien to me. Then one day the illumination. I just accept them as part of his language.

Do you want to hear seriously playing with tuning in a creative way? Mingus.

Don't ever apologise for your playing, lovely to hear both versions

Thanks for posting :)

Jx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom