Saxophones 66rul - 86ul ???????

AlanB

Here is one for all you mauriat-66ophiles!
I am just on the brink of purchasing a P.Mauriat PMXT-66RUL. I have read loads about it here and "the other place" and it sounds like the beast for me. Looking forward to serious test drive very soon.
'Cept, like always happens when you make your mind up on something important...they move the goal posts on you. The 66RUL seems not to feature on the P.Mauriat website any more. Have they stopped production? They have a new beast the PMST-86UL. Does anyone know what this is like? It seems to be the same price on Sax.co.uk (however they call it the PMXT-86UL. The only difference seems to be straight tone holes and a red brass.

The main questions then:
Have PM stopped production of the PMXT-66RUL?
Has it been replaced by the PMST-86UL?
Has anyone tried the 86UL?
What are the main difference in sound, playability etc. (if the 66 is "vintage American sound", the 76 = "vintage French sound", what is the 86?
Cheers,
Al

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
yes, I've played these horns off against each other a couple of times (by the way, not sure why 66r-uls aren't on mauriats site- they're certainly still available}. there's actually very little difference between them- ergonomics identical, weight- the bronze horn is very slightly heavier.... now, sound- both are big, booming, powerful pieces of kit with loads of character (i love mauriat horns in general)- there is a subtle difference to the core tone, the 2 are very similar but there's something 'harder' about the bronze horn- its not a big difference but theres a bit more 'bite' to the bronze....

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
You should add the Solid nickel silver 60NS Mauriat tenor in the race.As you no i owned a vintage lac 66r and a 66RUL Tenor ,both were amazing and of the 2 i liked the 66RUL more,only just though,both were monster horns but now i have matching 60NS sax's and love them to bit's.More zing and juice with them i think.I am a hard player and these suit me sir,oh yes.Not saying there better but just more spice in the response and faster on the attack of each note.Not blew the bronze ul so cant add to that but try the 3 if you can,you might fall for the 60ns.With my 60NS horns and Theo Wanne Durgs and V16 reeds i think i am on to something here,i hope so so i can settle for good with this monster combo.

AdamBradley

nachoman said:
the 2 are very similar but there's something 'harder' about the bronze horn- its not a big difference but theres a bit more 'bite' to the bronze....
I'm getting confused. Yanigasawa swear bronze makes their 99X series darker, rounded. I felt I could very faintly notice that when trying them side by side, but defintely erring on the side of 'marketing BS all round' now.

Your opinion dear sir?

Jules

I'm getting confused. Yanigasawa swear bronze makes their 99X series darker, rounded. I felt I could very faintly notice that when trying them side by side, but defintely erring on the side of 'marketing BS all round' now.

Your opinion dear sir?
I've played them, that was my experience...er... take it or leave it.....

daveysaxboy

You wont no for yourself till you try.We all got our own thoughts and concept on sound and we all blow our own way so try before you buy but from my take and Nachoman's take we both love Mauriat horns.They have a great huge sound whatever model you pick.

AdamBradley

I've played them, that was my experience...er... take it or leave it.....
Ah, no I think you misunderstood me. I meant that it's interesting to see conflicting descriptions of what certain materials and manufacturing details make to the sound of a sax. Bronze is peddled as darkening the tone for Yanis, so it's very interesting to me that you find the Bronze Mauriat has a 'harder' sound with more 'bite'. I'm curious to know whether you find the same when comparing a Yani 991 and 992 - if you've ever compared them?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
AlanB

AlanB

Tee hee! I love asking questions about Mauriats, its such fun. But some good advice. I had never contemplated trying the 60NS but DaveySaxBoy seems to love his on alto and tenor. It inspired me to have a look what is said about it "A very resonant sax with more "punch" and edge to the sound for a player who is doing more R & B, rock and contemporary playing...". It sounds like an ideal horn section sax for R&B, Funk, upbeat blues, rock, even SKA etc which is what i play the most. But we all know the blurb can be marketing schmooze...playing is believing. I was first attracted to the 66RUL from Pete and Jules's descriptions, especially of the 'honker style' that Jules seems to like. So I will definitely try them all side by side, maybe even record myself on a Zoom, go away, have a Guinness and listen to them recorded. I am not someone who can try out horns, go away and think about it and come back two weeks later. No delayed gratification for me..no thank you! Gimme gimme gimme.

On another point, what is it with Mauriat's appalling military hardware sounding nomenclature. It sounds like we are talking about a new missile system or special alloy plated warheads " the new nickel-silver 60NS" or the "brass PMXT-66RUL". Couldn't Mauriat come up with something a lot more sexy and romantic like "Naked Lady', Cigar Cutter", "Aristocrat", but I guess most manufacturers suffer from this disease. If you're gonna fork out loadsa dosh you want something that sounds scientific rather than cute. Jaguar XJ220 rather than a Morris Minor.

Jules

Ah, no I think you misunderstood me. I meant that it's interesting to see conflicting descriptions of what certain materials and manufacturing details make to the sound of a sax. Bronze is peddled as darkening the tone for Yanis, so it's very interesting to me that you find the Bronze Mauriat has a 'harder' sound with more 'bite'. I'm curious to know whether you find the same when comparing a Yani 991 and 992 - if you've ever compared them?
I see- now this gets really interesting. We're not talking chalk 'n' cheese differences but a brass Yanagisawa A901 does sound different to a bronze Yani A902 and an 86 does sound different from a system 76 (which is what it seems to share the same body type as (it sounds more like a 66R.. sort of, see above). Importantly- the difference between the brass and bonze versions isn't the same... the Yani , in my way of thinking has it's bass frequencies and very top harmonics boosted (think of a graphic EQ- turn up the bottom couple of sliders and the very top one a bit).... the Mauriat's harder to quantify but it's top harmonics seem more pronounced but only 'at the very heart of the sound'... god, talking about sound is tricky!
bear in mind something Jody Espina of jody jazz once told me... metals don't innately sound different from each other (I'd agree- a Lawton 7*BB in brass or ebonite sound identical) BUT.... different materials allow different design- thinner walls, smaller chambers, harder baffles etc (talking JJ's mouthpieces here, but should apply ot horns too)..... I've got a distinct feeling what we're talking about is "its bronze, therefore it sounds different" but "we want it like this therefore its got to be bronze"..... I'm no 100% authority but I've been gleaning information on this kind of stuff......

daveysaxboy

I call my new horns simply MY BEASTS.I have said this before but mauriat's slogan is GO FOR THE SOUND and like i have stressed in the past thet got that sorted 100% for sure.Think huge raw power.

Top Bottom