All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

55 learning to play the sax

Leona

I think that I'm insane. I have never played an interment and I plan to use the Internet to teach myself to play sax. I bought a saxophone today and I was to happy just to make a sound with it.:welldone

andyb1970

Good for you! It's never too late to start. What are you playing, Alto, Tenor?

There are a lot of tutorials on the Internet and some look very good, however I'd still think at some point getting some personal advice such as checking your embouchure etc as you don't want to introduce bad habits early on.

Good luck!

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Welcome aboard!
As one of those people who tried to learn from books etc (also a late starter), and then had to 'relearn' a few things (!) I would also advise getting some hands-on advice if possible-it will make the learning process easier in the long run. But it is a great instrument to play........so enjoy! Look forward to hearing how you're getting on.
Cheers,
Amanda

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Leona

Welcome to the cafe,hope you enjoy your new sax,between you and me a few of us in here are a bit bonkers too.

All the best ....john

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I'm another late starter. Big welcome fom me, and I second the advice about lessons. Always helps, not just the teaching, but the incentive to progress. Constructive feedback is another plus!

What sax did you buy?

Sunray

Hey Leona ... Your just a spring chicken @ 55 ...

*Sunray waves from Norfolk*

I started last year at 63 years young, I've had another birthday since then ... :shocked:

Like you I had never played an instrument, nor read music ...

Progress is steady on both counts and its certainly loads of fun ... :w00t:

There are lots of good people here all willing to answer any questions you may have, so don't be afraid to ask ...

Search all the various threads here for really some useful tips, links to on-line resources and "all things Saxophone."

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Leona.

Was in the late 60s myself but been playing, or trying to, various instruments starting with 'cello at school.

ENJOY!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi Leona

Welcome to the cafe,hope you enjoy your new sax,between you and me a few of us in here are a bit bonkers too.

All the best ....john
Only a few of us??

Welcome Leona, I hope you enjoy your sax.
I started 2 1/2 years ago, and love it.
As others have suggested, a few lessons with a teacher early on to make sure you've got a good embouchure and technique would be a really good idea.
Also, once you've started enjoying the sax, look for a community band to join (the sort of band that's full of people like you just wanting to have fun for a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon).
Hope to hear more from your journey.
Enjoy the cafe.
Mandy

1954pip

hi leona, welcome the the caff mines a tea please, ito am a late starter ,you have to enjoy it ,any question just there will be some one who can answer,
all the best
pip

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Leona

Plenty of late starters in the Cafe :) i started at 48, it's a long journey but the end result will be worth the journey :)

Enjoy :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi Leona

I too have only just started learning the sax. I only signed on to here last week, everyone is really welcoming.

Enjoy it

Jx

Leona

Thanks for the nice welcome

I'm another late starter. Big welcome fom me, and I second the advice about lessons. Always helps, not just the teaching, but the incentive to progress. Constructive feedback is another plus!

What sax did you buy?
I got a tenor sax made by palm. I think I paid to munch, but I do not need any negativity so I will learn to play it. I have learned how to put it together. I practiced with the mouthpiece tell I could make the same sound each time. When I hold the B, A, and E buttons down it sounds the same. I order a digital tuner I will have it Friday. I have a long way to go.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Making progress.

You do realise that B on it's own give a B, B+A gives A, B+A+G give G and so on ?? So this should give you the notes all the way down to 'middle' C. Just remember no gaps in the fingering at the moment. And don't worry too much if you can't get below F or E. Comes later.

C above B is the A on it's own.

Leona

Jx
I'm new at forums I read them but this is the first I have joined. Everyone is welcoming. I need a lot of help and I hope someday I can be of help to someone.
Leona

Leona

I got a Tenor made by Palm I think I paid to much, but if I learn to play then its is all good. Today was my second day to try it and you are right I am going to need some personal help. Thanks for the good luck.

GsySaxMan

Hey Leona,

Tenor is a good choice, I started on alto and am persevering for now but have a tenor too and think I will switch by the end of this year; I just prefer the sound if I am honest.

May I suggest you take a look at SmartMusic, a cheap and useful way to get some good learning materials and online feedback. I couple this with online lessons from Steve Neff on www.neffmusic.com which are cheap, helpful and use a method book that's available on SmartMusic.

Sadly I don't have any teachers where I live so I have to use online resources like the above and Skype, but I must say I do wish I had a good teacher as the human contact like in every other aspect of your life adds another dimension to the learning process.

Good luck, enjoy your journey and welcome to the great resource that is the Cafe!

Cheers,

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom