All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

432Hz tuning for A

DaveT

I like conspiracy theories. There are some real nutters out there.
The most disturbing conspiracy theories are the ones that turn out to be true...
So if that is true (not telling - gets us far too off topic, read Yanis Varoufakis 'And the Weak Suffer What They Must'), what else might be true?

Not the 432Hz tuning for A nonsense.
From other info here and elsewhere I've picked up saxophone tuning info to refute the claims of the 432Hz nutters who insist 440Hz was foisted on the world by the Rockefellers or sometimes Goebbels in the 1930s and it is all a plot to disrupt our spirituality.
432Hz music can also be used to tune the chakras - but they are still using equal temperament! I put it to you - if chakras exist they are far more likely to be tuned to some sort of Just Intonation. Pure Pythagorean or maybe Harry Partch's 43 tone per octave.

I've seen YouTube videos of Harry's scale played on an alto, it can be done!
(I'm a big fan of Harry Partch)

thomsax

The Swedish musician Ebbot Lundborg made music in 432Hz : "In 2012 he released his first solo album entitled There's Only One of Us Here. It is a 43-minute long, uninterrupted opus that was originally created in 2011 for the art project (In)Visible Dialogues organized by Per Hüttner and Elias Arnér."

Singers like Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti och Birgit Nilsson thought 432Hz was more gentle on the voice. With a lower tuning they were able to work more.

Today 440Hz is standard. But we had saxes that was tuned lower or higher. Dolnet made saxes with lower tuning than 440Hz. And the firs Buffet S1 come in two versions. One in 440 Hz and one in 442Hz. To satisfy both jazz and classic sax players? And we also had the HP saxes.

432 Hz is what many of us wants to sing? 440 Hz is aginst the nature?

I couldn't find a english version.

View: https://youtu.be/_AAs_drefg4

View: https://youtu.be/lXR8djbBp8o

mizmar

I guess the best conspiracy theories thrive on making sense of randomness. And choosing a frequency as a scale reference is really quite arbitrary.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
440 evolved as a standard in the early C20th. It's a complex subject with a big history.

Anyone who performs in a church with an old organ and has to work with it will understand. Makers had their own standards and built their organs. My local church dates to 1713 being built to replace the medieval church which fell down in 1690. The organ in the 'modern' church retains some of the pipework from the original church, so pre-1690.

By modern standards, the organ is sharp by about half a semi-tone ~50 cents.

It is thought that the organ's pitch was shifted in the C19th by moving everything 'up' one pipe (so they will have had to have made some new pipes for each rank). However, no one is sure.

When the chamber choir I was in had a concert which needed woodwind, strings, and organ, the bassoonist was not happy - they couldn't get that sharp. The solution was to tune down to the semi-tone below and transpose at sight up a semi-tone... I made sure we hired a chamber organ the next time that was a requirement...

Pete Effamy

440hz isn’t cast in stone. There are orchestral preferences around the world that vary from maybe 438hz to 445hz. Problems arise if instruments are “designed“ in 440hz or 442hz. A clarinet, for example is going to have the toughest job of trying to stray very far from its intended tuning reference. Barrel lengths can be changed but compromises are compounded. The effective tuning range of the clarinet is the smallest in the woodwind section.
Are some clarinets pitched in 440hz and others 442hz? Maybe. I asked my old clarinet prof this question several years ago, but despite a close affiliation to Buffet he only had a “best guess” - which I think was 442hz. But if anyone knows for sure please chime in.

Top Bottom