support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces $4.000 Tenor Mouthpiece

If the seller is confident he would get more money through Sotheby's he ought to go through Sotheby's

Someone's extracting the Michael. So a big name played it. So what, it wasn't even his first instrument.

Who knows what a collector will pay, but as Kev said the big flaw is that Gerry is not known as a great Tenor player. But it's interesting to see how it goes. This is the 2nd listing.:) May be many more.

The mp could be the reason why G Mulligan Esq. decided to stick to baritone...

In medieval Europe some commentators reckoned that enough fragments of the true cross were sold to the gullible that, if stuck together, they would have produced enough timber to build a fleet of warships.

Enough mouthpieces, instruments..... etc..... of the greats.... and of legendary makes of horns... to equip all the bands - big, small and indifferent - around the world.... and provide a complete set of spares.... or three.... or more...

The psychology of the sucker provides an ample acreage of unploughed field for the researcher....

Pssssst. Here's a good wheeze.....

Get a bunch of brass ligatures.... bury them in the garden for a few months..... and when suitably 'distressed' (I knew someone who used to fake antiques) stick 'em on e-bay in ones and twos....

"The actual lig used by (name any safely dead famous saxophonist who can't prove you wrong) when he recorded....... (name suitably iconic recording)"....

Remember, you got the idea here first.

If you do good I want a smell of the action...

BTW the thread name should read $4,000..... not $4.000.

I thought it was cheap - and with an oddly superfluous 0.....

I can provide genuine letters of authenticity to would-be entrepreneurs in this rapidly expanding market.

They can be signed by the wives (individually, jointly or severally, as appropriate) of any jazz great you care to mention.

For a small extra charge they can be signed by wives they never had, too... which adds to the exclusivity... and ought to add at least 25% to the sale.

Pssssst. Here's a good wheeze.....

Get a bunch of brass ligatures.... bury them in the garden for a few months..... and when suitably 'distressed' (I knew someone who used to fake antiques) stick 'em on e-bay in ones and twos....

"The actual lig used by (name any safely dead famous saxophonist who can't prove you wrong) when he recorded....... (name suitably iconic recording)"....

Remember, you got the idea here first.

If you do good I want a smell of the action...
http://www.getasax.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_38&products_id=1215

The seller is 10MFan who is a big dealer in mouthpieces, well known on SOTW. His real name is Mark Sepinuck and he has played quite a large part in developing the overheated market in used mouthpieces.

He seems to get a lot of vintage mouthpieces through his hands, from the very unusual to the quite common, but desirable. His prices do tend to be high, but he is good to deal with, friendly and helpful.

He has also recently developed his own new line of tenor mouthpieces, first in ebonite and more recently in metal. These have been heavily hyped and praised over on SOTW, but you do see quite a lot of them reappearing on the used marketplace over there.

I would guess that whoever had Gerry Mulligan's musical equipment has decided to turn them into cash and Mark Sepinuck would certainly be the best person to maximise the price they get for mouthpieces. He knows how to use eBay and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a high price for some or all of these pieces, although it may take a while. Even just pricing them high can help make people think they must be very valuable.

I saw Ronnie Ross' baritone mouthpiece for sale a couple of years ago for basically the same price as any other old Berg Larsen, but unfortunately it had already sold before I got it. I also thought I had bought Wesley Magoogan's alto mouthpiece from the man himself, but that deal went wrong.

Rhys

The offer still stands, but since posting a waiting list has built up.

Orders may take four weeks to process. Do not despair.

An express service has been created for discerning customers like you. The cost is minimal.

A mere $500 in cash, bank draft or credit card, and your ligature/ genuine mouthpice used by (insert chosen jazz great here) or letter of authentication (delete at appropriate) will be with you by special courier and by return.

Please do not feed the couriers.

They need to be kept in strict training, such is the volume of our sales.

The offer still stands, but since posting a waiting list has built up.

Orders may take four weeks to process. Do not despair.

An express service has been created for discerning customers like you. The cost is minimal.

A mere $500 in cash, bank draft or credit card, and your ligature/ genuine mouthpice used by (insert chosen jazz great here) or letter of authentication (delete at appropriate) will be with you by special courier and by return.

Please do not feed the couriers.

They need to be kept in strict training, such is the volume of our sales.
We know you're joking, but some might not realise.

I've got some mouthpieces that used to be owned by a famous player, maybe I should talk to 10mfan about them.

Guess I'd better be quick before all the other PPT owners jump on the bandwagon.:D

We know you're joking, but some might not realise.
Not a problem.

Any enquirers who manage to send us money in spite of no address to send it to get an invitation to enroll on our "Spot the astronomically overpriced, spurious or fraudulent advertiser" course which only costs them $500 (or $2.50 cash) and in a mere six weeks they become immune for life to blandishments, spin, blarney and timeshare offers.

Anyone actually enrolling gets issued with a straitjacket.

For free.

But it does carry a large advertisement for our range of products on the back.