support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

23 and almost squeaking!

Sinne

i'm tempted to start with 'dear friends', because i've been reading in on this forum for so long it's crazy to realise i was yet to start my first thread. i have never touched a saxophone in my life as of yet, but i've been feverishly obsessed with the idea of picking up a saxophone for the last 18 months or so. i've refrained from any purchase so far because getting a saxophone now would seriously endanger my graduation project. HOWEVER! The finish line is dead ahead. In march I will be graduated and working, and i'll be able to buy my first horn before I turn 24 in may.

i'm thrilled, chuffed and all sorts of things ending in 'olly'.

i'll probably start a thread at some point about my purchase. you see, i'm a very stubborn chap... and somehow i just need to start on soprano. (hence 'squeaking' in the title!)

as soon as i'm blowing that horn i would love to become a more active member in posting/responding, and i'll definitely continuing reading. thank you all! :)

i'm thrilled, chuffed and all sorts of things ending in 'olly'.

Brolly?

Welcome to the cafe and good luck with your graduation. Start saving money for your soprano now, you will have a wider choice when you do the step.

Welcome Sinne

I have been playing tenor a few months, and just purchased my first soprano & alto last week (it will arrive by courier on Wednesday whoot shoot!).

I suspect that by starting on the Soprano you may find it less of a problem than those who have started with one of the others and then swapped to Soprano. I was told not to start with a Tenor and go for Alto - however, since I was loaned my first sax as I had no money to buy or rent at that time, a Tenor it was because a Tenor is what was offered!! And I loved it from the very start.

Good luck with the exams, with your tenacity, restraint and commitment to your sax adventure, I figure you will be just as dedicated to your studies, so I am expecting to hear loud hollers of excitement when you receive your results.

You'll have quite a crowd of Java-supping-experts backing you up all the way and rooting for ya!

Mel

Hi there!

A Big Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Soprano Saxophone Jan Garbarek Chorus down by yer in Wales, mind! Starting on soprano is fine, as both Jeanette and I will testify.

Good luck with your graduation when it arrives!
Kind regards
Tom :thumb:

Hi Sinne and welcome wish I had started at 23 and you very wisely put your education first.. Good advice in abundance here and a few chuckles thrown in. Good luck on your first purchase and of course your exams. Best regards. envious N.

Thank you all!

I'm very happy to become a part of this friendly family. I'm certain it will provide me with many a giggle, let alone good advice.

Hi there!
I must ask you: is your nickname derived from the most awesome musician to ever hail from the lands of Zimbabwe? if it is: cheers, your jukebox is in extremely good company.

Hi Sinne, welcome from me too. I only just joined the Forum but didn't wait 9 months before posting my first thread...How did you achieve such restraint
i guess i've always been a listener first, including socially. playing the drums taught me to listen 60% and play 40% of my energy. plus, the reason i've not started this threat before: i feel extremely naked without a horn, especially here ;}

I guess at 23 your still young enough to celebrate with a "lolly" (don't blame me, you started it!) (oh yes you did!)

Welcome to the cafe, not yet graduated eh?

GET BACK TO WORK you don't have time to be reading all this rubbish, you've got a Phd or a BA or a BOAC to earn, or something!

My username is particularly derived from the Don Cherry tune "Dedication to Thomas Mapfumo" which was part of my ABRSM Jazz Cornet grade 4 exam and a lovely piece. Zimbabwe and Skabertawe are on a similar wavelength, mind!

My username is particularly derived from the Don Cherry tune "Dedication to Thomas Mapfumo" which was part of my ABRSM Jazz Cornet grade 4 exam and a lovely piece. Zimbabwe and Skabertawe are on a similar wavelength, mind!
It's Thomas Mapfumo I meant! that man is a legend, i hope you heard his music... it's exquisite, and there's even a few sax parts in some of his tracks ;)

Zimbabwe and Skabertawe are also anagrams of Bambi We Z and Baker Waste. Not sure why I said that but it seemed a good idea at the time :)
haha keep them coming! to link these two comments together, the music of Thomas Mapfumo derives from a style of music called Shona, and he calls his new breed of it Chimurenga... which anagrammifies to Mega Urchin'.. sort of... i believe. i never got the hang of them. does Agatha Christie's Poirot -> A Harsh Egoistic Patriot make any sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Thomas Mapfumo I meant! that man is a legend, i hope you heard his music... it's exquisite, and there's even a few sax parts in some of his tracks ;)

Yes, obviously. Have heard lots of his music, but the first time I knew his name was from a track by Don Cherry who wrote a Dedication to him, as in the track "Dedication to Thomas Mapfumo" from his Multikulti album. Can we move on now, please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGXSNVOQ53Q&feature=youtube_gdata

Kind regards
TomMapfumo

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom