support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

2014/03 - Angel Eyes

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
A day early, but here it is - March's Ballad of the Month. No, it's not the Roxy Music one, it's the Matt Dennis and Earl Brent one from 1946.

Taz said he fancied something bluesy and this has long been a favourite of mine. It's not a 12 bar - it has the usual AABA song form. The A sections can be tackled with the appropriate blues scale (concert C minor blues), the middle 8 will probably need a bit more thought. Chris has worked his usual magic and produced backing tracks (both jazzy and bluesy)
Thanks, Chris. :thumb:
It can also be found in Aebersold Vol 23 and the Hal Leonard Jazz playalong vol. 35. Both of these are in concert Dm.
Loads of people have covered this one. Here's a few:

Frank

Chet

Lockjaw

Stitt

Ammons

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Fun .Nick.

Look forwards to having a crack soon.

Very nice pick Nick :).

We did this song about a year ago in the Beginners&Intermediates thread on SOTW. I recorded two takes on two of my vintage Otto Link mouthpieces than, with a very nice organ backing from Chris. Used a non perfect score from Wikifonia and also had some intonation issues in those takes, but here are the links anyhow:

- 'Angel Eyes' (30's Four 8* JvW - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12161686

- 'Angel Eyes' (40's Tone Master 8 - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12149396

Hope to find some time to do a new take later this month.

Last edited:
Can't resist putting down an early marker for myself>:) Just had some time earlier for a play around with this one.

'Angel Eyes'

Chris..

Last edited:
It's not even March and off to a flying start

A gentle recording loved it and love the picture :)

Jx

Lovely tune Nick
A good version done by Sting in the movie 'Leaving Las Vegas' like it :thumb:

Can't resist putting down an early marker for myself>:) Just had some time earlier for a play around with this one.

'Angel Eyes'

Chris..

Chris, very nice early take. Your solo's are getting more free and your sound stronger, putting more air throught the horn. Hear (again) good improvements in your playing, where will this end ;-).

Last edited:
A new tunes to me and a great choice.

I have a lovely version by Lucky Thompson - can't find it on YouTube but do search it out.

And for a really bluesy recording, check out Hank Crawford's recording - :

Rhys

Thanks for the comments guys as always. I do have the heads up on these tunes if I do the backings for them, so it does give me an advantage of being able to play around with them for a few days before they get posted>:) Also like Peter this was a tune I'd played before. I had something going for the 'B' section, but after I pressed record it kinda vanished plus I dropped a few melody notes:oops: along the way trying to be clever going up an octave with it so I'll be giving it some more practice:)
It should be a good month as this one holds something for everyone I hope, it's a great call by Nick..:thumb:

Chris..

I`m Putting down an early marker too Only 2nd time I`ve Played this so plenty bloomers Me playing at the "Bluesman" Total pseudo LOL. Franks version was inspirational "Frank Carson" that is
https://soundcloud.com/clive-macdougall/angel-eyes

@ Peter . Hope to hear more soon I loved the tone on the versions you left up and the playing was some of your slickest.( prefered 2nd one) Are you thinking about employing the Old Girl on this I wonder.
@ Chris You have recorded your horn a tiny bit quiet for me and hiding your tone. Still a lovely way you skipped up on the 2nd chorus i`ll be doing that too me thinks. Now What else can I copy i wonder

Last edited:
@ Clive, very nice marker. I would have thought you had played it more than twice. I'm glad you used the 'Bluesy' backing, I was wondering how it would work out..I borrowed the idea of playing up the octave from Matt(crazydaisydoo) he did it in his latest version of this tune. My ears are playing up at the moment( manflu) has struck haha, so things sound kinda different.

Chris.

Chris . Cheers for the listen. Re the Blues backing. I think it`s a really authentic sounding Track and a pleasure to play on . I was doing this on my 2nd read through but I`d heard the track before . I`m down with the ManFlu as well but still having to do my shift here and there. Best to keep playing through. It keeps the lungs relaxed and all that.

I reckon with a good tune it's open to a lot of interpretations, especially if it has a strong blues element to the harmony. Would have liked to have heard more of tune Clivey, but good blues effort.

Cheers for the Listen Jim. It`s certainly an enjoyable thing to mess about with the tune for sure . I`ve no Blues background at all and find these a great form of release especially in such nice keys. now Wheres my hat and shades?

Well, seeing how ManFlu has set in and I can't do anything but play the sax>:) and being inspired by Clives 1st version. I thought I'd give the 'Bluesy' track an airing.

Just listened to your 2nd version Clive, liked the embellished melody in the second half

"Angel Eyes_v2"

Chris..

Last edited:
Heres a straighter one at 60bpm. I`m Killing time before going to work for a couple of hours LOL
Well, seeing how ManFlu has set in and I can't do anything but play the sax>:) and being inspired by Clives 1st version. I thought I'd give the 'Bluesy' track an airing.

Just listened to your 2nd version Clive, liked the embellished melody in the second half

Chris..

Two nice versions thanks for posting

Chris I think you need a cat on the picture this version has a real slinky feel to it :)

Jx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom