All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

2013/11 - Misty

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Re: Botm november 2013

Hi all,

I haven't been around here fore some time. Then I got a (figuratively speaking) kick in the butt :shocked: from Chris a few days ago. So I went online and saw Johns call for Misty and thought, perhaps it's time to be a bit more active than a bat in winter.

There are many lovely, and fun, versions of that old classic posted here. Specially John and MLoosemore deserve a lot of credit for sharing. You do great guys. Just keep on playing and recording.

Here is my attempt: http://www.rudjarl.com/music/Misty.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:

thesaxman71

@rudjarl - REALLY sweet sound, me likes! very melodic and a rich sound, loving the backing track too.
nice 1 !

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber

Hi Rune, lovely version, so glad you stopped by and had a go:clapping::thumb: I guess we can pencil you in for the next few as well>:):thumb:

Chris..

dubrosa22

Hi all,
Here's my version of 'Misty' on my new tenor sax :w00t::

https://soundcloud.com/dubrosa22/misty-tenor-sax

Struggling with low-end, sloppy improv... not exactly a wonderful debut for the bigger horn :rolleyes:
Oh well, I'll get onto a slightly more comfortable alto version in the coming weeks.

Thanks for listening, now it's time for me to listen to your renditions,

V

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
https://soundcloud.com/jrintaha/botm-2013-11-misty-soprano

Finally got around to doing this. Was sick in the weekend (and kind of still am). First ever recording with the soprano I got on Wednesday. The two reeds that came with the sop were far too soft for my liking, so I made a new reed by cutting up an old, chipped clarinet reed with a crafts knife on my iPhone's display :D.

Nice to hear a sop, hope you are better now:)

Jx

B Flat

rudjarl: beautiful sound and beautifully played.
MLoosemore: You seem to be struggling with timing a bit on this one, but the sound is coming along well.
U CAN CALL ME AL: nice combination, the Baritone and piano. You can really hear the that distinctive baritone sound.
dubrosa22: V great first up effort with the tenor, I can tell that you will have a good tone once that additional breath support is developed and the bottom end becomes stronger.
I'm curious as to the mouthpiece you are using at the moment?

Nick.

jrintaha

Nice to hear a sop, hope you are better now:)

Jx
Thanks, all better now. Hopefully the soprano will be better too once I fetch the proper reeds and mouthpiece from the post office today. How about recording your own soprano version?

Clivey

Just posted mine over at. https://soundcloud.com/cliveyx

I knew it would turn out scruffy but I will do it again before the end of the month perhaps.

As already said. This month is turning out some really nice versions. I think if I`m being honest The alto seems to be winning for me this month with CTB`s busker Job and Runes Smoochy Smooth version being quite outstanding . They are all great though and I`m just being a Lazy Sod not commenting on them all individually although I`ve listened to all thats been posted at least twice.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber

@Mark, Timing was a little out, but like Nick said the overall sound is coming on well:thumb:
@U-Can-Call-Me-Al, Nice bari sound, that works well with the piano:thumb: You should post more often:)
@Vaughan, I always knew there was a tenor player inside waiting to get out.:thumb:
@C9off, Like John said nice version and you also should post more often Geoff:thumb:
@Clivey, Perhaps scruffy and laid back is the new you Clive>:) It has that late night jazz club feel as always:thumb:

Chris..

dubrosa22

dubrosa22: V great first up effort with the tenor, I can tell that you will have a good tone once that additional breath support is developed and the bottom end becomes stronger.
I'm curious as to the mouthpiece you are using at the moment?
Thanks Nick, too kind. Breath is exactly what I need and I tend to stay in the upper register too much (what's the point of playing a tenor?!;)) - safer for me I guess. I shudder when I listen back to the awful scoops and bends... dreadful stuff.

So far, I have only one mouthpiece on tenor - the one that came with the horn - a modern Link STM 6* played with a Vandoren Blue Box 3 reed, yet to try my RJS 2H and 3S yet. Gonzalez were a waste of money as were the Rico Royals; all very dead.

I've just received a Rico Metalite M5 which I'll try out tonight. And hopefully the stainless Berg from you will arrive today so I can play that tonight too! :woot:

@Vaughan, I always knew there was a tenor player inside waiting to get out.:thumb:
Chris..
Hehe! Thanks Chris, I've been in denial but I finally bit the bullet 3 weeks ago! Lots of room for improvement in all areas and on both horns :)
V

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Thanks, all better now. Hopefully the soprano will be better too once I fetch the proper reeds and mouthpiece from the post office today. How about recording your own soprano version?
Maybe one day, just not that good yet.:)

Jx

Guenne

Good evening,

it was really a pleasure to listen trough your versions!
Good inspiration to hear so different approaches.
For me, it was the opportunity to check and learn more about my new audio equipment, a "Baby Neumann" TLM 102 condenser and an Apogee Duet for iPad and Mac audio interface. And of course to find out how my Bauhaus sounds with my 10M Fan Robusto, which I'm starting to get under control (which is still much easier with my Yani 992, my standard choice).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Saxophonforum.de/Mikrophone/Test%20Mi.mp3

I hope you like it.

Cheers,
Guenne

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber

Good evening,

it was really a pleasure to listen trough your versions!
Good inspiration to hear so different approaches.
For me, it was the opportunity to check and learn more about my new audio equipment, a "Baby Neumann" TLM 102 condenser and an Apogee Duet for iPad and Mac audio interface. And of course to find out how my Bauhaus sounds with my 10M Fan Robusto, which I'm starting to get under control (which is still much easier with my Yani 992, my standard choice).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6518653/Saxophonforum.de/Mikrophone/Test%20Mi.mp3

I hope you like it.

Cheers,
Guenne
Like it

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom