All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

2013/11 - Misty

Colin the Bear

Just when you think you've mastered the technology you find you are out of your depth lol. I linked the wrong biy ...I think.

Thankyou all for your kind comments. It still feels a little rusty to me.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Just when you think you've mastered the technology you find you are out of your depth lol. I linked the wrong biy ...I think.

Thankyou all for your kind comments. It still feels a little rusty to me.
I know how you feel when I was doing the stuff for Misty and was trying to put a link to box I ended up with a link to my own email log in page no idea how that happened .....John

jrintaha

https://soundcloud.com/jrintaha/botm-2013-11-misty-soprano

Finally got around to doing this. Was sick in the weekend (and kind of still am). First ever recording with the soprano I got on Wednesday. The two reeds that came with the sop were far too soft for my liking, so I made a new reed by cutting up an old, chipped clarinet reed with a crafts knife on my iPhone's display :D.

jrintaha

Finally got the time to thoroughly listen to the previous submissions.

Chris, fantastic tenor tone. Very close to what I'm hoping to achieve.
Dave, absolutely professional sounding as always. Smooth jazz isn't exactly my cup of tea, but even so there's no question about it, you really know your way around the horn.
MLoosemore, you've got a nice vintage vibe about your tone, but like Dave said, watch the timing as it kind of drifts off as the song progresses.
John, nice tone, quite bright, but very fresh sounding with everyone else (myself included) shooting for a very mellow sound. How about a version with the backing track included?
Colin, I think your first version takes the cake thus far. Superb sound and melodies, sounds like you really know the song inside out.

Colin the Bear

https://soundcloud.com/jrintaha/botm-2013-11-misty-soprano

Finally got around to doing this. Was sick in the weekend (and kind of still am). First ever recording with the soprano I got on Wednesday. The two reeds that came with the sop were far too soft for my liking, so I made a new reed by cutting up an old, chipped clarinet reed with a crafts knife on my iPhone's display :D.
Lovely gentle controlled soprano. I invested in a reed trimmer for all the saxes and clarinet. It makes adjusting so much easier and can resurrect tired old friend.

Colin the Bear

Well here's my first attempt and this should ecourage you all to have a go because most of you can do better than this I'm sure

https://soundcloud.com/gladsaxisme/misty-1
Less of the self deprication. You are where you are. You are progressing. A fair rendition. You carried the tune with good intonation. I'm not sure about the tone. It might be too hard a reed but your lower register notes sound like they're on the edge of breaking into upper register. Perhaps come down a half strength. I don't know. I've been experimenting with adjusting the reed. I'll show you what I've found when we meet up next time.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
jrintaha, Lovely sop tone for a first recording. Thanks for the comments on my version..
John, What can I say other than +1 to what Colin said. It sounds good and would sound great when done with a backing, nice one.
Colin, Guess it sounds more mature as I get older Colin.. Joking aside I've gone back to the soloist mpc. As for the noodling well it all has to be dot free from now on:shocked::w00t: (I've had my orders) So anything could happen and most likely will..Thanks for the comments..

Chris..

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Less of the self deprication. You are where you are. You are progressing. A fair rendition. You carried the tune with good intonation. I'm not sure about the tone. It might be too hard a reed but your lower register notes sound like they're on the edge of breaking into upper register. Perhaps come down a half strength. I don't know. I've been experimenting with adjusting the reed. I'll show you what I've found when we meet up next time.
Sorry about the deprication I was only trying to encourage those that might be worried about their own abilities to have a go, it's funny what you say about the tone because that's the problem I have listening to it, I don't think the tone is right but I was thinking of going up a strength on the reed rather than down I use RICO jazz select 3m's at the moment, they seem to be alright when I first start playing but the tone seems to drop off as they get wetter and was thinking that maybe a harder reed would cure the problem .....John

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
jrintaha, Lovely sop tone for a first recording. Thanks for the comments on my version..
John, What can I say other than +1 to what Colin said. It sounds good and would sound great when done with a backing, nice one.
Colin, Guess it sounds more mature as I get older Colin.. Joking aside I've gone back to the soloist mpc. As for the noodling well it all has to be dot free from now on:shocked::w00t: (I've had my orders) So anything could happen and most likely will..Thanks for the comments..

Chris..
Thanks Chris I will be working on the backing track for future recording .....john

B Flat

This months tune is flying along.
Have done some listening but no commenting as yet.
All have been great and the standard really has been set high.

Had a chance for a real quick go at it last night.
A work in progress.
Dodgy reed and different mouthpiece to usual.
https://app.box.com/s/k98npbjs5kthl7no7wad
Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
This months tune is flying along.
Have done some listening but no commenting as yet.
All have been great and the standard really has been set high.

Had a chance for a real quick go at it last night.
A work in progress.
Dodgy reed and different mouthpiece to usual.
https://app.box.com/s/k98npbjs5kthl7no7wad
Nick.
Loved it amazing deep tone looking forward to your second try with more practice ......John

Last edited by a moderator:

B Flat

Thanks John.
looking forward to putting some more time into this one if I can.
Think it might be time to put this reed to bed though.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
@Nick, I guess built in birdsong can help on some tunes:)))

Joking aside I like the sound you are getting fro that mpc Nick. It sounds louder (bigger tip??) Having said that it's still you with great feel as always.:thumb: Looking forward to the next one..

Chris..

B Flat

Thanks Chris.
tip is roughly the same size.
This was an old long body Link STM 7*.
Bigger chamber than the Drake piece and a little darker sounding.

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Re: Botm november 2013

See if I can change that..following is a version I did in 2006, I don't remember what my setup was anymore but now I cringe, I CRINGE! I certainly plan to bring a better version here soon! -> ...
Great, I love it :)

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom