All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

2013/07 – Reflections

dubrosa22

Hi Everyone,

I'm very honoured to pick the ballad for July. It's really very tricky picking something that sits well on Eb and Bb horns which is important I think. Okay, preamble over with this month's BOTM is:

Reflections by Thelonious Monk

Full of Monk's quirky, bluesy flavour this is a long-time favourite of mine. I've uploaded to YouTube 3 versions that I love and I think show just a little of the versatility of this tune:

Here's the first - the classic Sonny Rollins/Monk version on Rollin's Blue Note album 'Volume Two':

Chris has kindly made no less than 3 backing tracks and also put together the leadsheets for Eb and Bb horns. Kudos to Chris he's truly an asset to this Forum.
There is a 70bpm and a 76bpm which include the final 8-bar Tag/Coda. And a 64bpm version which omits the 8-bar Tag/Coda. The choice is all yours.

All 3 tracks and their relevant PDF sheets can be downloaded here:

https://www.box.com/s/5mzk0fy30e0ubpeuyi21

I hope this tune provides a fun and fruitful month of posting! :)
Cheers,
Vaughan

Last edited by a moderator:

dubrosa22

Here's an oddball piano/sax duo from Roy Nathanson & Anthony Coleman from their Knitting Factory Records album 'The Coming Great Millennium...':

V

dubrosa22

Finally a beautiful solo soprano version from longtime Monk proselytiser Steve Lacy found on his HatHut Records album 'We See: Thelonious Monk Songbook':

V

Jamesmac

Found time to have a play with " Reflections" this afternoon.

http://snd.sc/19M8Mpm

This is the slow x2 chorus version..

Chris..

I must say Chris i got more of a handle on the tune listening to your version,than the YT Ver. and sooooo quick off the mark
PS.Great ballad choice

thesaxman71

This is the slow x2 chorus version..

Chris..
sounding big warm and round on that sax Chris, a lot rounder sound and your overall playing and timing just sounds more confident with every sound clip you pop on here! nice 1..

Heading to Mexico for some sun and tequila.... Will check this out mid month.
Lucky bugga, enjoy yaself fella!

thesaxman71

Another tune I can't make head nor tail of

Why so negative? it is a good thing playing things unfamiliar, musical mind and playing expands and can only benefit...
When i face a new tune or as you say "can't make head nor tail of", i just treat it as if i have known it for years or as if i actually want to rewrite it but in my own way, that helps me get into it and personalise unfamiliar tunes very quickly.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
@Davey and Ian, thanks for the comments guys. I did know what was coming so I could get off to a flyer with it.. At least that's the slow short one recorded. It is a nice tune to play over so :thumb::thumb: to Vaughan.

@Jim, don't know what you would learn from that Jim, it was played vey straight.. Probably not what to play >:) Thanks for the comments though..

Chris...

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
I'm not familiar with this tune but have listened to the examples you guys have provided and I must say i do like it so looking forward to giving it a whirl. Unlike Chris, who plays it so beautifully, it will take a good while :)

thesaxman71

I'm not familiar with this tune but have listened to the examples you guys have provided and I must say i do like it so looking forward to giving it a whirl. Unlike Chris, who plays it so beautifully, it will take a good while :)
That's the spirit, having a go at something you do not know is always a positive step...

Colin the Bear

Panic over. It's quite a simple tune really. I couldn't get it listening to any version but as soon as I tried the music it seems to make sense. I need to play a thing fast before I can play it slow.

Recorded it before I forget it again. Work in progress. Warts and all lol

DeadAudiolink Removed

dubrosa22

Great first post Chris!
You have such a wonderful laidback feel and tone on these ballads :)

I hope this month's ballad may be new to some members but not out of reach.
It's a beautiful tune by one of the all-time jazz greats and can be approached from many directions I think.

I'm working on my alto version once I get back to homebase in few days time.
However I do have my clarinet with me on my travels at the moment so I could be posting a black stick rendition too! :D

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom