All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

2013/03 "The Nearness of You"

Colin the Bear

Well here we are almost in March. Spring around the corner.

The Baton has been passed to me and as I seem to be on a Hoagy Carmichael bent at the moment, I've picked an old standard.

"The Nearness of You". It's a lovely melody with romantic lyrics and a simple format, and more challenging than you'd think.

I was messing with the Soprano this afternoon and decided to have a run through. The new mouthpiece is proving a challenge but it's coming slowly. My version , warts and all.

DeadAudiolink Removed

No doubt Chris will let you have a copy of the backing track and there's a few karaoke versions on Youtube.

I think this is the sort of number that I'll be having a go at on various saxophones and maybe the clarinet too.

Last edited by a moderator:

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
Don't you just love it when you spend a couple of hours recording tracks for the BOTM....

.... and instead of saving the efforts as an Audacity project... you export them into a WAV file....

thereby turning what could be a sweet recording of the Nearness of You into one of Shostokovitch's unknown symphonies.????

:w00t:

Clivey

Nice choice Colin and we`ll probably need as much time to get this ready as we can get. Your version is lovely. A nice vintage Patina.

Poor Chris.. I`m afraid if he is putting one together I`ll also be in the Queue as I fancy having a shot if I get time in March.

Profusia

Don't you just love it when you spend a couple of hours recording tracks for the BOTM....

.... and instead of saving the efforts as an Audacity project... you export them into a WAV file....

thereby turning what could be a sweet recording of the Nearness of You into one of Shostokovitch's unknown symphonies.????

:w00t:

Not sure if this helps, but, you can Import .WAV files back into Audacity and re-save as a project etc. However if the .WAV file had more than one Audacity track in it originally (e.g. backing and melody) I don't think you'd be able to split the tracks back out. But anyway you can upload the .WAV file to SoundCloud.

Profusia

Well here we are almost in March. Spring around the corner.

The Baton has been passed to me and as I seem to be on a Hoagy Carmichael bent at the moment, I've picked an old standard.

"The Nearness of You". It's a lovely melody with romantic lyrics and a simple format, and more challenging than you'd think.

I was messing with the Soprano this afternoon and decided to have a run through. The new mouthpiece is proving a challenge but it's coming slowly. My version , warts and all.

DeadAudiolink Removed

No doubt Chris will let you have a copy of the backing track and there's a few karaoke versions on Youtube.

I think this is the sort of number that I'll be having a go at on various saxophones and maybe the clarinet too.

I can't get it (nor any of your SoundCloud uploads) to play Colin. Other people's seem to be working. Any ideas?

Colin the Bear

Chris has a backing track which I'm sure he'll let you have. Or there's a playalong on yout

http://youtu.be/Xld0G29WFFE

It sometimes helps on soundcloud to log on and then search for the person (colin the bear) and follow them if you're having problems. I've checked the settings my end and everything is as it should be.

BigMartin

Hi Colin

As usual, I'm full of good intentions to have a go at this month's ballad.
The YouTube link in your signature seems to be broken.

Colin the Bear

There's a sheet in google pictures

I had some time today so had another bash at it on tenor. I've tried it with the youtube play along this time. I was trying for a breathy, moody sound but the reed wasn't playing and it came out a bit barky in places and the upper register sounds like an alto. I don't know if that's the mic or me. I thought I'd stick it up any way but I may replace it if I can do a better version.

DeadAudiolink Removed

The sop version seems popular 50 odd plays and a favourite :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraser Jarvis

Really liked that Thomas, like the bright sound, then i see your playing a Berg 110/1 good stuff!

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom