support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

2012/07 - Ebb Tide

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Locality
Løten, Norway
Hey Rune, it is getting to that time again. Get your thinking cap on, it's your shout this time..:thumb:

Chris....

Hi Chris, I've done my thinking and landed on a nice, commonly known, but not often played little piece. (Actually I had my mind made up already when I did my contribution for this month:) )

The song: Ebb Tide. On youtube there are loads of versions. I think it's in a few Abersold books too. Notes can be printed in all keys from Wikifonia. The sun is shining (although admittedly, it looked rather wet for all of UK), sky is blue and just a few days of work before the holly days... Ehhh, it's a nice playable piece though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris, I've done my thinking and landed on a nice, commonly known, but not often played little piece. (Actually I had my mind made up already when I did my contribution for this month:) )

The song: Ebb Tide. On youtube there are loads of versions. I think it's in a few Abersold books too. Notes can be printed in all keys from Wikifonia. The sun is shining (although admittedly, it looked rather wet for all of UK), sky is blue and just a few days of work before the holly days... Ehhh, it's a nice playable piece though :)

Nice choice Rune. and you are right about plenty of good examples on YouTube this month including a few really cool sax versions to offer inspiration.

I`ve almost got my backing done already but I think I`ll leave the Sax until I manage to bodge a few leak repairs (Time to get the Pledge and leather polish out) ,and try and do this number a little justice in July:welldone:mrcool

Hi Rune, +1 to what Clive said. Good choice of tune with loads of examples to listen to...

Chris...

Interesting ... think the challenges will be a) doing the crescendo with conviction and b) avoiding cheesiness....

E.g. this version confuses me ... is it so bad it's good? or just so of its time that it sends shudders down my spine ...

https://www.box.com/s/85f6197a2753e4534af7 Is my version of " Ebb Tide "..

Chris...

Just listened to this a couple of times Chris and I have to say hanging out with Mike must be paying off as I thought your sound , everything, has come on leaps and bounds even since last month. It`s also obviously " well to me" a lot stronger at the beginning So you will need to keep increasing your practice duration to develop more stamina and control. Overall Tenor Tone coming along very nicely indeed.:welldone

Now then. I had a quick blast on my Sop and No Sh** . I recorded the 1st take which I have posted on the usual myspace link. The weird thing is that although I can now play the song and have had a few takes I actually like this flawed version better at the mo although I might change it or do a Tenor take.

Sometimes you just feel a little spark maybe I`m just making excuses.

... The weird thing is that although I can now play the song and have had a few takes I actually like this flawed version better at the mo although I might change it or do a Tenor take...

I like that flawed version too. Except, I wouldn't call it flawed, more like nice :). Oh, I heard the mistakes but they don't matter as long as you hear them yourself. And please do make that Tenor take too :thumb:

Clive, the " flawed version" has a very good feel to it, but a tenor version might go down well..Thanks for the comments on my version. Mixing all the tracks Mike and myself record kinda has Mikes playing in my ear a lot.. Rune, also thanks for your comments, this was the first day with a stronger reed, so everything was feeling slightly different..

Chris...

https://www.box.com/s/85f6197a2753e4534af7 Is my version of " Ebb Tide "..

Chris...

Great Chris.. I can hear you have enjoyed playing this ... thus my enjoyment of listening is enhanced ... You have a great feel for that tune..... I just noticed that on the low notes there was almost a feed back affect.... something that was happening in the recording... "Lovely backing Track" you must tell me where you got it from ;}
:thumb:

Ade

Interesting ... think the challenges will be a) doing the crescendo with conviction and b) avoiding cheesiness....

E.g. this version confuses me ... is it so bad it's good? or just so of its time that it sends shudders down my spine ...

:shocked: It shattered my spine "Urrrrrrrg" :w00t:

Clive, the " flawed version" has a very good feel to it, but a tenor version might go down well..Thanks for the comments on my version. Mixing all the tracks Mike and myself record kinda has Mikes playing in my ear a lot.. Rune, also thanks for your comments, this was the first day with a stronger reed, so everything was feeling slightly different..

Chris...

Heres my Tenor version of this months Ballad . I still quite like like the sop version and will probably hang on to it.

Hopefully there will be a few more takes to listen to from the regulars and anyone else who want`s to post I know it`s holiday time but this is definitely a beach number.

Oh . the tune is @ the myspace link at the foot of the post as usual.

Great Clivey, that was really great:thumb:

:thumb: That was excellent...
I just thought the background track dominated a little....

:thumb: That was excellent...
I just thought the background track dominated a little....

cheers for the listens guys:)

I do tend to indulge myself a little with the backings, and Rhodesish piano sounds have always been a fav of mine>:)

Heres my Tenor version of this months Ballad . I still quite like like the sop version and will probably hang on to it.

Hopefully there will be a few more takes to listen to from the regulars and anyone else who want`s to post I know it`s holiday time but this is definitely a beach number.

Oh . the tune is @ the myspace link at the foot of the post as usual.

Hey Clivey, I love that "muzak" feeling (hope you don't mind :shocked:). You could play on one of those "Saxophone for Lovers" or "Saxophone for Relaxing" CDs. You're exactly in the right mood for that song. It's true that you sound a bit far away, but I thinks it adds to the relaxed mood.
I'm still in search of that smokey tenor sound.

Thanks for posting this take for us Saxplorer. I`ve quickly learned that even the most simple idea can be hard to convert into a musical work that bears a listen and I agree that it can sometimes be surprisingly difficult, mainly I think because we are doing it all on our own with no Bass Players giving us the stink eye when we play a load of dross or Drummers adding feel blah blah blah, but Saxade gave us this wee platform to use every month and if we want it to continue then we have to and at least try to Join in. I actually wish a lot more would try especially the real beginners.

Anyway I loved the duet idea and the unison at the end. I thought it added musicality and interest to what would a very short piece.
Like you. I had also analysed the climax myself before I recorded my 1st sop take and I felt that the original piece had a few shortcomings in that dept. It`s interesting that the whole piece shares a lot of the ideas , structure and qualities of "Unchained Melody" which was released 2 years later and of course was far more successful as a commercial song.

Clivey, thanks for the encouragement. I do find that to work at a piece until it's done, more or less to the best of one's ability is a very different thing to just playing through a piece in practice or generally messing about for one's own pleasure. It does bring its rewards though and the process of recording and critical listening does help one to pay attention to what's good and what's bad, all with a view to improvement.

What I find interesting is that even with a piece like this with which I had no natural affinity, one starts to find angles and aspects that are worth exploring and enjoying.

And as you say, the more the merrier.

Here is my version: Ebb Tide.mp3. A lovely, easy tune that turned out a lot more difficult than I imagined.

Back
Top Bottom