support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

2012/04 - Imagine

Chris, your tone is still as lovely as ever, but I have to agree with Mike regarding your timing. Are you reading from the dot's whilst you play and can you hear the backing track whilst you record yourself?

Thanks guys for the comments...
and thanks to Clivey and Chris for kicking it off for this month :thumb:
Great to hear a Soprano .. then a Tenor ... I used an Alto ... Now we need a ??
Something starting with B ...;}

Hey Adrian that sounds like a good idea, HOW about it Pete???

Pete, A lack of practice doesn't help:thumb: And having the backing to low in the headphones makes things a bit harder:)))..

Chris.

Chris, although you did get a little lost still, it was a huge improvement on the first one! Your timing was so much more natural, it sounded much easier on the ear! Well done mate. Time to start experimenting on headphone volume/position I tend to have one ear half covered that way I can hear the sax and the backing track and I don't have any monitoring on so there is no sax in the headphones. It helps to cut down on the latency.
Another step up the ladder of saxuality my friend!

Thanks for the listens guys. I have to say I`ve also enjoyed listening to Ades and Chris`s cuts as well. It`s really crazy to think about how much time and money it would have cost to get stuff of this quality down back in the bad old days before computers and the internet.

I hope that a few more here will start to post " Ballad" recordings. It`s all for fun and it`s also a taste of trying to get something cut to some kind of deadline. ie a challenge.

Put it this way. I`d rather do this than swat for a grade any day of the week :)

Thanks guys for the comments...
and thanks to Clivey and Chris for kicking it off for this month :thumb:
Great to hear a Soprano .. then a Tenor ... I used an Alto ... Now we need a ??
Something starting with B ...;}

Hey Adrian that sounds like a good idea, HOW about it Pete???

Pete, A lack of practice doesn't help:thumb: And having the backing to low in the headphones makes things a bit harder:)))..

Chris.

Hmmmm, why do I suddenly feel like like I've been cornered? Hoodwinked! Ok ok, here it is, and I must apologize to you Chris. It would appear that my timing is bloomin awful! It's only when you record and listen you actualy hear yourself as others do.........Oops :w00t:

DeadAudiolink Removed

Taz and saxade Well done...........Awesome.
More more..........encore

So to help with my recording
Question.......
should I be listening to the backing track on headphones while recording to mic?????
Then put the two tracks together??????
Allansto

Last edited by a moderator:
In a word, yes. Make sure that you can hear an equal balance of the backing track through the headphones and your live sax.

Taz and saxade Well done...........Awesome.
More more..........encore

So to help with my recording
Question.......
should I be listening to the backing track on headphones while recording to mic?????
Then put the two tracks together??????
Allansto

You may also want to adjust the latency correction so the new track is properly sync'ed with the backing. Here's how to do it in Audacity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEIEDGExoqM&feature=related

@Taz, I bet you where singing that to yourself as you played??:)( don't we all?:w00t:) Plus there is nothing wrong with embellishing the melody:thumb:. Hmmm!! 5 hours or less between being conned into playing>:) and posting you are being too hard on yourself mate..As for an apology to me forget it. ( none needed) constructive critique and advise is a good thing..

Chris..

Ha ha thanks Chris, it's not like I had to learn the tune. Your right, I was singing the words in my head, in fact I think it's how I remember a tune. I've often wonder if this holds me back when it comes to improvisation?
I did notice that my tone sounds a little thin on the top end though. Oh well, back to the grindstone (and what a lovely place it is too :thumb:)

So with that in mind here is version 2 http://www.box.com/s/ad94c1c51ce8b0b053c0

Chris..:)

Yes, your rhythm has tightened up a bit. Are you reading this Chris? If you are, I suggest you memorize it then
play it.
On the bridge you stumble a bit but I chalk that up to your incessant need to play free....lol

Definitely an improvement from the first take. Keep at it man. Before you know it you won't need me to supply sax on your writings!

That was awesome Andyg
I loved the way you were bending some of your notes
Insirational
Allansto

Very nice Andy. I do love your tone, it's very full. Nice, and a lovely bit of improvisation at the end too.

Well played Andy, plus you made it your own with a bit of improv. Nice one.:thumb:

Chris.

The martinAlto

Wikifonia
you have to join up /become a member/ log in
click on transpose top left hand corner Eb
download / open / print
Allansto

Last edited by a moderator:
Right
So Ive now got a new mic and some earphones
How do I get the mic to work from the computer?
I think I have to supply power to the mic?
is that right?
THe mic has an xlr input with a cable running to a 6.5mm male plug,ive adapted down to a 3.5mm plug
how do I get power supply to the mic?
Allansto

What sort of mic is it , make and model? It may not need power but it may need some sort of interface between it and the pc.
Something like THIS You plug the mic into the input on this mixer and then take the output from the mixer to the mini jack input on your pc/laptop.
Then you use recording software such as Audacity (free) or Cubase (far from free but very good although other makes are available)

With regard to the cable, if the mic has an XLR configuration on it, most people try to keep to an XLR on the other end as well (you can see the XLR input on the top left of the mixer in the link)