All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

2 birds with one stone!

breathless

The wife and myself are spending the day in London tomorrow, so its a bit of clothes shopping then a Visit to Sax.co.uk for another mouthpiece. Something to eat and then we have tickets to see Snake Davis at the Jazz club Soho.

should be a good day!

Lee.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Since Oliver Stone didn't shoot two documentaries about Bird, check also Jazz at Foyles (round the corner from sax.co.uk). They sell good music there.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Wish we had known earlier, would have sent you a CaSLM Safe Passage Certificate.>:)

ENJOY!​™

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
The wife and myself are spending the day in London tomorrow, so its a bit of clothes shopping then a Visit to Sax.co.uk for another mouthpiece. Something to eat and then we have tickets to see Snake Davis at the Jazz club Soho.

should be a good day!

Lee.
Pity about the clothes shopping, but you'll get it out of the way nice and early..... And she'll be more tolerant of an expensive piece if she's got some nice clothes (read expensive...)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Pity about the clothes shopping, but you'll get it out of the way nice and early..... And she'll be more tolerant of an expensive piece if she's got some nice clothes (read expensive...)
Kev

Shame on you, as my mother would say "She, who's she the cat's mother"
:shocked:
Jx

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Bribery.... Bet it works well in your house as well....

But what's wrong with she? I don't know his wife's name, and to keep saying wife sounds so distant.....

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Wish we had known earlier, would have sent you a CaSLM Safe Passage Certificate.>:)

ENJOY!​™
Heyy OG,
I am in the big smoke for 16 days later in the year. Officially I'm helping at the Paralympics, but I get 4 days off shifts during the 16.
One of these I have earmaked for a visit to Sax.co.uk (and now Jazz at Foyles too!) but I'm hoping one of you London lot fancy meeting up either for a coffee / lunch during the day or indeed can direct me somewhere (safe and decent) of an evening. :w00t:

I am hoping to take my alto with me. Tired as I expect to be, I couldn't spend 16 days away from a sax (children and husband - yes, Sax - no!) :)))

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Yup, presently agreed to fishing holiday so I can have a new sax!!>:)

Jx
Whenever the other half spends money on his flying (both model and real planes) I tot it up mentally. That tenor or sop are getting ever closer :)))

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
wild boars find the sound of an alto saxophone similar to their mating call.
Fortunately I have a sop but as I will have the dog with me who tends to howl or whimper when I play I think even if I try to take it, it will somehow find its way back in to the house!!

Jx

breathless

Hi all, well unfortunately I have to report back of a very disappointing evening.
the day went well ate out at Chiquitos which was ok, picked up what I needed from sax.co.uk so on to the Jazz club.

got there early, shown to our seats which were near to the back and looking down the length of some long tables. well it all started to go wrong when a few fellas arrived and were shown to there 3 long tables pre booked! as there guests started to arrive and continued to do so up to half way threw the show and on every arrival they all stood and greeted / cuddled each other completely blocking our view for several minutes at a time.
however after finally sitting down they continued to talk "loudly" over the music constantly, clearly with no interest in the show.

additionally they have crammed so many seats in that there is little space to move between and were we had been seated the staff used the run behind us as there passage to and from which resulted in both my wife and I being knocked every single time.

on bringing this to the attention of the manageress we were given the option of moving to the only other free table which had a large pillar in front of it totally blocking the view of the stage.

from what we heard of Snake Davis we was impressed with, however as im only just learning to play the sax i would have liked to have been able to watch his finger work.

very disappointed, with what should have been a good day out, the wife and I dont get out much, 2 young children and we dont have baby sitters (except the wifes parents) so the logistics involved with getting a day / night out organised is not easy.

wish id gone back to the 606 club.

Old Git, whats the CASLM safe passage thing your talking about?

rgds Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to London!
I must say that I always had bad experiences from Pizza Express (seen from stage).
Worst offender is the one in Chelsea: it is called Pheasantry, and I will probably never go back there.

The guy at 606 loves music. He is still a business man, but he knows his job. He is not a frustrated half-man as pizza express people usually are.

Ronnie's can be good or bad. For sure it is expensive.

I strongly recommend "jazz in london" free magazine. You can find it online too and it is quite useful for a day out.

breathless

Thanks Adelvis, unfortunately I think they have taken the route of filling every inch of space so they can pack people in, over providing a better musical experience. I think ant performance establishment should keep 1 or 2 tables spare as a contingency to allow people to move if need be.
the noise these people were making, I could see Snakes keyboard player looked over a few times.

Yes I think Ill stick with the 606, although it would be nice to try a few other places.

never been to Ronnie Scotts, will have to give it a try.

Lee.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
unfortunately I think they have taken the route of filling every inch of space so they can pack people in, over providing a better musical experience.
they usually find musicians so annoying.... they take precious space that could be used for customers....

breathless

yer, the guy on electric guitar must have waked his head off a ceiling suspended monitor speaker 3-4 times.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom