support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

12 tones tiredness

olivj0381

Hi everyones,

After 2 years of tenor sax focusing on learning (or trying to learn) improvised music (mainly jazz), I have decided to take the next step which is transposing and practicing scales/arpeggios/patterns/licks systematically in all 12 tones. I did transpose in the past but I always restricted myself to the keys of the tune I was studying.
It seems to be one of the best ways to make significant progressess, however after 30 minutes of transposing a 251 licks in all 12 keys my brain is quite close to blow up. I also have the impression that it affects my motivation.
How was it on your side when you started transposing in 12 keys? Is my feeling normal? How long does it take until it becomes easier?

Thanks in advance for you answers.

In a word: Frescobaldi

With it (along with the real workhorse: Lilypond) you can take a lick (or licks), transpose and print it in all 12 keys.

I've done than with a few dozen songs and use them for practice.

It has helped my playing a great deal.

If it's jazz, Don't lick. Compose. Each key has a personality. Let it speak to you. Be melodic.
If it's blues, tell a story. Beginning, middle, end. Rhythm is king.
Improvised jazz isn't normally in 12 keys. Blues guitarists like at least 4 sharps so be fluent there.
The most important thing is to keep it fun. Self flagellation via saxophone may kill your mojo and the horn may end up under the bed unloved.
We all have a different answer to the question "why do I play?". I play because I must, to keep sane (ish).
It's a journey with no destination. Enjoy the view. Explore away from the beaten track or stay with the crowds.
Music is art. Be artistic. Remember to breathe.

If I understand correctly you are playing the selected scales/arpeggios/patterns/licks in different keys using your ear and not "transposing" by writing it down. I can think of nothing better to develop your "ear" and to learn the "geography" of your instrument. That said, you need to be realistic at the same time. Trying to do too much in each practice session is a recipe for discouragement. Break it up into more manageable segments and pace yourself. You will get to the same destination and the journey will be more fun and less taxing. It doesn't matter how fast you are moving, only that you are going in the right direction.

[…] after 30 minutes of transposing a 251 licks in all 12 keys my brain is quite close to blow up. […]
You did well! After cycling round
II V i licks for 1/4 hour I am ready to shoot myself, so it’s not what I do. But because BC (thank you @Jazzaferri ) I played with singers, there was always a chance that a tune would move down a tone the week after you’d nailed it in say, Eb:eek:
So play songs in many keys and all your scales (I would say 15 not 12 - I’m fine reading C# , but still rubbish at Db) but don’t make a big boulder that’s going to roll back and crush you.… 10 minutes concentration, and away to something else… come back tomorrow

I don't usually do exercises, but it happens that I am playing a blues phrase in 12 keys. While it's totally artificial, it does point up a weakness I have in certain parts of certain keys. I hope to be able to execute it within a week of practicing it. Because of the way it is phrased and articulated, it's very helpful and kind of fun, or would be when I can do it properly.