All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

10 Great Alto Players

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
In the clip of Parker playing, he plays the same lick twice. This was one of his favourite licks and he played it a lot. ( he had lots of such licks )
If anyone wants to learn it, and has the OMNIBOOK, here are a few places where he plays it.
Yes! I love that lick. I practice it all the time.

Pete Effamy

Yeah interesting. As much as I also love Cannonball, Benny Carter, and Stitt, you can draw a circle around them along with Parker. Art Pepper would be another big gun in this company. I agree with @brianr that there has to be some post early 70's players in there.

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
MACEO PARKER, DAVID SANBORN and KENNY GARRETT.
Each of those have had a big influence on the way altoists play these days.
I totally agree with that, but it's just a list, and he adds value to each except Ornette, as I said earlier. Someone should do a similar video just about Ornette!

I would very much welcome a video on all three of those above in the style of Jay's. I'd love it. I've listened to Kenny Garrett the most and I hear the kinds of things one might say about him. I think his work in Amandla is stellar, and his his own tunes are great. Maceo to a lesser extent, but similarly, I get the drift of what he does with so few notes. Sanborn is more of a recent "discovery"', but I get that, too, although I'd welcome someone pointing out passages as Jay did.

Keep Blowing

Not just a list. A lot of interesting details are pointed about about each. Jay's comments are a big value added to the music if you're learning about it. His facial expressions alone are entertaining. A very nice introduction to the best member of the saxophone family!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMrKsI0dn6s
Well at least he mentioned Ornette Coleman but it's pretty obvious he was apprehensive about it, he was almost apologising for doing so..

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
Besides Maceo, Kenny Garrett, Dave Sanborn and Earl Bostic, who else should have been in your "top ten" alto players?

Pete Effamy

Thinking about it, if you look at guys like Grover, Marienthal, Sanborn, Tom Scott, Maceo, Brandon Fields, Andy Snitzer - their sound is made up of a larger palette of articulations, wider usage of dynamics within a note (not just a phrase), manipulation of tone colour and more extensive use of harmonics. If this was one player he'd have to be in there, so it's a case of picking one or two.

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
If this was one player he'd have to be in there, so it's a case of picking one or two.
Maybe once there's a list of about 20, we should put them in order of lifespan? You want to study (not copy!) the ones that lived past 60.

rhysonsax

Subscriber
It's interesting that nobody outside the USA plays alto. Anyone any idea why?

Well, I think that the original concept was "most influential", and it would be hard to argue that a single non-American altoist would make the list.

If the idea were "great alto players that you love to listen to" then a couple of Europeans would make my list.

But that's the problem (or maybe the point) of any such "top X" sportsmen, authors, artists, singers, politicians etc.

Rhys

Greg Strange

Pete Effamy

Yes “terrific players” is another story. I’m afraid I’ve not heard of Nick or Greg’s offerings, so being little-known therefore makes them less influential

Top Bottom