support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

1 Year Sax Player!

Rob345

Great to meet you! I felt a little nervous following the '50 year Sax Player' with surely the most amazing playing history. So jealous! However I'm 50 (ish) and took up tenor sax last year. I have a basic YTS275 and enjoy upsetting the family and cat, the latter who has taken a deep aversion to my melodious emissions! I like messing with mouth piece design as well and have been playing with a 3d printer with some average results (a huge subject area I know!) Recently bought an old alto to play about with if I can get it going again. All great fun!!
Rob

I'm 50 (ish) and took up tenor sax last year. <snip> I like messing with mouth piece design as well...
You might be surprised to find a few 50something's with not a whole lot of experience on here...like me :)

I must admit that I quite enjoy playing with mouthpieces too, although generally I limit myself to smoothing them and putting a chamfer on the rails, I've not thought of printing a full one...yet :)

Come and join us in the song of the month and ballad of the month threads, you don't need much experience, many people there like me are beginners to improvers and some don't even post the entire song first time.

You might be surprised to find a few 50something's with not a whole lot of experience on here...like me :)

I must admit that I quite enjoy playing with mouthpieces too, although generally I limit myself to smoothing them and putting a chamfer on the rails, I've not thought of printing a full one...yet :)

Come and join us in the song of the month and ballad of the month threads, you don't need much experience, many people there like me are beginners to improvers and some don't even post the entire song first time.

Thanks! I'll take a look. Good to know Im not alone! Im als trying to put some photos on another thread I started to identify the alto saxophone. I cant seem to paste them in. Is there an easy way of doing it? May be because I'm using ubuntu os. Any help welcome!!

Welcome, Rob. Not sure what it is about cats and saxophones. Mine is happy to listen to recordings, even if it's me playing, or to me playing the flute, which I do rather badly. I think it must be something to do with higher harmonics outside our hearing range. Your cat should be grateful you haven't taken up soprano or clarinet (yet ;)). They really hate clarinets.

Last edited:
Funny that I was looking at Sopranos!! Poor cat. I agree, there must be so many harmonics outside our audible range! Must try some analysis at some point and link up to a scope (so many things to do!)

Welcome to the forum Rob.

The YTS-275 as the whole Yamaha line are solid horns to get started. I have 23s, 25s and 62s for alto and tenor and they do great. I also started just before turning 50 and it's grown on me ever since. Almost scary. :eek:

I see you are also started on the path of discovery and experimenting. I'm not familiar with 3D printing yet, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. But I can't get drifted away on yet another thing...

I cant seem to paste them in. Is there an easy way of doing it? May be because I'm using ubuntu os. Any help welcome!!

You don't paste images and it has nothing to do with ubuntu. I'm also an ubuntu aficionado even if I'm currently using a Mack (;)). It had ubuntu installed on it (dual boot) until they corrupted the dual boot!

Anyways, for images, you need to use the image gallery (small camera icon), add your images there and share them with us.

Enjoy the forum, it's a great place for us players of all levels.

See your around

That's great thanks for all your help. I managed to upload the pics in the end.
Ive made quite a few 3d printed mouth pieces for my Tenor using PLA and whilst the sound is not quite there yet , I'm getting closer! Once Ive got a good design Im hoping to use the metal filaments and see how that comes out. All good fun! Ill try and include some pics in due course if there's interest.

3d printing? I have enough trouble doing double sided A4...

Welcome to the forum - from someone who has just taken up the sax not long before turning 50!

Welcome to the Café Rob, I'm another late starter, 56 to be exact, I have also dabbled in 3D printing and you have now got me interested in mouthpiece printing, not another pathway lol! :sax:

Could GAS be controlled with 3D printing... I wonder...
Currently all my mouthpieces can be contained within the cases of my saxophones, if I start 3D printing them, I'll need somewhere to put them...If they weren't in the cases, I'd lose them...and have to print some more. I can see this scenario spiralling out of control :)

Hi Rob,
I didn't start sax till I was 66. Still trying to play the right notes at the right time.

Graham

I'll need somewhere to put them...If they weren't in the cases, I'd lose them...and have to print some more. I can see this scenario spiralling out of control

Try this, wife bought it off Amazon for her cotton reels. Put your mouth pieces on display, You may need to make one to fit, but the idea is there. (Rack that is, not m/p.)

20170314_093058.jpg

Try this, wife bought it off Amazon for her cotton reels. Put your mouth pieces on display, You may need to make one to fit, but the idea is there. (Rack that is, not m/p.)

But then hubby would see how many I have, then he makes me sell them, so I have to hide them now :)

Jx

Back
Top Bottom