support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones 1 year down...

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
It's now exactly a year since I first picked up a saxophone. At the start, I set myself certain goals, one of which was that I had to stay with one sax for the year and not go off on a mad spending spree trying to find a 'better' one. There were a few reasons for this:
  • I wanted to concentrate on learning how to play, and not get distracted with trying to improve my many deficiencies by upgrading the sax.
  • I bought a cheap, new tenor sax, and got it checked over by a tech and by a tutor. When they played it, it sounded great, so I knew that if it didn't sound great when I played it, it was down to me, not the sax.
  • Most of all, I wanted to make sure that the sax is an instrument that I can bond with. I didn't want to spend loads of money only to find that after a few months I had lost interest.
Now that the year is up I am happy with what I've achieved, and am confident that I will continue playing and learning.

So...

Upgrade time :D

Over the last year I haven't been a hermit, locked in my room with no regard to the outside world. I have occasionally wandered into music shops and had a toot on some posh saxes. Based on this, I'm leaning towards getting a Yamaha YTS62. I've tried a few (one MK1 and 3 MK2s), and like the feel of them very much. I've tried a TJ raw and, while I loved the sound, I'm not that keen on the unlacquered finish. I then tried a signature custom in the lacquered finish, and surprisingly it didn't grab me at all. I've tried a couple of Yanis, a P.Mauriat and a TJ SR, and while they were all good horns, they didn't do it for me.

So, unless someone has any other suggestions, I think I shall be keeping my eye out for a second hand Yamaha 62 tenor. I'm in no rush, and I'll look for one in as good nick as possible.

Here's to year 2 :cheers:

So do you want suggestions or not?

If you don't this'll be a short thread, apart from hearty well wishing from Yours Truly and sundry others

...or do you want suggestions in which case this could run and run

I made a comment in another thread that, once you get to a certain standard of sax (which the YTS62 certainly exceeds) any sax will be good enough for any player, and the difference between them are really a question of personal preference. I've played a few YTS62s over the years, and although my own personal preference led me to a Yanagisawa, there is no doubt that the 62 is a fine sax, very well made and highly reliable. Pretty good value, too.

There will be some sax bores (particularly on US websites) who will tell you Japanese saxes are lacking 'character'. Just ignore them, it's the player that provides the character, not the horn.

Good luck in your search, when you get one I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

So do you want suggestions or not?

If you don't this'll be a short thread, apart from hearty well wishing from Yours Truly and sundry others

...or do you want suggestions in which case this could run and run

I'm sure there's something I've missed that would be worth trying, so suggestions welcome.

However, I think that I can narrow it down a bit:
  • I like the ergonomics of the Yamaha, and feel that that is a big plus point for it.
  • However, the actual straight out sound I got from the TJ signature customs sounded better for me in the lower octave, less so in the upper. At the moment though, I'm still shaping my sound so, although it sounds a bit daft, small changes in sound aren't that vital to me at the moment.
  • Intonation seemed better with the Yamaha.
  • I like shiny.
  • Ideally, I'm looking for second hand so that if I upgrade/change again I'm not too out of pocket.
  • Max budget is probably £2k, but less than that would be preferred! I don't see this upgrade as necessarily the final one, just a step up.
Oh, and just remembered that I tried a new system 54 as well. Didn't work for me.

Well done Timbo. I love my YTS 62!!!!

Good to hear, thanks Prof! :thumb:
Congrats on your 1st of many years Timbo :clapping: and if i may say so you have come on in giant strides (listened to your posts) :thumb: good luck with the upgrade search :)

Thanks trimmy, appreciate it :)

I made a comment in another thread that, once you get to a certain standard of sax (which the YTS62 certainly exceeds) any sax will be good enough for any player, and the difference between them are really a question of personal preference. I've played a few YTS62s over the years, and although my own personal preference led me to a Yanagisawa, there is no doubt that the 62 is a fine sax, very well made and highly reliable. Pretty good value, too.

There will be some sax bores (particularly on US websites) who will tell you Japanese saxes are lacking 'character'. Just ignore them, it's the player that provides the character, not the horn.

Good luck in your search, when you get one I'm sure you'll be delighted with it.

Thanks Jon, I'd have to make sure I didn't tell the sax bores that I've been playing a chinese sax for the last year, they might become apoplectic ;)

Keep your eyes out and you can find bargains! I paid £800 for my YTS 62, it had only been played nine times I believe! It is immaculate! Will watch out for you.

I also tried the Ref 54 and did not get on with it.

Seems like youy're in a good position. You know pretty much what you want and are prepared to wait for it. But if you're curious about other possibilities, have you considered a trip to Bradford? Not that I've ever been myself, but everyone says good things about it.

Tim don't make any rash decisions regarding buying a Yamaha or whatever before you try my Selmer Ref 54 next Saturday, we want you to spend some SERIOUS money man!

Kev, I've got my Pilinger NYT and am sticking with that for a while. So there.

Chris, I think it's top of the list at the moment.

Martin, do you mean woodwind exchange? It's a bit of a trek, but could be fun! I'll drop him an email and see what he has in.

Keep your eyes out and you can find bargains! I paid £800 for my YTS 62, it had only been played nine times I believe! It is immaculate! Will watch out for you.

I also tried the Ref 54 and did not get on with it.

£800? Blimey at that price I'd put up with it having been played ten times :thumb:

I didn't try a ref 54, it was a system 54 I tried. Just looked at the price of the ref 54...gulp.

Tim don't make any rash decisions regarding buying a Yamaha or whatever before you try my Selmer Ref 54 next Saturday, we want you to spend some SERIOUS money man!

Hah! Can't see me picking anything up before then, but believe me when I say that picking up a new reed is fairly serious money for me! I'm feeling faint just thinking about picking up your Selmer...

Hi Timbo,

Congrats on your 1st anniversary. Mine was 2 days ago. :sax:

I think Woodwind Exchange is your best bet. You can see what Dawkes, sax.co.uk and Howarths have second hand on their websites. Most of what they have is new, but you can keep your eye out.

You can always ring Woodwind before you go, to see what they have, or even ask them to call you if something specific comes in.

Alternative is ebay, which may work if it's within travelling distance so you can try and see the sax.

Well done on your first year Tim. Have fun looking for your next sax and try as many as you can. I'd certainly say try Stu at Woodwind Exchange. Go for the day and be prepared to stay all day. He (or Julie or son number 1 whose name escapes me) will set you up in a room and just keep on bringing horn after horn until your dizzy (well if you're like me that is - a bit giddy at the best of times). if you don't buy anything you'll still have had a good day out with lots of tea or coffee.

I know there are loads of shops nearer to you but WE really is an experience everyone should try at sometime imho.

All the best and I think you'll love Fraser's ref 54, I love my alto and like I've said many times not because of the name, the price or anything else other than the sound, the ergonomics and of course because it's pretty :)

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom