All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

01/07/2013 My Funny Valentine

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
I'll start a new thread for the next tune..Let me know if you need/want backing tracks or dots..

Chris..

Di in France

Locality
France
Chris, I've got an aebersold for this, I think, but aren't we all supposed to be using the same sheets and backing?

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
We probably are Di, but, there are 2 or 3 versions over on the Improv website. So long as the sheet is the same it probably doesn't matter. I still haven't seen many versions of "How High the Moon" over there btw.. There tune choice is not the greatest or easiest for beginners.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Had a little time to play around with this tune this afternoon. Just x2 choruses, head then one chorus of improv. Mostly used common scales and chord tones..

http://snd.sc/14Nq6qF

Chris...

Profusia

Locality
Worcestershire
Had a little time to play around with this tune this afternoon. Just x2 choruses, head then one chorus of improv. Mostly used common scales and chord tones..

http://snd.sc/14Nq6qF

Chris...

Well done Chris, nice blow to get us all started. Velvety tone as always! Not sure when I'll get around to having a go at this one. Hopefully soon.

thesaxman71

AAAW, one of my all time favourite ballads, is this thread open to anyone to post a version or is it just for people on that course thingy? :)

Profusia

Locality
Worcestershire
AAAW, one of my all time favourite ballads, is this thread open to anyone to post a version or is it just for people on that course thingy? :)

I thought you did do the course Ian? Did I misundertsand that?

I had assumed this thread was open to anyone but not sure. That's if you don't mind upsetting us all by making us realise even more how rubbish we are! lol Sorry I shouldn't speak for everyone else... how rubbish I am! :w00t:

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
Yes, it's open to anyone to post. It's not a showcase thread though. Perhaps? Guys that are more proficient improvisers, might like to explain what they are actually playing. That doesn't have to be note for note, but perhaps when you record tunes you could play in a way that you might be able to explain here in words. Eg " First 4 bars I was using chord tones" " Next 4 bars I used a common scale but not starting on the root" " for the bridge I played this" etc etc. That way there will be an aural ref so people can hear and read what is going on.
That said you don't have to and it's not a rule to post you explain, it just would be really good and would make a very good educational tool.

@Clive, lovely smoky tone on a great tune..
@Thomas, thanks for listening and commenting.

Chris..

thesaxman71

Yes, it's open to anyone to post. It's not a showcase thread though. Perhaps? Guys that are more proficient improvisers, might like to explain what they are actually playing. That doesn't have to be note for note, but perhaps when you record tunes you could play in a way that you might be able to explain here in words. Eg " First 4 bars I was using chord tones" " Next 4 bars I used a common scale but not starting on the root" " for the bridge I played this" etc etc. That way there will be an aural ref so people can hear and read what is going on.
That said you don't have to and it's not a rule to post you explain, it just would be really good and would make a very good educational tool.
Chris..
The educational side was also in the front of my mind as I have had a fair few forum members asking me in person advice via PM etc as to how to do certain things in playing/improvisation so maybe it would be a good learning device for those newer to improvisation if a player like myself (not meant in an arrogant sense) was able to give an insight into my personal approach to improvisation and thought processes with a basic analytic break down. May be a good idea if people were to transcribe certain solo sections that interest them and wish to incorporate into their own playing then maybe share their findings on here for all to digest. Just an idea, and i am glad to help out in any way.

thesaxman71

I thought you did do the course Ian? Did I misundertsand that?

I had assumed this thread was open to anyone but not sure. That's if you don't mind upsetting us all by making us realise even more how rubbish we are! lol Sorry I shouldn't speak for everyone else... how rubbish I am! :w00t:

I did sign up, but i only used it as a kind of "blowing off the cob webs" exercise for re-capping things i learnt many moons ago.

As for upsetting, that is never my aim, and i know you are kinda joking when you say that, but to me nobody who dedicates themselves to learn music is rubbish, i think it is great...

Profusia

Locality
Worcestershire
...but to me nobody who dedicates themselves to learn music is rubbish, i think it is great...

Haha you should maybe reserve that until AFTER you hear my take ;}

Hope to finally have a look at this very soon now. Its actually an old favourite tune of mine since I heard Elvis Costello do it (yes yes I know I know). It might even make the wedding list for next month (a family thing - they don't know what they are letting themselves in for!)

I'm very behind on listening to sound clips on here (been busy and keep forgetting to bring my earphones in to work ;}). Really looking forward to hearing what Clivey's done with it as I know that will be amazing.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom