SYOS

Accessories £8/€10 Leak Light

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
A couple of weeks ago @saxyjt mentioned in the middle of a thread that he was using an LED strip from Ikea as a leak light, and it only cost €10. This little revelation was probably lost to most if us - given where it was few would ever have seen it. I finally got around to buying one on Friday and I thought it was worth telling you about it.

It works, which is probably the most important bit of information you need, ;)

And it comes with three sections of 33cm each - put them together and you have a 1m leak light, which should even keep the bari players happy.

As you can see in the picture it has its own power supply and on/off switch. The cable from the plug to the adapter is around 1m long as is the cable from the adaptor to the LED strip. The only criticism I can think of is that I'd like it to be a little brighter ... I don't know why, though, as it's more than bright enough to do the job.

It's already helped me find a leak on my old Trevor James tenor. Top bit of kit at a bargain price. Many, many thanks Saxy. :sax:

Last edited:

jonf

Excellent, thanks. I've ordered one to be delivered. Although there is an Ikea not too far from me it would cost more than the delivery charge to get there and back. Looks like it should be with me mid week.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
It's already helped me find a leak on my old Trevor James tenor. Top bit of kit at a bargain price. Many, many thanks Saxy.
You welcome!

I use it almost weekly... When I suspect a leak. And of course it's my best friend when I repad.

I never had a problem with my baritone, but if I did it wouldn't help unless I remove the pigtail and as I'm not sure it's easy to put back in place I leave it alone... As long as it doesn't show any signs of leaks, I'll keep it as it is.

if you need a leak light, what the Eck think about Anita and get a LEDBERG*.

* For those who miss the reference, watch Fellini's Dolce Vita with Marcello Mastroianni.

DavidUK

Mine was made from an old phone charger (you have one in your drawer) and a suitable voltage LED strip from eBay taped to a piece of wooden dowel. Join them together.

Works fine. Cheap.

jonf

I never had a problem with my baritone, but if I did it wouldn't help unless I remove the pigtail and as I'm not sure it's easy to put back in place I leave it alone... As long as it doesn't show any signs of leaks, I'll keep it as it is.
You could probably still use it by removing the Eb key and sliding it in. After completing whatever work you've done you can then check the Eb key itself after refitting it by dropping a small torch down the bell.

My Ledberg turned up yesterday. It's an excellent thing.

randulo

Playing saxophone 21 months - 2.4% of my life
Subscriber
I made one with a LED bar and the battery that came with a reel of flexible LEDs, so no charger or cable. This is a great way that LED has improved our lives as saxophone players :)

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
Cool, but you can buy a leak light for even less on alibabà. I just received it. Something like Eur 6. And it works well :)

Maybe I'm silly, but I feel a little bit reluctant to buy electronics directly from Aliexpress. Not sure I can trust the QC so I don't get electrocuted...

randulo

Subscriber
Almost everything you purchase in the West, from Apple computers and iPhones, to cameras, to shoes, socks and shirts and nearly all technology is made in China.

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
Almost everything you purchase in the West, from Apple computers and iPhones, to cameras, to shoes, socks and shirts and nearly all technology is made in China.
That's true, but Apple still either has their own QC or enforces good QC on the Chinese factories. I'm not saying I distrust Chinese products, just that anyone can sell on Aliexpress and I have little general confidence things will work. Having said that, I have bought both good and bad things from there.

randulo

Subscriber
I too have bought good and bad things from there. My personal experience anecdote (aka you get what you pay for) :

I bought a lot of 5 Samsung 2A phone chargers. They worked ok for a year. One overheated and started smoking. Another stopped working. They were very cheap, but I think they were factory rejects. Quality varies considerably and you (anyone) is right to reflect on whether it's something that could either cause poisoning or electrical/fire damage, just because control is minimal.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
One important question is always: Can I afford to buy cheap?

Then, what's really appreciated with some online retailers is their return policy. They can't always guaranty the quality of the products they sell, but if you can return them and get an alternative fast and at no cost, I tend to go that route.

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
One important question is always: Can I afford to buy cheap?

Then, what's really appreciated with some online retailers is their return policy. They can't always guaranty the quality of the products they sell, but if you can return them and get an alternative fast and at no cost, I tend to go that route.
I did that with a baritone sax from gear4music. Ended up returning it, but if I had been a little lucky I think it could've worked out.

It does depend on the product though.

Top Bottom