No ads if you sign up and login
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do i get so wet when i

Discussion in 'Beginners questions' started by 1954pip, Dec 22, 2010.

1. 1954pip

1954pip Member

hi still trying to play my alto ,but there's always a but why do i get a lot of saliva when i play i seem get very wet , is that normal does it get better only i realy don't like the thought of it, i have started washing the reeds after i play for about 2 hours .
  2. saxnik

saxnik Member

Different people have different experiences of this!

Without wishing to sound daft, I think I swallow a lot between phrases (certainly if there's beer)!
    Playing in a warmer room might help too, since if your sax is cold just blowing down it will cause condensation. Most saxes leak a bit from the top Eb pad, is that what you mean?

Nick
  3. half diminished

half diminished Senior Member

Are you sure it's saliva and not condensation. My 66RUL leaks around the A and B keys after 30/40 minutes playing especially since I've been using subtone by injecting warmer air from deeper down. I guess it's an occupational hazard.
  4. Nick Wyver

Nick Wyver noisy

Sounds pretty normal to me.
  5. johnboy

johnboy Senior Member

I'm afraid it's something we all suffer from, but to varying degrees. In the desert, people put a stone in their mouth to promote saliva.
    This is probably the same efect.

John.
  6. VirusKiller

VirusKiller Member

As does my BW tenor.
  7. thehunt

thehunt Member

Concur with above, should decrease as you get better, i also find some days i have more thans others.
  8. MandyH

MandyH Well-Known Member

It does get a bit better, though.
    I also leak (Yani 901) and make an effort to swallow wherever possible.
    My teacher suggested cleaning my teeth befor playing - something about it reduces the amount of saliva you produce.
    I haven't tried it; but the saliva production has improved over time
  9. johnboy

johnboy Senior Member

Good work Mandy, keep at it!!!

John.
  10. 1954pip

1954pip Member

thanks to all who replied

hi all i would just like to thank every one who answered to my post great to know it will get better ,it just a bit rough having it dripping and a bit of annoyance.
    i also get a drip from the mouth piece to cork joint on the cork there are a couple of holes where the black bits have come out they are only small, would it be an easy job to replace myself or is it best left alone ?
  11. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

12. stefank

stefank Member

Dripping is an occupational hazard for most wind players. If you tire of dripping on yourself, take up the flute. With good management you can then drip on the person next to you!
  13. stefank

stefank Member

Like so:

[​IMG]
  14. 1954pip

1954pip Member

anyone know where i can buy a flute
  15. kevgermany

lol

There's always the bassoon, it's a standing joke that you don't play close to the bassoonists - cos they pull the crook out and blow the moisture away...
  16. TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo Well-Known Member

As far as I can see you do need moisture to produce sound - saliva production is much worse when playing brass instruments - hence there are two water keys on most instruments, and the general advice is only to play with a wet mouth if you want a good sound (otherwise you cannot make full use of your embouchure - just like engines need oil) so I will be drinking water before and during playing, and always have a tea towel or similar on the floor below to catch moisture when I open a water key.

I did notice that my production of saliva was much greater when I started playing sax, but also now properly wet my reeds beforehand, and may therefore need to produce less of my own.

I would conclude that moisture is key to a good sound, and not primarily an occupational hazard.

Kind regards
    Tom
  17. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Chief of Stuff Cafe Moderator

Easy enough but get good quality cork. See Stephen Howard's site and/or repair manual.
  18. VirusKiller

VirusKiller Member

I remember doing that!
  19. kevgermany

I guess the peg on the music stand is to hang the music on the washing line after playing, when you've dripped all over it as you swing around a little....
  20. stefank

stefank Member

'Twas a tad breezy. Besides, Welsh trumpet players (even if he did migrate here in about the first year of his life) are mroe absorbent.
  21. johnboy

johnboy Senior Member

I must be doing something wrong, because I have just taken my tenor off the stand (bone dry reed), and it played perfectly.
    I normally give it a drink of beer first, but thought I'd try it dry, to see how it would perform.
    Shucks, now I've lost my excuse for a pint! My wife tells me to drink only wine, because of my girth (which I say, is caused by my medication!!!).

John.
  22. Paul Inglis

Paul Inglis Senior Member

Well I'm not going to ask you how you managed that as I prefer a few pints of beer ;} Moving the sax around the fuel tank isn't posing any problems for me :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  23. johnboy

johnboy Senior Member

I had a pint yesterday, after 2-3 weeks of drinking gallons of " vino tinto", and the beer tasted foul ( the m'piece didn't complain!!).
    Does it really matter if you don't wet/soak the reed? - I don't think so.

John.
  24. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 New Member

well i drop too. in fact i felt this afternoon that my wetness was dripping on my fingers from the holes (top ones). Sadly the feeling was true, my steam turned into condensation ran down my fingers.

joke aside, i noticed that i had to put some extra effort into practising (3rd time only btw) to get to where i was 15 mins earlier. I suspect this is normal and it will improve with time.

As for the reed i have a carbon one and i really prefer it over the wood one.

thanks
    ralphy
  25. ladyraygun

ladyraygun New Member

My old bari doesn't have a water key so when I rest it horizontally on my knees during rests, it often goes for a wee-wee on my legs or if I'm lucky the floor. Why it can't use a litter tray i don't know. Perhaps I should rub its nose in the puddle? Or hit it with a rolled up newspaper!
  26. kevgermany

Good one. Have you tried stilboestrol? Worked wonders on my old doberman bitch when she started to leak.