No ads if you sign up and login
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaguely Exotic, slightly Festive Spiced confectionary....

Discussion in 'Jazz Recipes' started by Jules, Oct 24, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Jules

Jules Formerly known as "nachoman"

From the recipe book of the Fat45 horn section (itself a hotbed of culinary experimentation), I give you Chai Bricks- a confectionary designed by our trombone player to accompany a cuppa, emulating an Indian Chai, Spiced tea sort of experience.

mix about a litre (I use a jug to measure) of rolled oats in a bowl, add a desert spoon of cocoa powder, a shed load of chopped fresh ginger, grd black pepper to taste, mix in a tin of sweetened condensed milk and spread mixture out evenly in the base of a tray , place in fridge ........ take 400g of milk chocolate, add fresh/ fine ground cardamom (from about 20 green pods) and melt, when melted pour on top of oaty base and refridgerate, score chocolate well for sweet size before fully setting otherwise it cracks weirdly when you try to cut it. Happy confectioning......
  2. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

That sounds really interesting. I guess a few chopped chillis would go well in it.....
  3. Jules

Hm.... I'm a great chili lover myself- might have to be tried like that. As it stands its going for a more cosy, mulled wine kind of spiciness rather than firey kind of ooomph.....
  4. TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo Well-Known Member

Excellent recipe Jules! My wife and 10yo daughter have offered to do it tomorrow - so I'll be able to try it when I get home from work. I'll let you know what I thought.
  5. Jules

Let us know the verdict.... they're great with a cup of tea.....
  6. jonf

jonf Well-Known Member

With a glass of port? (Half pint glass after the day I've had today).
  7. Jules

following several sessions of manufacturing these little beauts... a slight update on the technique. For better structural integrity I've now taken to cooling the oat/ginger mix in the fridge, breaking it up into small chunks and then mixing with the melted chocolate/cardomon mix.From thence back into the tray. They seem to hold together better this way...