No ads if you sign up and login
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. StaotFollowing the recent upgrade, please delete your browser cache if you are having display problems with the forum.

Tex Beneke

Discussion in 'Big Band & Jazz Orchestra' started by Pjonah, May 13, 2009.

1. Pjonah

Pjonah Member

[YOUTUBE]kIQq1j1-AQU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Thankfully the war hadn't started in 1941, so Miller had the full compliment in the Orchestra!

But I still love this pug faced Tenorman, I love his style of playing, but the geekyness of the video, bit twee by modern standards and back then I guess.

Unusually for a sax player he can sing, well kind of and whistle too. Check out also I've got a Gal in Kalamazoo, great stuff also for the Nicholas Brothers dancing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  2. AlanU

AlanU Member

For a long time is has been very naff to say so, but he had a fantastic band.

Jazzers sneer etc.
    It was the pop music of it's time and his band was hugely popular along with the Goodman, the Dorseys etc.

These guys were playing together several times a day week in week out. They were tight.

By the way, where are all those vintage horns now?
    Maybe you have one, maybe I do?

What a great dance routine too.

ps. didn't the war start in 1939? It was my dads excuse for not coming home for six years.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010