support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer Mk7 alto 1976

2112sax

I'm after some help regarding the Selmer Mk7 alto, I may not have looked in the right place just yet, but it seems that there is very little info on the Mk7. I happen to know where I can lay my hands on one, but can find very little to go on. are they that bad??
Does anyone have any info before i jump in the car to try it out, I don't fancy going 80 mile unprepared.
help appreciated.:confused:

I suspect the only reason people took a dislike to them is that Selmer stopped calling them MkVIs. If they'd carried on with that name everyone would want one. They are very good saxes. If you can pick up one for a knockdown price then I'd be inclined to go for it.

Last year I got a Mk7 tenor at a very good price and a Mk7 alto at a reasonable price. They are both very good horns indeed.

They are certainly a bit brighter in sound than the MkVI - a bit more "in your face" and maybe less flexible. But they share a similar 'Selmer' sound, are maybe more robust and have fine actions. A lot of people warn about the ergonomics of the keywork, especially the little fingers (pinkies) of both hands, but I have no problem on them and my hands are fairly average in size.

Go for it.

Rhys

I suspect the only reason people took a dislike to them is that Selmer stopped calling them MkVIs. If they'd carried on with that name everyone would want one. They are very good saxes. If you can pick up one for a knockdown price then I'd be inclined to go for it.

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. I will see what price can be agreed on and take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom