PPT mouthpieces

Peter Gunn Theme

Martin

Locality
Grenada, West Indies
At last I've got a recording of myself that I'm not totally ashamed of. Still plenty wrong with it though, I'm sure. In fact, I'll welcome constructive criticism...find out if what you think is wrong with it agrees with what I think!

Here it is, me featured playing Peter Gunn with 'The Doc Adams Blues Band':

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22471442/08 Peter Gunn Theme.m4a

Cheers,
Martin

Nowt wrong with that Martin, great tone, nice growling, in fact i would say that your version is better than some recorded versions i've heard. Every version i've heard has been played different including yours. When i play it i mix the different version's i've heard into my own version. Your version is great, I'd be interested to know what you think's wrong with it.
Regards Rob.

Yea I got a problem with it..... How come we had to wait this bloomin long to hear it!

Fan Tas Tic

Way to go mate ...

Nice job Martin ... :thankyou:

I am off to practice ... :welldone

I can't listen to the clip. When I click on the "dropbox" link I just get an empty window. Anyone who knows why?

Thomas

:mrcool great playing. :welldone

I can't listen to the clip. When I click on the "dropbox" link I just get an empty window. Anyone who knows why?

Thomas

Prolly an add-on or Plugin required by your browser ...

Lol can't escape YouTube, always good to put a face to a name, and you should be pleased with it

Keep blowing

Nowt wrong with that Martin, great tone, nice growling, in fact i would say that your version is better than some recorded versions i've heard. Every version i've heard has been played different including yours. When i play it i mix the different version's i've heard into my own version. Your version is great, I'd be interested to know what you think's wrong with it.
Regards Rob.

Hi Rob,

When I first heard it, I had the sensation that I was playing a little flat, but as I listenned more, the sensation went away. I was interested to know if anyone else thought the same.

Also, in a few phrases, I came in a little too much ahead of the beat...that's easy to fix.

And another thing...in some instances, instead of hitting a note cleanly, I bend quickly up to it...I think hitting it cleanly would sound better. I'm not talking about the obviously deliberate bends...but the little ones, which are more like just a lazy way of hitting the note.

Isn't it interesting to hear yourself played back...as long as you don't commit suicide, it's a good way to improve details that you perhaps were not aware of.

Martin

I liked the way you bent the notes, sound's more pro, A great version. Is your horn vintage? sure sound's like it. To be honest it's one of the best Tenor's i've heard. What is it? if you don't mind me asking, also what's the mouthpiece?Thank's for a great sound clip.
Regards Rob.

Thomas

First guess would be your firewall or AV suite.

The other thing is the format, you need Realplayer or similar for it to play, WMP doesn't work.

I liked the way you bent the notes, sound's more pro, A great version. Is your horn vintage? sure sound's like it. To be honest it's one of the best Tenor's i've heard. What is it? if you don't mind me asking, also what's the mouthpiece?Thank's for a great sound clip.
Regards Rob.

Thanks Rob,

It's a 'The Martin', year 1946, and I'm playing with a PPT9* mouthpiece and a RJS 2S reed. When I first got the PPT9*, I was playing it with a harder reed and I could only get a clean, rather mellow sound. Since I put the softer reed on it, I play higher up the mouthpiece, with a looser jaw and when I 'over blow', the note breaks up nicely giving a slightly wild sound....I'm liking it that way at the moment.

Martin

Thank's Martin,
That's a great sound and a great sax, dont lose that tone it's the dog's b------s.
Rob.