No ads if you sign up and login
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Orleans Muffaletta Olive Salad

Discussion in 'Jazz Recipes' started by Luluna, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Luluna

Luluna Señora

This is great on fish, bread, crackers and pasta. A great way to use up your leftover martini olives (if you have them).

I vary the ingredient list (whatever happens to be in the refrigerator and cupboard)

1 jar black olives, drained (reserve a little brine)
    1 jar of pitted calamata olives, drained
    2 jars/cans pimento-stuffed green olives, drained, (reserve a little brine)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
    splash of olive oil
    2 tablespoons reserved olive brine, or as needed
    ground black pepper to taste

additional options:

1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    3 stalks celery, chopped

Place the black olives, pimento-stuffed green olives, artichoke hearts, onion, celery, garlic, and capers in the bowl of a food processor or chopper. Pulse until the ingredients are uniform in size, but not too small, chunks are good. Add olive oil to moisten. Add equal amounts of green and black olive brine as needed for a moist consistency. Season with black pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before serving - no one in my house can wait that long, so they dig in right away.

It keeps in the refrigerator for a month+ - scoop it up with crusty bread or crackers for an appetizer, make a Muffaletta Sandwich with the crusts cut off, or toss a spoon in pasta for a quick meal.
  2. TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo Well-Known Member

Can I call it "Yankee Tapenade"...........................................................;}! Sounds very worth doing and will give it a go when I get home from the UK Big Apple.

Have a Nice Day
    Tom
  3. Luluna

Luluna Señora

You can call it whatever you want Tom :)

After typing this yesterday, the power of suggestion sucked me in to the kitchen. My husband was standing at the kitchen island with the stash of "Yankee Tapenade" piling it on crackers. :) I decided to make a sandwich and promptly slathered toast with some cream cheese on one side and the olives on the other. Who needs dinner?

Hope you had a safe trip home.
  4. TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo Well-Known Member

You'll soon be making yourself a Coleslaw/Marmite sandwich.............................................:shocked::w00t:;}
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  5. Wade Cornell

Wade Cornell Senior Member

That sounds like a "gag order".