support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My first Lesson

MelodyMaker

Hi,
Just been through Pete's DVD.
I'm due to have my first lesson for free with an established saxophone teacher and supplier next week.
As I'm also buying a new Yamaha Alto from him, what do you think I should check the instrument for and what can I expect to cover in the first lesson?

Thank You.

MelodyMaker

Hiya, and welcome to the forum (you'll get a chorus of hellos if you stick an introductary post in the Doorbell section!).

Here's what I would provide as a teacher - methods vary of course!
I would play the sax for you, so you can hear what it can sound like, and to prove that the instrument is set up correctly. If you're buying a new Yamaha you can't really go wrong as long as the price is in your budget, they're famous for their consistent build quality.

Next I would make you take it apart and put it together again. This is to show you the delicate bits, and how to hold it, familiarise you with the reed etc.

Finally I'd get you playing some notes, actually blowing down the thing, with particular reference to how to position your mouth (embouchure, pronounced 'om-boo-shore').

If you're a really advanced student we'll be onto Three Blind Mice in no time...

Good luck with it, keep us informed!

Nick

Next I would make you take it apart and put it together again. This is to show you the delicate bits, and how to hold it, familiarise you with the reed etc.

Don't be scared. He only means that you will be asked to put on the neck, attach a reed to the mouthpiece and put the mouthpiece on the neck. So, there is no need to bring along your set of screwedirvers.

Reply- My First Lesson

Thanks Nick and Beck, ;}

I really can't wait for the 15th.
I've booked lessons with the guy up to Christmas.
Pete's DVD is very easy to understand and it has my mouth watering
as I prepare to take the first step on a new musical journey.

The chap's name is Richard Wansborough from Reading who runs a shop there.
www.saxstore.co.uk

Cheers,
Eric
Wexford, Ireland

For me, a slightly different approach...

look for cosmetic damage - scratches etc.

Get a good feel for whether or not you can work with him - be prepared to cancel if you don't think it'll work. The pupil/teacher relationship is critical, some work, some don't.

Look forward to learning and having fun, but be realistic in your expectations. You aern't going to be playing like Stan Getz by the end of the year.... AND be very aware that your progress is very dependant on the work you put in. Teachers are there to guide, instruct, but you're the one who needs to work at it. Some of the work is fun, other bits not. One lovely habit some teachers have is making you spend the first week or two just blowing the mouthpiece - and it's a good, if painful exercise.

Thanks Nick and Beck, ;}

I really can't wait for the 15th.
I've booked lessons with the guy up to Christmas.
Pete's DVD is very easy to understand and it has my mouth watering
as I prepare to take the first step on a new musical journey.

The chap's name is Richard Wansborough from Reading who runs a shop there.
www.saxstore.co.uk

Cheers,
Eric
Wexford, Ireland

Wow, Ireland to Reading for sax lessons? I thought I was keen travelling 40 miles round trip for my lessons with Saxnik.

Hi AndyG
I travel to Soho in London a lot for various jazz gigs and I plan to take in a gig after my tuition visits to Reading.
So it's a win-win for me.

How is it working for you with Nick?

Hi AndyG
I travel to Soho in London a lot for various jazz gigs and I plan to take in a gig after my tuition visits to Reading.
So it's a win-win for me.

How is it working for you with Nick?
Nice one.
Its working out really well with Nick, we have a lesson every fortnight.
cheers

Its working out really well with Nick, we have a lesson every fortnight.
He has to say that, he knows I'm watching...!

I'm not very near to either EMids or Birmingham (just over half an hour in the car to either). While I'm sure Richard's a good teacher, there must be someone closer to you?!

Kev's made some good points too - there shouldn't be any cosmetic damage if it's a new sax (it may still even be in its plastic wrapper inside the case), though it's probably been set up by a technician after shipping.
The points about teacher-pupil relationship are definitely true, and effort is definitely the thing. There's that 'getting out what you put in' equation - to start with there has to be a lot more practice put in to get low musical returns out of it, but eventually (a couple of years at least with most people) you start to get more and more back, and you sound better and better.

Andy's getting to that point now (cheesy compliment backatcha!), and it's entirely down to the work he's put in, all I've done is guide him a bit.

Good luck with it all, keep us informed!

Nick

Great stuff Nick
Will definitely check out things with you in the new year.
Are you near to public transport that goes near New Street or Broad Street by any chance?
Yes, Richard is incredibly passionate about teaching so I'm sure he will have the Yammy set up for me and ready to play.
I'm prepared to put in whatever is required because music is such a pleasure to me.

Birmingham New Street is (again) about 45 mins away by car, but a train and a bus will bring you to my door in about an hour (plus the change/waiting time!)...

P.S. you do know not to fly Ryanair with your sax, don't you? They're much more snotty than other airlines about carry-on baggage, insisting you buy a seat, despite the fact the case will fit perfectly well in the overheads. This woouldn't be so bad if they didn't fling all checked baggage down from the aircraft onto the tarmac and stamp on it before giving it back...

Nick

Thanks for all the info Nick.
I will use a student Alto at home for now as a workaround and keep the Yammy at Richard's until my lessons run out.
He has agreed to ship it over then with tracking and insurance etc.
I was lucky to grab a bunch of 12 Euro Ryanair return tickets to get me over Brum/Luton up to Christmas.
If you could let me have your postcode, I will check out the transport options.
The way train prices are rising, it might be better to hire a small car for the day.

you may be right - I'll PM my postcode.

The train fair brum-lichfield is about £5-6 return, or you might be able to get connecting buses straight from Brum. Arriva has a bit of a monopoly through the village, they're a scam, £5 'all day' (i.e. return) on Arriva for a six mile round trip.

Nick

P.S. you do know not to fly Ryanair with your sax, don't you? They're much more snotty than other airlines about carry-on baggage, insisting you buy a seat, despite the fact the case will fit perfectly well in the overheads. This woouldn't be so bad if they didn't fling all checked baggage down from the aircraft onto the tarmac and stamp on it before giving it back...

Nick

Uh huh! That's a real good tip nick, with those real cheapie deals it's a great way not to let the sax out of sight!
Cheers
Jimu