1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out the new media gallery. See "Pics& Vids" tab in the main navigation bar.
    See the photo contest here

Mulled Wine

Discussion in 'Jazz Recipes' started by tenorviol, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tenorviol

tenorviol Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Time for a seasonal beverage. Mulled wine is basically the same as the French 'vin chaud' or the German/Austrian '[FONT=&quot]Glühwein'.

Couple of cautionary guidelines: you don't want it to boil; you also don't want to heat it for too long - you'll get bitter overtones out of the cloves etc if you do - remove these if you need to reheat.

Here goes....

INGREDIENTS

[/FONT]
    • Couple of bottles of a nice full bodied red wine. Something like a Chilean or Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon. Don't go for really cheap wine - it won't taste any good!
    • Equal amount of water (1.5 litres)
    • 1 orange studded with cloves (probably about 2 dozen)
    • 2 oranges and 2 lemons sliced
    • 6 tablespoons of sugar (I prefer demerara, but ordinary granulated is fine) or use honey - I tend to use a mix of both
    • Whole cinnamon stick (2 or 3 inches) broken in two
    • 2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger
    • Some fruit liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier, cherry brandy etc) or brandy or port

METHOD

• Put everything except the liqueur/brandy/port into a large saucepan or pot (I use an 8 pint pot)
    • Heat up to simmering point, stir with a wooden spoon to ensure sugar dissolves
    • DO NOT allow it to boil
    • Allow to barely simmer for about 20 minutes - do not overdo this as it will get a bitter taste from the cloves
    • Just before serving, add a good slug of liqueur/brandy/port
    • Check taste :w00t: and add sugar if necessary
    You can prepare in advance, but don't add the liqueur/brandy/port, reheat and then add at the end (or you will boil the alcohol off).

Tip for serving: dip a small jug into the pot and pour through a tea strainer into wine glasses to serve - much less messy!