1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mulled Wine

Discussion in 'Jazz Recipes' started by tenorviol, Dec 4, 2011.

1. tenorviol

tenorviol Well-Known Member

Time for a seasonal beverage. Mulled wine is basically the same as the French 'vin chaud' or the German/Austrian '[FONT=&quot]Glühwein'.

Couple of cautionary guidelines: you don't want it to boil; you also don't want to heat it for too long - you'll get bitter overtones out of the cloves etc if you do - remove these if you need to reheat.

Here goes....

INGREDIENTS

[/FONT]
    • Couple of bottles of a nice full bodied red wine. Something like a Chilean or Bulgarian Cabernet Sauvignon. Don't go for really cheap wine - it won't taste any good!
    • Equal amount of water (1.5 litres)
    • 1 orange studded with cloves (probably about 2 dozen)
    • 2 oranges and 2 lemons sliced
    • 6 tablespoons of sugar (I prefer demerara, but ordinary granulated is fine) or use honey - I tend to use a mix of both
    • Whole cinnamon stick (2 or 3 inches) broken in two
    • 2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger
    • Some fruit liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier, cherry brandy etc) or brandy or port

METHOD

• Put everything except the liqueur/brandy/port into a large saucepan or pot (I use an 8 pint pot)
    • Heat up to simmering point, stir with a wooden spoon to ensure sugar dissolves
    • DO NOT allow it to boil
    • Allow to barely simmer for about 20 minutes - do not overdo this as it will get a bitter taste from the cloves
    • Just before serving, add a good slug of liqueur/brandy/port
    • Check taste :w00t: and add sugar if necessary
    You can prepare in advance, but don't add the liqueur/brandy/port, reheat and then add at the end (or you will boil the alcohol off).

Tip for serving: dip a small jug into the pot and pour through a tea strainer into wine glasses to serve - much less messy!