Support the Cafe
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kirk Whalum Lesson

Discussion in 'Smooth & Fusion' started by Flipper2008, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Flipper2008

Flipper2008 Member

Man this is such good philosophy, and the circular breathing is amazing too, definately worth watching.

[YOUTUBE]5EB2yLJYivo[/YOUTUBE]

Flipp.

2. Taz

Taz Busking Oracle

38 years.......... only 33 to go!! :w00t: :))):)))
    Fantastic thanks for posting, and just as I thought I was getting better ha ha ha!

3. AlanU

AlanU Member

There you go, 'something to work on when you've nothing else to do'!

Taz, I've heard that the first 37 years are the hardest.
    But blimey

4. gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme Well-Known Member

My goodness

I just wish I understood one tenth of that never mind actually doing it:w00t:

5. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

Thanks for this posting Flipper, but you have me in a quandary now after listening to your post iv'e checked out Kirk Whalum and he is brilliant, but now i'm thinking i should get a tenor !!!

very good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzXIUXEB5n4

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  6. Flipper2008

Flipper2008 Member

Hey Trimmy, Im glad you liked the Kirk Whalum post, as for switching to Tenor, I did not very long ago and hardly touch the Alto now. The tenor is far easier to blow, it just takes a little more diaphram volume to get the low notes out and looser lips :). Maybe if you know someone who has one they may let you give it a try.

peace

Flipp

7. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

Go for it, the tenor is so much richer!

8. gladsaxisme

gladsaxisme Well-Known Member

But the ALTO is perfection in saxophone......(BIG SPOON OUT)

9. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

Hmmm how difficult would it be to learn both ? I do love playing alto, but also love the sound of tenor, maybe it's better to learn to walk before i can run as the saying goes.

10. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

I bought an alto a year after getting the tenor. It's not too difficult, and I believe it makes you less fussy about reeds and so on. You learn to control your embouchure more by playing both.

I've found it harder to get a good tone on the alto, but probably because I don't play it as often.

11. BigMartin

BigMartin Well-Known Member

..but which is better? There's only one way to find out...

Fight!

(That's a Harry Hill reference, for those of you unfortunate enough to have not seen him).

I'm currently learning both. Mostly concentrating on tenor, as that's what I play on the band I'm in, but try to do two or three days a week on alto. I find the transition from alto to tenor much easier than the other way round, as my alto set up gives my chops more of a work-out (tighter embouchure). I struggle a bit when I start back on the alto, but still love it for it's "perkiness". Wouldn't want to give up on either, but I suppose it's partly a question of how much time you've got (usually 1-2hrs a day for me).

12. andyb1970

andyb1970 Member

Kirk Whalum is one of my favourite tenor players, his sound is so meaningful and soulful it gives me goosebumps. Found this lesson on Youtube a while ago, and it made me realise one thing...I've a lot or practice in front of me to even get anywhere near to be able to do what he is talking about :) One day my idea is if I get good enough on tenor I'd love to play Alto too.

13. visionari1

visionari1 Senior Member

Hi filpp

Good find that you tube....the most amazing thing for me is that he is doing that without reading anything....it's all ears and feeling , he really knows what he's doing , yes 37 years and allot of talent and the right brain set, and determination is what it takes , but as he says always keep pushing yourself to improve....I really get a sense of how much fun practising seems to be for him!

Thanks for posting.

Just to join in on the Alto/Tenor debate, I love Alto and Soprano, I've tried tenors, for me they feel to heavy, hard to blow and cumbersome, but yeah I love the sound, I don't think its lack of wind capacity, though I haven't spent any time on them, just trying them out in a Shop, even top line one's did nothing for me!

14. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

Recieved my 1st Kirk Whalum cd today "the best of" great tunes my fave at the min is The Promise, listenening as i catch up on the forum :)

15. andyb1970

andyb1970 Member

The Promise is a very moving tune I think, you should also try the "In This Life" CD - really soulful playing it that too. A favorites album is a good place to start :)

16. les3716

les3716 Member

Brill!

17. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

I'm going to see the man live tommorow night :happydance: can't wait, he's playing in a small theatre (400 seater) so it will be an intimate performance, he will be with soul/gospel singer John Stoddart. http://www.liverpoollighthouse.com/grammy-award-winner-kirk-whalum-and-john-stoddart/
    I only seen the flyer last week and thought the tickets would be sold out, so was very very pleased to get 2 tickets
    Very much looking forward to it :)

18. Saxlicker

Saxlicker Senior Member

:mad:
    You lucky lucky....

19. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

Very very :D

A few pics(not taken by me)
    Kirk Whalum 3.jpg Kirk Whalum 2.jpg Kirk Whalum.jpg
    I do have a pic of myself with KW signing a cd (sad i know)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012