support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones How do you date a YAS62 Alto

BeBopSop

Locality
worcester england
Hi all, How do you date a YAS62? answer 'get yer coat on yer pulled' sorry had to get that out of my system.
Anyway I would love to know the age of my alto I know this isnt easy, I have tried on the net and can get it to between early 80s (mark 1) to 2000 (mark 2) I know it is a mark1 with a serial no. starting 0505**
any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi all, How do you date a YAS62? answer 'get yer coat on yer pulled' sorry had to get that out of my system.
Anyway I would love to know the age of my alto I know this isnt easy, I have tried on the net and can get it to between early 80s (mark 1) to 2000 (mark 2) I know it is a mark1 with a serial no. starting 0505**
any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Yamaha serial dating is rather hard to know.If you know its early then I would just settle on that.

I've seen various posts saying that if you write to Yamaha, they'll tell you, but otherwise it's not easy, cos the records aren't published, and the serial numbers aren't consecutive or necessarily in order. ymmv.

Email Yamaha the serial number. They came back to me with a date within 24 hrs.

Thanks, I will do that, regards John

I phoned them (Yamaha UK) and they came back next day! June/July 1991 (she's knocking on....) but a vintage year for the YAS62
thanks, John

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i would like to thank you BeBopSax, aka John, you inspired me to get my YTS-62's age checked out so i did what you did and called yamaha, they sorted it out via email after calling head office in Japan and the date of mine was slighty harder but they narrowed it down to being made between 1980 to 1982, a true vintage purple logo 62 that i adore and will never part with.
Ian

Well i would like to thank you BeBopSax, aka John, you inspired me to get my YTS-62's age checked out so i did what you did and called yamaha, they sorted it out via email after calling head office in Japan and the date of mine was slighty harder but they narrowed it down to being made between 1980 to 1982, a true vintage purple logo 62 that i adore and will never part with.
Ian

I am going to keep mine too, I have had a few saxes now, and I love this one, (I only own one sax) I bought this one recently, and was impressed with the build,finish and sound. I did have a Yanagisawa alto before this one but prefer the Yamaha (I also have had a Selmer sa80 but cant remember what that was like? my 1st was a Trevor James (sounds so British) also a Buescher Aristocrat, was a bit tempramental.... ah reminiscences,,,,,,
[h=2][/h][h=3][/h]

I am going to keep mine too, I have had a few saxes now, and I love this one, (I only own one sax) I bought this one recently, and was impressed with the build,finish and sound. I did have a Yanagisawa alto before this one but prefer the Yamaha (I also have had a Selmer sa80 but cant remember what that was like? my 1st was a Trevor James (sounds so British) also a Buescher Aristocrat, was a bit tempramental.... ah reminiscences,,,,,,
[h=2][/h][h=3][/h]

What a coincidence! We've been down a very similar alto route - my first was an Aristocrat 200, then a TJ Revolution2, then the wonderful YAS62, which is definitely a keeper. I had mine dated when I first got it (about 7 years ago), it's around 1983 and had the purple logo. I really detested that logo, and had to remove it. I now wonder if I did right, as these ones seem to be quite sought-after now.

you would love looking at that logo now... a lot of players removed it and some just got worn off I believe, perhaps someone is re making them??

I don't know if the mods can do anything to streamline the 'Yamaha serial number search/date' subject ??
I did a search both on the Cafe and the internet generally and it seems to be a can of worms regarding the serial number system.
But I found the site linked below useful in so much as it is collecting data in one place. It's also very easy to submit your own information to help. I know you can contact yamaha too but as I say this looks to be a good budding resource.
Serial Number Lists - YamahaCollector Yamaha Loyalist

My YAS 62 Mk I with the extended bell keyguard was one of the last made 2001 it is on the list in the above post. I obtained the number using the email BandAndOrchestra@yamaha.com

Information was returned courtesy of Scott Yousey within 24 hrs.

I had a date with my Purple Logo 62 alto last night...played great with the standard 62 neck, C.E. Winds Gold Genesis 6 metal mouthpiece (replica of a Selmer Jazz metal mouthpiece) and Rico Select Jazz 2M reed....hmmmm...heaven...:rofl::thumb:

Greg S.

Last night, Monday date night with my alto - Pruple Logo 62 series alto circa 1986, Peter Ponzol Gold Plated Custom Neck, Vintage Brilhart Level Air 4 Mouthpiece circa 1969, Rovner Ligature, Vandoren Paris France Java 2 1/2 reed - sweet as...can it get any better?:thumb:

Greg S.

just go up to it and ask it out. you can only get turned down, after all.

Back
Top Bottom