1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CafeSaxophone Social & Workshop
    Autumn event - Sponsored by Atradius
    SEE HERE FOR MORE INFO
    Dismiss Notice

Haynes Saxophone Manual

Discussion in 'Saxophone (technical)' started by Chris98, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Chris98

Chris98 Senior Member

I knew Stephen Howard was working on the Haynes Saxophone Manual and he did say it would be available around Christmas so I did a quick hunt and here it is:

[​IMG]

500 colour illustrations, I bet that took a fair bit of time to do.

I'm sure that sliver saxophone on the cover looks a little familiar.

2. Loading...

Possibly Similar Threads Forum Date
    Haynes Clarinet Manual Other Instruments & Players Feb 15, 2013
    A big thank to Stephen Howard and the Haynes Saxophone Manual Saxophone (technical) Jul 9, 2010
    More on the Haynes sax manual Saxophone (technical) Jun 2, 2010
    Haynes Manual success... I think! Saxophone (technical) Jan 16, 2010

3. kevgermany

kevgermany ex Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

Thanks, I want one. Pity it's not available yet - and no pre-orders :-(

4. Stephen Howard

Stephen Howard Senior Member

Yep - it's due out any day now!

I can't wait myself - although I've seen the proofs ( and written the thing! ) I won't quite believe it until I have a copy of the book in my hands. It'll mark the end of two years of hard graft ( something I'm not used to! ).

It seems to be available from a number of places at various prices, but if anyone fancies a signed copy I'll be selling them via my website in due course.

As for the horn on the front cover, it's the Bauhaus-Walstein pro horn - the tenor is used in the book for the articles. I took a number of test shots of various horns and the BW looked the best by far.

Regards,

5. old git

old git Tremendous Bore

The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
    Stephen,
    Congratulations on completing your task.

Trust there is a dedication to the heroine of my 'Incredibly Famous Saxophonist' thread as Griff has proved too proud to acknowledge The Real Master Technician.

6. Stephen Howard

I wanted to put in a dedication to the great Minnie Banninster, but I got caught out by the Great Ink Shortage. By the time I managed to buy a small quantity from Messrs. Thynne % Moriarty I'd succumbed to the Spon Plague and had to spend a week at the Goosey % Bawkes Sanitorium for Distressed Vagabonds and subsequently missed the publication date.

Regards,

7. Phil Edwards

Phil Edwards Senior Member

Hi Stephen, did me ol' Martin's felt buffer picture make it to the rarified world of hard-copy, or not...

glad to see you're done now,

Phil

8. Stephen Howard

It did indeed ( or at least it was there in the proofs ) - so you win a signed copy and a mention in the acknowledgements!

Cheers,

9. kevgermany

Signed first edition - now we're talking. Please let us know when!

10. jadoube

jadoube Member

Stephen, what are the chances on that option having delivery before Christmas?

When the season of goodwill to all men degenerates into the traditional row over a game of monopoly, granny hovers hopefully under the mistletoe, and the cat does something unpleasant in the dining room it would be good to be able to retire to a quiet room and seek calm with a good book.

11. SaxinNZ

SaxinNZ Member

Yes please Sir

.. put me down for one:D should get my new BW Tenor any day now. I'm sure it will come with a basic operators manual, but you cant beat a Haynes if you want to get down and dirty! Popping the bonnet is one thing, but correct fluid levels, pressures and gasket changing, well you cant do it without a good manual!:welldone

12. Mamos

Mamos Member

Well that's going on my Christmas list

mamos

13. Stephen Howard

The publication date is 'any day now' - and I've reserved a number of copies, so there shouldn't be any problem with delivery well before Crimbo.

Regards,

14. rhysonsax

rhysonsax Well-Known Member

What about an author's signing session possibly at a local literary establishment that serves beer ?

Rhys

PS I like the story of the important author who wrote a dedication to "Emma Chiset" after misunderstaning the approach of a potential reader who wanted to know the price.

15. Stephen Howard

Sounds like a proper idea to me - though if anyone wants a half-legible signature they'd better get there early...

Cheers!

16. half diminished

half diminished Senior Member

It's on my xmas list though mrs hd said immediately - "Choosing, why do you need a book on choosing a saxophone - you already have one" >:)

Of course I reminded her of the title 'Choosing, setting up and maintaining a saxophone '. Seems she's forgotten about the saxello already.

17. Moz

Moz Member

I have received a copy of the Haynes manual from Amazon priced at about £13, most interesting. The cover picture is of a BW sax. Haven't studied it in detail yet but at first skip-through it looks good enough to allow someone to do more than basic maintenance.

Cheers

Martin

18. chris_curtis

chris_curtis New Member

Mine came through from Amazon. So much detail and good to read - worth every penny.

19. old git

old git Tremendous Bore

The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
    Received my signed copy from Stephen this morning.

Thanks Stephen and just realised, after thinking about an ex called Stephanie, why we shouldn't shorten your name. ;}

Now if I can get Pete to autograph his picture, will enter it for next year's Turner Prize. :)

Seriously, looks a really good read but why does the BW silver alto on the front have bits that seemed to have been ordered originally for the Hanson range? :D

20. kevgermany

Mine arrived yesterday. Super book. The last Haynes manual I bought was for my Landrover, 20 years ago. What a difference. Content is just as good - or better. But the paper's a lot better. It's colour instead of murky B&W. And really well written. :welldone:welldone:welldone

Just one problem, and it's a serious one - I'm not allowed to have it until Christmas. :(

21. Mikec

Mikec Member

Mine's been taken away to be wrapped as well. It arrived very quickly; thanks Stephen.