No ads if you sign up and login
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cod Liver Oil

Discussion in 'Jazz Recipes' started by Saxlicker, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Saxlicker

Saxlicker Senior Member

Not really a recipe unless you know different.
    At the grand old age of 'something'...:shocked:
    I decided my joints may benefit from cod liver oil supplements because I'm not one for oily fish in my diet.
    I used to take the capsules as a fad some 18 years ago but I had 2 split in quick succession in one week and I really really did not deal with the way they repeated on me when that happened. It was like the end of the world for the rest of each of those days.
    I'm finally almost ready to give them a go again. Bought on by constant clicks and clunks of just about every joint I can think of.
    I searched the internet for ways to disguise the flavour and found that most of the replies are by over obsessed parents trying to spoon the stuff down toddlers!!

Do you have any tried and proven techniques beyond the flavoured ones? or am I being Namby Pamby?
    Please be gentle how you answer that last part I may cry.:crying:
  2. Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders Northern Commissioner for Caslm

Just man-up and get them down you! I swear by them.They were effective with my footballer's knees within a couple of weeks.
    You oil your saxes you must oil your legs.
    Andy
  3. Saxlicker

Saxlicker Senior Member

Thanks, I knew I could rely on you lot!

PS I have really soft feet and can't walk barefooted outside and I try not to break my nails :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
  4. TomMapfumo

TomMapfumo Well-Known Member

5. Saxlicker

Saxlicker Senior Member

Sounds good.
  6. Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders Northern Commissioner for Caslm

My Old Mum used to give us a spoonful of "Virol" to take the taste of the fish oil away, but that was oil on a spoon none of this mamby-pamby capsule nonsense. Virol tasted like the malt extract you make homebrew with.
    Olive oil and lemon oil.... I ask you!
  7. Fraser Jarvis

Fraser Jarvis Well-Known Member

We recently looked at this and found out the following: Much of the branded stuff from drug stores/supermarkets is very very low in actual cod liver oil and to get any real benefit you would need to take an excessive amount, also some have been shown to contain low level traces of Mercury!

Your best option would be to get the slightly larger fish oil capsules from Holland and Barret.
  8. O.C.V.

O.C.V. Member

Our dogs get a codliver oil capsule every day and they have lovely shiny coats. It might do the same for you !
    O.C.V.
  9. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

As a kid we had a teaspoonful each every morning. No mamby pamby and nothing to take the taste away. Quite liked it after a while....

We now do the Salmon oil/fish oil and a capsule before breakfast doesn't repeat.
  10. MandyH

MandyH Well-Known Member

personally I'm very sceptical as to the benefits of such supplements...

that said, I swear by vitamin C :)))

Could you try something highly flavoured to swallow it down? Bacon crisps, say, they could repeat on you all day instead :))) or maybe swig it down with a glass of orange juice?

I have no idea TBH, as someone whose legs have always ached, (I was born with CDH and my hips and knees have ached ever since) I've never thought that there might be a solution...
  11. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

The oil capsules have helped a lot with problems with the base of my thumbs. And also help my moods....
  12. Fraser Jarvis

13. MandyH

MandyH Well-Known Member

14. Rogerb

Rogerb Member

After about 40 years of varying joint pains, diagnosed as osteoarthritis, I suggested, on reading my routine blood test results, that it might actually be gout! I now take pills to reduce my uric acid level, and avoid oily fish which is high in 'purines', but had taken Eskimo Brainsharp (fish-oil plus a few other supposedly beneficial odds and ends...no purines) for a few years to boost Omega-3. etc.
    I experienced no benefit to my joints from taking fish oils(nor glucosamine), but controlling my UA levels certainly seems to have helped ..... fewer sharp pains in the knees and toes.
    I miss my sardines and mackerel, but it's a small price to pay for the reduced discomfort.
    After 5 ops on my left knee, it's never going to be brilliant, especially going down stairs and hills, but I am trying to avoid its getting bad enough to need a 'replacement', as my siblings' experience of these has not been very satisfactory.

I do recommend Brainsharp ... and to take it in liquid form ...5ml/day should suffice for most people .....it does not taste bad (I HATE the taste of cod-liver oil, even the 'flavoured' stuff) and there are no after-effects, PLUS it is hugely more economical than capsules. The makers of Brainsharp say that fish-oils that taste bad and 'repeat on you' are probably rancid, and certainly not as pure as theirs!!
    (I have just run-out and need to order more!)

It must help me with my pub-quizzes, I guess :D
  15. Fraser Jarvis

,I thought it was Garlic capsules that were supposedly good against getting colds and flu?
  16. TomMapfumo

The important thing in UK is not to take any notice of a "Low Fat Diet" which is why too many folks suffer from obesity and have stiffness throughout their bodies. Our bodies need fat in order to function well but too many folks take in an excess of carbohydrate which is stored as fat when exercise is not taken. With low fat diets people are too stiff to get exercise, and the problem gets worse.

In the South of France the diet is high fat/low carbohydrate - mostly poultry/fish oil etc. and 1/6th the quantity of refined carbohydrate of UK diets. Supplements end up just being an expensive way of managing a poor diet. C'est la vie............;}
  17. TomMapfumo

18. MandyH

MandyH Well-Known Member

19. TomMapfumo

20. oldblower

oldblower Member

Unless you have a poor diet or are food intolerant supplement pills are generally pointless with no solid medical evidence to support using them, it is however a massive industry which likes to sell us its products. Try reading the book Bad science by Ben Goldacre. Supplements do produce very expensive pee, you could collect it and recycle it!!
  21. MandyH

MandyH Well-Known Member

we put male urine in the compost bins, it works as an accelerator!!
  22. rudjarl

rudjarl Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM

23. tenorviol

tenorviol Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember from my O Level biology in mid 70s that the body is poor at storing vitamins and taking an excess of them by way of supplements is therefore no advantage and you're only throwing money away by doing so.
  24. Rogerb

Rogerb Member

Water soluble vitamins - such as the B group vitamins and vitamin C - cannot be stored by the body to any great extent, so if you take in more than your body needs, they are simply excreted. However, the fat soluble vitamins A and D can accumulate in the body, but pose no danger to your health if consumed within the safe upper limits indicated for them. The exception is in pregnancy, when large amounts of vitamin A may pose a risk to the developing infant.

Too much of anything ..... even water.... can be harmful!
  25. Jules

Jules Formerly known as "nachoman"

Re your fish oils- a decent brown bread roll, a peppered, smoked mackerel and a dollop of horseradish sauce.... that or smoked salmon trimmings & lemon juice... by far the best appreoach to oily fish consumption
  26. oldblower

oldblower Member

Now might have to hit the shops later sounds good.
  27. jeremyjuicewah

jeremyjuicewah Member

All these supplements are too confusing. I am going to have all moving parts replaced with ptfe and a cabbage put in for my tired old brain.
  28. Rogerb

Rogerb Member

Sadly, not for those who are liable to suffer from gout, which I am (or wheat intolerance, which I'm not) !
    Smoked mackerel and h'radish is delicious :(
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  29. TomMapfumo

Just blitz said salmon with some double cream, cream cheese, chopped spring onion, some cucumber flesh black pepper and lemon juice - way to go...............
  30. old git

old git Tremendous Bore

The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
    Now I know why they gave us cod liver oil and malt every morning during the WW2 at primary and junior school, all from the same spoon. Elf an Safety would ban it these days.

Garlic is supposed to thin the blood but not as much as Warfarin. >:)