1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chocolate Mousse

Discussion in 'Jazz Recipes' started by tenorviol, Sep 10, 2011.

1. tenorviol

tenorviol Well-Known Member

I picked this recipe up a few years ago, its a very good chocolate mousse, not as "stiff" as some some can be. The quality and grade of chocolate is an important factor: you need plain chocolate with a high cocoa content - something like a Lindt 70% :D or higher works well. I find that going up to 90% - that's too far...:confused:.

Ingredients

• 4 oz plain chocolate
    • 1 oz butter
    • 4 large eggs, separated
    • 4 oz caster sugar
    Method

• Break chocolate into pieces and melt together with butter in a bowl over a pan of just-boiling water (or a bain-marie if you have one). Don't over do this - take off heat as soon as done.
    • Whisk egg yolks and sugar together - it should go quite pale
    • Mix into the melted chocolate
    • Whisk egg whites until stiff (a small amount of sugar - about 1/8th of a teaspoon - added to the egg whites helps). Start whisk at low speed and gradually increase it as it gets more air in the mix (if you turn the bowl upside down, the egg-whites shouldn't move - that's 'stiff' :thumb:)
    • Use a METAL spoon, or a clean metal hand whisk, and fold in about 1/3 of the egg-whites into chocolate mix. This will help slacken the mix and make it easier to handle. Then fold in the rest of the egg-whites and mix thoroughly - don't be rough or you will lose the air from the mix
    • Pour into suitable dish or dishes and chill in refrigerator to let it set (couple of hours should be enough
    • Can be served with whipped cream :thumb:.
    Give it a whirl and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
  2. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

The way to a womens heart (bedroom) >:)

3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Chief of Stuff Cafe Moderator

Or a man's.

4. Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders Northern Commissioner for Caslm

5. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

Aren't you going to make some for him?

6. tenorviol

tenorviol Well-Known Member

I'm happy to try it out on people :w00t: at a social event... the slight snag is I'm on the Shropshire/Cheshire border...:shocked: so I suspect travel is a bit of an issue :(

Stanger things have happened.... like the group of ladies who came up to me and said: "Can we come round and you cook dinner for us? We'll pay the costs...." but that's another story...

7. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Chief of Stuff Cafe Moderator

Reminds me of a funny thing. We had been away and had taken my two year old son's favourite hot chocolate powder in a plastic bag as he preferred it to grandma's. We'd got home and dumped him and the luggage in the living room.

My wife walked into the living room where he had been unusually quiet for the last ten minutes. There he was with the bag of chocolate. His face was covered in chocolate as was most of him. he looked up guiltily and whimpered

"I found chocolate, please don't tell me off"

8. Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders Northern Commissioner for Caslm

No, but I might rustle up my old ma's Yorkshire Curd Tart. Puts hairs on your chest, or it did to my old ma.
    Andy

9. MandyH

MandyH Well-Known Member

Just an observation - I know you probably all know - but raw eggs (as in this recipe) should not be served to the old (hmmm many of the cafe regulars, then!!) pregnant women, or those with an chronic illness. Just in case, you know... :shocked:

10. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

It's the cream that whipped raw, the eggs are only whisked....

A few years back I lived in Plymouth. On the back of the salmonella scare, one of the local old age homes refused to serve eggs to the inmates. Led to some choice comments from them, especially a few WWII fighter pilots serving time there. They got it sortied in the end, but had to sign disclaimers.