Support the Cafe at Christmas
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chelsea Bridge Ben Webster

Discussion in 'Jazz' started by U CAN CALL ME AL, Mar 24, 2009.

1. U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL Member

Never owned or p[layed tenor but if I did would love to play like this

[YOUTUBE]UQJybhk47xU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Loading...

Possibly Similar Threads Forum Date
    Ben Webster, Oscar Peterson and Niels Henning ├śrsted Petersen Jazz Feb 23, 2014
    Ben Webster & Coleman Hawkins - It Never Entered My Mind 1957 Jazz May 8, 2013
    Ben Webster Jazz Jun 10, 2012

3. rhysonsax

rhysonsax Well-Known Member

Gorgeous tune and Ben really sings on this.

Our very own Stan Tracey at the piano. I wonder whether this is from the BBC's Jazz 625 series.

Rhys

4. Mamos

Mamos Member

Sweeeeeeet

I do like Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins playing Blues for Yolande

mamos

5. rhysonsax

Hey that's my favourite ever song !

I had it played last month on Radio 3 Jazz Record Requests for my mum's birthday. And I also got Curtis Swift (saxsolos.com) to transcribe the whole thing for me. He sells his excellent transcriptions for 50c per sheet.

Rhys

6. Mamos

Mamos Member

I tried to find it on youtube but couldn't:(

mamos

7. Young Col

Young Col Well-Known Member

That coda of Chelsea Bridge brought me out in goosebumps! Gorgeous! Looks like the Jazz 625 format. That takes you back! I think Coleman Hawkins did a set on it too. They reprised some a few years back (anniversary of BBC2?) including the Ellington one which I always remembered from the original was terrific and this time I taped it.

I've got that Ben Webster/Coleman Hawkins album on CD (recommended on here by...?) and I love the choice of melodies and the solos, but what actually irritates me is Bean's tone. He sounds like he's playing through a drainpipe; I'm sure was not his usual tone for the period.

Rhys I heard Yolande on JRR as well - so it was you asked for it for your mother was it! Good on you.
    Colin

8. jadoube

jadoube Member

I like it too. OTOH although my wife likes the rest of that Hawkins/Webster CD she dismisses that track as "strippers music".

I think this may say something about the impressions created by the use of saxophone in cinema and television over the past 30 years. - discuss;}

9. rhysonsax

There's a bit in Hawkins' solo where he is really reaching for a high note (I think it's a high G from my transcription) in a great repeated riff. My friend at university used to say it reminded him of straining with constipation !

Well that's lowered the tone nicely.

Rhys

PS I see you're in Fleet Jadoube, just down the road from me in Farnham. Do you do any playing locally ?

10. Young Col

Young Col Well-Known Member

Don't know about "lowered the tone" - squashed perhaps! Your friend's description is about right Rhys, although the effect he's going for is clear enough.

BTW, memory (probably faulty) suggests to me that the Hawkins Jazz 625 set had Sweets Edison on trumpet and Sir Charles Thompson on piano, among others, in support - but it was a long time ago now!
    Colin

11. jadoube

jadoube Member

Rhys,

Local- ish. Two training bands, one based in Bagshot. The other was in Tongham but has recently switched to Yateley.

Less sure about claiming I'm "playing". I make sounds, often the correct notes, occasionally for the correct duration, and sometimes even at the correct time. :D

What about you?

John

12. Chris J

Chris J Member

And to think Stan Tracey is still touring!!

I have a CD of Ben Webster and Stan Tracey "Soho Nights Volume 1" (a session at Ronnie Scott's) - great stuff

Chris

13. rhysonsax

Hi John,

I play bari in the Farnham Big Band, rehearsing every Tuesday night but only gigging occasionally. Also play tenor and alto in a 7 piece covers/function band that do various parties, balls, weddings locally. Our next gig is in Church Crookham for a PTA ball, which should be fun.

Rhys

14. la dannerie

la dannerie New Member

I own and play a tenor and I would love to play like this! Still trying after I saw Ben Webster play in about 1965, get there one day.