support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Best 'popsax' solo?

Don't know who played it, but I like the solo on Joan Armatrading's ' Love and Affection '.

Here you go mate ...

Don't know who played it, but I like the solo on Joan Armatrading's ' Love and Affection '.

It was Jimmy Jewell - See here [A4 - 4th one down mate]

-----------------

Bit more info here - In the eary years: {Scroll down to just above the photos}

Jimmy Jewell
moved to London and joined soul band The Freddie Mack Sound. He then toured Germany with The Paramounts, backing Chris Andrews, after which he joined Berlin band The Magics. Returning to London, he gigged briefly with Screaming Lord Sutch before working with soul band The Stuart James Inspiration until 1968.

1969 saw him playing blues-rock with The Keef Hartley Band, touring the USA and appearing at the Woodstock Festival, and recording the album The Battle Of North West Six with them. In 1971 he appeared on the McGuinness-Flint album Happy Birthday Ruthie Baby and then joined Ronnie Lane’s Slim Chance, gigging and appearing on the album Anymore For Anymore. From 1975 to 1977 he was with Gallagher and Lyle, and appeared on their albums Breakaway and Love On The Airwaves.

In the 1970s Jewell was a busy session musician, appearing on albums by Andy Fairweather Low, Maggie Bell, Fairport Convention, Roger Daltrey and The Hollies. His alto sax solo on Love and Affection on the Joan Armatrading album remains an influential classic. He also recorded two solo albums, I’m Amazed and From The First Time I Met You. After a period living in Chicago between 1978 and 1984, he returned to England to live in Kent.

Cheers ... ;}

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a great fan of her music for many years. But, sadly, not for the sax work. Changed now, her music is thin and the sax is great!

I'm not talking jazz, rock or blues.
Which solo do you think is the better?
Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty or Will You by Hazel O'Connor.
I think they are both outstanding.

the solo in Baker St was actually played by Raphael Ravenscroft who hangs about in Exeter Phoenix quite often. I introduced him to the participants of one of my workshops as 'the man who is to blame for all the requests for Baker St they will get on jazz gigs'

IMHO the best pop/soul solo by far is Wilton Felder's on Street Life

Pete

Thanks Sunray,
Names like Maggie Bell, McGuinness Flint and Gallagher & Lyle certainly bring back memories. I've never seen the Discogs site. Looks like the kind of place I could spend many a happy hour!

IMHO the best pop/soul solo by far is Wilton Felder's on Street Life
Pete

I'll agree on this one, yes it's a great solo piece, and it's also the song that made me aware of Randy Crawford as an artist

Kev

Agree with Wilton on Street Life......... also Shakatak, Street Walkin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovyIEv4fdU

and also Sting with Branford on Englishman in NY

I'm not talking jazz, rock or blues.
Which solo do you think is the better?
Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty or Will You by Hazel O'Connor.
I think they are both outstanding.
Has to be Baker Street for me such a great sax solo although Junior Walker is the reason I wanted to play sax , I saw him on the same show as Jimmy James and The Vagabonds and The Temptations at The Hammersmith Odeon In London and He blew them all off the stage the place was jumping when Junior Played Hit after Hit, Roadrunner,Shotgun,Shoot Your Shot what a sax player He was simply The Best

Urgent - Foreigner with Jr Walker on the sax, this is the solo that made me pick up the saxophone.

And the award for thread necromancy goes to...............

My all time stuck in my head pop sax has to be Jr Walker . Walk in the Night.

And the award for thread necromancy goes to...............

My all time stuck in my head pop sax has to be Jr Walker . Walk in the Night.
I agree Colin it's a great song and Junior Walker is the Sax Man as far as I'm concerned nobody makes a Tenor Sax wail and Scream like Junior does

Will you is great, also Street life-another great solo is EWF, at the end of After the love is gone, which unfortunately is often faded out!

Has anyone flagged John Helliwell on Supertramp Live in Paris? Its ages since I've heard that album but I remember there being some pretty tasty tenor solos

Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat, a 70s/80s ska band from Birmingham, with Saxa (Lionel Augustus Martin).

Urgent - Foreigner with Jr Walker on the sax, this is the solo that made me pick up the saxophone.

I've never heard this before.... I didn't like the song at all but the sax solo was amazing! I wish I could remove it from the song and listen to it on its own.

I agree Colin it's a great song and Junior Walker is the Sax Man as far as I'm concerned nobody makes a Tenor Sax wail and Scream like Junior does
Listening to this for the first time.... I agree too!

I've got to say, I find a lot of these pop sax solos too cheesy to tolerate. However, Jack Schroer's alto solo on Moondance has always appealed. It's short, melodic and rhythmically right 'in the pocket'.

Having said that, like Jules, I love Davey Payne's bonkers playing with the blockheads and Felder on Streetlife is awesome.