Cafe SaxophoneCafe Saxophone
Cafe Saxophone Search
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PPT Mouthpieces
  3. StaotHello Guest

Support the Forum - it doesn't necessarily mean paying anything!

More Information here

4. The new Pete Thomas CD - BIG!

Joshua Redman

Discussion in 'Great Saxophone Players' started by FastFred, Mar 20, 2009.

1. FastFred

FastFred Member

Went to see this guy last night at Ronnie Scotts in London. He is a heck of a player, a bit abstract for me at the moment but his encore was a funk number and he somehow managed to get a slapping bass sound out of the sax while he was playing a melody! Had quite a few interesting sounds i had never heard before. Worth seeing him. Enjoy.
    Subscribe to lose these ads
    Other ways to support the forum More Info
  2. Jules

Jules Formerly known as "nachoman"

Can anyone recommend a good starting point CD-wise? I'm told Freedom in the Groove's a good 'un...?
  3. Calbo

Calbo New Member

I've got Mood Swing and Back East, recommend them both. The first track on Mood Swing, Sweet Sorrow has some really great moody sax playing.
  4. tengu01

tengu01 Member

If you like his less abstract playing, you should check out his album "Freedom in The Groove". It's more funk and blues oriented is absolutely amazing

Happy listening
  5. FastFred

FastFred Member

Thanks, will do.
  6. visionari1

visionari1 Senior Member

Joshua Redman does an awesome version of St Thomas, where he goes solo for 5 min plus then the band comes in......he is one super creative dude.
    There are quite a few podcast interviews of him at NPR and Jazz Corner, good background material as to his approach to sax playing.
    Ciao
    Jimu
  7. BirdHead90

BirdHead90 New Member

Don't listen to Joshua Redman! His playing is absolutely abominable, you should be listening to his father instead, DEWEY REDMAN He is a stunning musician! He's got more musicality in his toe-jam than Joshua has in his whole being.
  8. Pyrografix

Pyrografix Senile Member

.......in your opinion.........
  9. BirdHead90

BirdHead90 New Member

Pyrografix, spend some time listening to Tarik and Look For The Black Star then repeat that statement, telling me who the superior musician is. Perhaps you should seriously reconsider who you are spending time (or in this case, wasting time) listening to. If you want to be a saxophone player, then listen to musicians who can play the saxophone to a world-class standard. Joshua Redman is not one of those musicians.
  10. andyb1970

andyb1970 Member

Oh get over yourself..jeez.....
  11. Juju

Juju Member

@ BirdHead: Are you for real??? :confused:
  12. trimmy

trimmy One day i will...

Both are very good players in different era's, i do like Dewey's sound
  13. XasGotan

XasGotan Member

Of the few I know I would recommend "Compass" that also includes some sublime soprano playing and a tenor version of a slightly jazzified Beethoven Moonlight Sonata.
  14. cjR

cjR New Member

Thats the album I was also going to mention. Got turned onto it very recently and absolutely love it.
  15. Rogerb

Rogerb Member

I got seriously flamed in the SOTW forum for having the temerity to say that, while Dewey was, IMO, a hugely talented sax player, his choice of material was just not my cup of tea.
    I was even pitied for not, like the writer, being blessed with the ability to 'get' him :shocked: :)

So I listened to some of Joshua's playing with some caution, expecting to think much the same.
    Well, I was wrong ... Redman Jr was very entertaining, talented, and amazing to listen-to ... although I rather suspect that I'd tire of his gymnastics after a while, he can surely play a lovely ballad, when the mood takes him.
    He can produce sounds such as I have never heard from a tenor sax!
  16. baritonesax

baritonesax Member

Joshua is a very talented player, although he can be guilty of Ministry of Silly Walks antics as he's soloing.

Thanks for reviving this thread. BirdHead90 was one of the more extraordinary people to pass through this forum. Had rather a high opinion of himself, as I recall.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
  17. ArtyLady

ArtyLady Senior Member

Totally different to each other if you ask me - Joshua is far more contemporary and up my street but each to their own..........
  18. thesaxman71

thesaxman71 Well-Known Member

Joshua is spot on, his own style. Have you had a listen to Alex Hann (not trying to gazump the thread)? i will be seeing mr Miller in a couple of months and Alex is his sax player, nice combo they have.