Cafe Saxophone Cafe Saxophone Search
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. StaotHello Guest

Please support the Forum - financially or otherwise!

More Information here

3. The new Pete Thomas CD - BIG!

Haynes Saxophone Manual

Discussion in 'Saxophone (technical)' started by Chris98, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Chris98

Chris98 Senior Member

I knew Stephen Howard was working on the Haynes Saxophone Manual and he did say it would be available around Christmas so I did a quick hunt and here it is:

[​IMG]

500 colour illustrations, I bet that took a fair bit of time to do.

I'm sure that sliver saxophone on the cover looks a little familiar.
    Subscribe to lose these ads
    Other ways to support the forum More Info
  2. kevgermany

kevgermany Landrover Nut Cafe Moderator

Thanks, I want one. Pity it's not available yet - and no pre-orders :-(
  3. Stephen Howard

Stephen Howard Senior Member

Yep - it's due out any day now!

I can't wait myself - although I've seen the proofs ( and written the thing! ) I won't quite believe it until I have a copy of the book in my hands. It'll mark the end of two years of hard graft ( something I'm not used to! ).

It seems to be available from a number of places at various prices, but if anyone fancies a signed copy I'll be selling them via my website in due course.

As for the horn on the front cover, it's the Bauhaus-Walstein pro horn - the tenor is used in the book for the articles. I took a number of test shots of various horns and the BW looked the best by far.

Regards,
  4. old git

old git Tremendous Bore

The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
    Stephen,
    Congratulations on completing your task.

Trust there is a dedication to the heroine of my 'Incredibly Famous Saxophonist' thread as Griff has proved too proud to acknowledge The Real Master Technician.
  5. Stephen Howard

I wanted to put in a dedication to the great Minnie Banninster, but I got caught out by the Great Ink Shortage. By the time I managed to buy a small quantity from Messrs. Thynne % Moriarty I'd succumbed to the Spon Plague and had to spend a week at the Goosey % Bawkes Sanitorium for Distressed Vagabonds and subsequently missed the publication date.

Regards,
  6. Phil Edwards

Phil Edwards Senior Member

Hi Stephen, did me ol' Martin's felt buffer picture make it to the rarified world of hard-copy, or not...

glad to see you're done now,

Phil
  7. Stephen Howard

It did indeed ( or at least it was there in the proofs ) - so you win a signed copy and a mention in the acknowledgements!

Cheers,
  8. kevgermany

Signed first edition - now we're talking. Please let us know when!
  9. jadoube

jadoube Member

Stephen, what are the chances on that option having delivery before Christmas?

When the season of goodwill to all men degenerates into the traditional row over a game of monopoly, granny hovers hopefully under the mistletoe, and the cat does something unpleasant in the dining room it would be good to be able to retire to a quiet room and seek calm with a good book.
  10. SaxinNZ

SaxinNZ Member

Yes please Sir

.. put me down for one:D should get my new BW Tenor any day now. I'm sure it will come with a basic operators manual, but you cant beat a Haynes if you want to get down and dirty! Popping the bonnet is one thing, but correct fluid levels, pressures and gasket changing, well you cant do it without a good manual!:welldone
  11. Mamos

Mamos Member

Well that's going on my Christmas list

mamos
  12. Stephen Howard

The publication date is 'any day now' - and I've reserved a number of copies, so there shouldn't be any problem with delivery well before Crimbo.

Regards,
  13. rhysonsax

rhysonsax Well-Known Member

What about an author's signing session possibly at a local literary establishment that serves beer ?

Rhys

PS I like the story of the important author who wrote a dedication to "Emma Chiset" after misunderstaning the approach of a potential reader who wanted to know the price.
  14. Stephen Howard

Sounds like a proper idea to me - though if anyone wants a half-legible signature they'd better get there early...

Cheers!
  15. half diminished

half diminished Senior Member

It's on my xmas list though mrs hd said immediately - "Choosing, why do you need a book on choosing a saxophone - you already have one" >:)

Of course I reminded her of the title 'Choosing, setting up and maintaining a saxophone '. Seems she's forgotten about the saxello already.
  16. Moz

Moz Member

I have received a copy of the Haynes manual from Amazon priced at about £13, most interesting. The cover picture is of a BW sax. Haven't studied it in detail yet but at first skip-through it looks good enough to allow someone to do more than basic maintenance.

Cheers

Martin
  17. chris_curtis

chris_curtis New Member

Mine came through from Amazon. So much detail and good to read - worth every penny.
  18. old git

old git Tremendous Bore

The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
    Received my signed copy from Stephen this morning.

Thanks Stephen and just realised, after thinking about an ex called Stephanie, why we shouldn't shorten your name. ;}

Now if I can get Pete to autograph his picture, will enter it for next year's Turner Prize. :)

Seriously, looks a really good read but why does the BW silver alto on the front have bits that seemed to have been ordered originally for the Hanson range? :D
  19. kevgermany

Mine arrived yesterday. Super book. The last Haynes manual I bought was for my Landrover, 20 years ago. What a difference. Content is just as good - or better. But the paper's a lot better. It's colour instead of murky B&W. And really well written. :welldone:welldone:welldone

Just one problem, and it's a serious one - I'm not allowed to have it until Christmas. :(
  20. Mikec

Mikec Member

Mine's been taken away to be wrapped as well. It arrived very quickly; thanks Stephen.
  21. Ben Cain

Ben Cain Member

Manual

Hi,
    MIne ordered in last 2 mins from Amazon, wife is going to take it away and wrap up for Santa to deliver to me!
  22. Stephen Howard

I'm really very touched by your compliments, it means a great deal to me - thank you all.

It seems the "Crimbo snatch' is a common theme - a couple of people have emailed to say that the book arrived as was duly snatched by the missus and converted into a Christmas present.
    One chap said it was going to be the very first thing he opened on Christmas morning - and unless any of the other presents contain the keys to an Aston Martin DB9, his response is likely to be "Yeah, ta, shove it over there..."

Cheers,
  23. rhysonsax

rhysonsax Well-Known Member

My signed copy came last week and it looks superb. The photography is excellent - maybe your next book should be a collection of photos of the various saxes that come through your workshop.

Many thanks to Steve.

Rhys

PS Could the Keilwerth straight alto on page 63 be mine ?
  24. Stephen Howard

Cheers Rhys, glad you liked it!

Yes - the straight alto is indeed yours. I very nearly got the Uber-Baritone in too, but the editor nixed my to-scale collage of the complete family of saxes.
    I've had a few other clients ask "Is that my horn on page xyz?"

Regards,
  25. half diminished

half diminished Senior Member

Well I asked for one. Of course I don't yet know f I'm getting one so I might have to buy it my self in the New Year!

Hope you have the relevant 'model releases' signed. :)
  26. robert1960

robert1960 Member

I've got mine. I haven't had a chance to read it properly yet but it looks like an excellent book. The photography is wonderful. All I need to do now, is to persuade my wife to let me by an old sax to practice on.
  27. Chris98

Chris98 Senior Member

I wonder if Steven has an emergency hot line set up for tomorrow? I can just imagine it, in households all over the country the keen sax player opens their presents to find a copy of Steven's book. With the clear instructions and wonderful illustrations the well meaning player now well lubricated from the lunchtime meal rummages in the drawer, the screwdriver set comes out and a little DIY takes place!

Merry Christmas and happy tinkering,

Chris
  28. Rogerb

Rogerb Member

I hope that Martin, who promised to send me a signed copy, doesn't forget, Stephen :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009
  29. Howard Long

Howard Long Member

Wow, what a unique book, I have never seen any other book that even starts to approach it on content or detail. I can't imagine why any saxophonist wouldn't have a copy of this. Essential reading, people! And those superb pictures - it must've taken forever.

...but I'm not sure I'm up to getting the blow torch out quite yet!

Cheers, Howard (namesake but no relation I hasten to add)
  30. Ben Cain

Ben Cain Member

Hooray

HI ,
    I was able to open mine this morning and been browsing all day. Superbly written and photographed.
    Well done Stephen, a real enthusiasts treat!
    Wife however cannot understand my excitement. Strange creatures, women who do not play sax that is.
    Many thanks again
    Ben Cain
  31. kevgermany

Looks like mine wasn't destined for the Christmas snatch.... :w00t: But the birthday snatch. Another week to go....
  32. Andrew Sanders

Andrew Sanders Northern Commissioner for Caslm

First born, clever girl, gave me a copy of Stephen's book yesterday.
    I haven't felt so excited to get a book since Christmas 1964 when I got both the Dandy and Beano annuals.
    Brilliant Stephen! You have made a happy man feel very old.
    Andrew
  33. Mamos

Mamos Member

I got a copy as well

Maybe I will be able to get that old C-Melody playing again

Only had time to flick through it yesterday but it looks fantastic and full of proper information

mamos
  34. SteveK

SteveK Member

Santa brought me a copy yesterday - well worth a read but I am going to have to get a old horn to try this out on otherwise I just know I am destined for big repair bills to put right what I have undone >:)
    It's like climbing a tree - always easier on the way up.
    Steve
  35. Rodzart

Rodzart New Member

Hakatere,Nr Ashburton, South Island, New Zealand
    Just ordered one from a New Zealand bookshop Fishpond.co.nz
    now I have to be patient until it arrives, can't wait :)
    Rod
  36. Stephen Howard

Many thanks for the kind comments - I'm delighted that you're all pleased with the book! I've had some wonderful feedback thus far, and it's so encouraging to see that there are plenty of players out they're who are just itching to get tweaking.

Cheers,
  37. U CAN CALL ME AL

U CAN CALL ME AL Member

Father Christmas cruelly screwed up the delivery of my Haynes manual. Thankfully it arrived today with my daughter coming for a belated Christmas visit. I had managed a sneak preview at my local bookstore and although not having had quite enough time to read all of it yet I am very impressed. Having been previously a self educated tweaker I am sure I will feel more confident in making oft needed minor adjustments. Many thanks SH for a well conceived and executed tome.
  38. JasonC

JasonC Member

I've just ordered this manual, it looks great. Does anyone know if there is an electronic version available in say PDF format?
  39. Stephen Howard

I'm afraid there isn't a PDF version, though I did note that there are some Haynes manuals available as iPhone apps. They appear to be somewhat scaled down though.

Regards,
  40. JasonC

JasonC Member

Hi Stephen,

No problem, its just that I spend most my life on my computer (unfortunately!) and I could have had a scout through the manual while I'm working, its fine though. Looking forward to receiving it :)

Many thanks
    Jason