Cafe Saxophone Cafe Saxophone Search
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. StaotHello Guest

Please support the Forum - financially or otherwise!

More Information here

3. The new Pete Thomas CD - BIG!

Cure for dry reed?

Discussion in 'Playing' started by AndyB, Aug 24, 2009.

1. AndyB

AndyB Member

One thing that bothers me on both tenor and alto is that after practicing about 20 minutes my reed is bone dry. I can't practice much longer without having to take the reed off and wetting it again. Is there any solution for this?
    Thanks!
    AndyB :confused:
    Subscribe to lose these ads
    Other ways to support the forum More Info
  2. losaavedra

losaavedra Member

Lucky man! I have the opposite problem in that after that amount of time I need to remove my (alto) reed, wipe it off ... and pull through the mp to get rid of the considerable moisture build up. That's without pre-wetting the reed at all, at least no more than a simple lick, before I start. My 'over-wetness' effects everything ... causes squeaks, random octave jumps and also dribbles out over my fingers, so I have to stop and fix it. If I drink anything within 5 or 10 minutes of starting then its even worse. Maybe a handy glass of water would help in your case, just take a couple of swigs now and again to see if it improves the moisture content of a blow.
  3. Nick Cook

Nick Cook Member

I'm the same as Mike - never had a dry reed - wetness everywhere!!!!
  4. Tommy Ng

Tommy Ng Member

do you have a dry tongue??? :confused:
  5. DaveW

DaveW Member

6. ArtyLady

ArtyLady Senior Member

Same here! I have to keep wiping the reed and sucking up excess dribble or it sounds spitty (sorry TMI) and dribble leaks out over my right forefinger and middle finger!! :shocked:
  7. AndyB

AndyB Member

Maybe I'm dehydrated. I have been doing 40 minutes almost every night on an elliptical machine for 10 weeks. When I stop for a weekend when I'm not at home I instantly gain 1-2 pounds of water weight so maybe its just dehydration.
  8. phooesnax

phooesnax Member

fibracells or bari plastics.... I love the fibracell on bari, tenor and sop..... bari plastic works awesome on the my meyer 5M. No warm up needed. Especially helpful when doubling.
  9. AndyB

AndyB Member

That does make sense for doubling. I tried them on alto and found that when they go, they go big time and split on the edges and curled up and cut my lip.
  10. tengu01

tengu01 Member

Occasionally, when I've been playing outdoors, I find that my reed does dry up and becomes a beast to play. A good sip of water usually sorts things out, as my mouth feeling dry tends to go hand in hand with the reed drying out. Saves having to take off the reed and fiddle about. Alternatively, give the reed a good soaking before hand (sorry, not assuming you start with it dry, but putting it in some water and really letting it sit for about 5 - 10 mins can make a huge difference in how long it remains pliant. At least for me)
  11. half diminished

half diminished Senior Member

If you watch 'top' sax players they often suck/lick the reed between silent passages to keep them moist. Me, I'm a dribbler so no problem for me.