Cafe Saxophone Cafe Saxophone Search
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. StaotHello Guest

Support the Forum - it doesn't necessarily mean paying anything!

More Information here

3. The new Pete Thomas CD - BIG!

Auto save

Discussion in 'Forum Tech Support (NOT saxophones!)' started by Nick Wyver, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Nick Wyver

Nick Wyver noisy

When I'm typing an answer, every so often a little pop-up appears saying "auto-saved". This would be very handy since I quite often exit the page I'm typing on to look something up and lose everything I've typed (it's an age thing). Or at least it would be handy if I knew where it saved it to. Anyone got any idea?
    Subscribe to lose these ads
    Other ways to support the forum More Info
  2. Young Col

Young Col Well-Known Member

I wondered this too Nick. I thought it might help with the timing out problem that Wade puts up in another thread and which I suffer (so I save everything before I post it just in case). Likewise, anyone, Pete?
  3. rudjarl

rudjarl Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM

Auto-saved only means that if your browser crashes it will be able to restore the text you have written at the time of saving. It is not otherwise accessible.

On the other hand, there is a utility called Lazarus (waking up from the dead, remember?) that works with most browsers. It remembers the text you have written and lets you paste it into text boxes, usually by right clicking or clicking on an accompanying icon.
  4. BeBopSop

BeBopSop Member

If I have a long item to type (I am slow) I type it in microsoft word, at my leasure, and then copy and paste into the forum.
    This is usefull in paypal and bank sites where they time you out and you have to start again
  5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Chief of Stuff

Not quite, you can retrieve auto saved content even if your browser doesn't crash.

If you log out or turn your browser off, if something you were writing has been auto saved, you can access it the next time you post, you should see a message in the bottom left of the post field "Restore auto saved content" or something like that.

auto save.jpg
    It will be overwritten if you meanwhile start a different post, it only saves the last content you did.
  6. rudjarl

rudjarl Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM

You are right, it does. I stand corrected.
  7. Nick Wyver

Nick Wyver noisy